Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 10:00 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,162,733 times

Advertisements

According to former mayor Bob Young, local power brokers want someone challenge Hardie Davis.

Quote:
Copenhaver would not rule out another run for office, although he denied using the radio show to increase his name recognition.
“I’ll never rule anything out,” he said, “but I can unequivocally say I am not using this as a platform to run for mayor.”
The news perhaps eases pressure on Davis, who despite a few first-term hiccups is running headlong for a second term in the May 2018 election.
“Everything we’re doing is with the next five years in mind,” Davis said. “Without question, I am running for re-election.”
But rumors have been rampant, and several Augusta Commission members and other local politicos continue to speculate that Copenhaver will run again. Others had heard that Commissioner Sean Frantom might run instead.
Former Mayor Bob Young, who said he is not running for the office, said Copenhaver’s unwillingness to say for certain indicates he likely will run.
Copenhaver first became mayor in 2005 when he won in a runoff over interim Mayor Willie Mays to fill out the remaining year left in the term of Young, who resigned to accept a presidential appointment with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. In 2006, Copenhaver won the first of two consecutive four-year terms.
Local power brokers are looking for someone to run against Davis, said Young, a former news anchorman, and “it definitely helps being in the media, because of name recognition.”
Former Augusta mayor says he
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 08:37 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,517,919 times
the current demographics of Augusta do not favor someone of their complexion being elected mayor

Old 02-19-2017, 09:49 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,095,909 times
The current demographics had Deke win two straight elections with over 60% of the vote. Sound like they favor his complexion.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:43 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,175,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
The current demographics had Deke win two straight elections with over 60% of the vote. Sound like they favor his complexion.
Exactly. I voted for deke both times he ran.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:35 PM

180 posts, read 158,865 times
Wait! Is Hardie doing something wrong with the conservatives down there in the Garden City? It seems like he's a "one and done" kind of guy right now.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:25 PM

568 posts, read 698,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Exactly. I voted for deke both times he ran.
Hell I voted for the guy 12 times in both elections...

Old 02-19-2017, 07:19 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,386,825 times
I have nothing against Deke. I thought he did good with what he had Aka dysfunction commissioners body. But he was a little to weak for me as a leader. Im not saying Hardie is so much better than deke in that category. If deke runs against we want make anymore progress than what we have now. If anything I would rather have someone different all together or keep what we have. Hardie is not bad to me. At less he put money into second class citizen south augusta

Old 02-19-2017, 07:35 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,911,825 times
It doesn't matter who the mayor is, Augusta Richmond County will continue to suffer because of the Weak-Mayor form of government that gives the commission most of the power. If we are going to continue to operate in this manner Deke as a figure head is probably the best option. Augusta is too big and complex to not have one main person who can be held accountable. It's that simple.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:58 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,517,919 times
The mayor is little more than a figure head.. the position is essentially meaningless. The mayor has no vote and cannot veto. The city administrator runs day to day operation for the city. As for being a cheerleader, Deke was pretty effective, but he always shied away from anything controversial. IN any case, he needs to figure out something to do OTHER than talk radio. His morning show is a big dud.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:33 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,386,825 times
We need a mayor that don't play second fiddle to the commissioners. Deke didn't do anything for south augusta or east augusta in eight year he served as mayor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
View detailed profiles of: