Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2017, 05:44 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,164,606 times

Advertisements

The possible redevelopment of these two buildings would be a major boost for Broad St.
Quote:
The new investors aren’t being named yet. But Blanchard and Calhoun Vice President and Director of Commercial Real Estate, Davis Beman, told NewsChannel 6 the entire Lamar Building was sold in December 2016. Next door is the Marion Building. Beman said it is currently under contract and being studied along with its parking lot. The two buildings are a few of Augusta’s tallest and as downtown gets redeveloped to meet the growth of nearly five thousand people, Beaman said it could become mixed use office space, residential or hospitality space. The buildings could both include higher end restaurants and higher end retail.

“I think it’s great news. My personal problem is that I’ve been waiting for that. [I’ve been] Working towards that for all of these years. We have been through very bad times and good times. Now we are starting to see things happen, we are forced out,” she explained.

It’s an empty spot now, but there used to be a TV sitting up at the top of the restaurant. That’s where Boykin first saw the September 11th terrorist attacks. She opened Coffee Break one month before that happened.
Lamar, Marion Buildings emptied and set for future | WJBF-TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 05:19 AM

450 posts, read 597,417 times
So many times big plans were announced for downtown Augusta. So many times those plans quietly faded away. Lots of folks want to see the downtown area busy and attractive again but yet when developers spend time and money making improvements like this very few actually come downtown and support the new attractions. The area got a bad rap a while back but things have indeed changed for the better. Columbia county and North Augusta are growing faster because people are afraid of downtown Augusta. The Sheriff has increased patrols and downtown Augusta is no more dangerous than any other medium sized city. Let's get behind the effort. If we support downtown businesses they will stay and others will move here. It's really a win win win situation whose success is in our hands. At this point in life I really don't want to live in a ghost town.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:40 AM

I agree with the points you raise, but I believe this time will be different because with influx of new people coming downtown because of cyber command and Augusta University, downtown has no choice but to go up. The millennials want to live in vibrant urban cores and Augusta is slowly but surely making strides into becoming the heart of the region again.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:55 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,100,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worren View Post
So many times big plans were announced for downtown Augusta. So many times those plans quietly faded away. Lots of folks want to see the downtown area busy and attractive again but yet when developers spend time and money making improvements like this very few actually come downtown and support the new attractions. The area got a bad rap a while back but things have indeed changed for the better. Columbia county and North Augusta are growing faster because people are afraid of downtown Augusta. The Sheriff has increased patrols and downtown Augusta is no more dangerous than any other medium sized city. Let's get behind the effort. If we support downtown businesses they will stay and others will move here. It's really a win win win situation whose success is in our hands. At this point in life I really don't want to live in a ghost town.
In 2017 there is a lot more ongoing/planned construction in downtown Augusta. Both Mullins Crossing and the Plaza at Evans Town center are nice projects. The Plaza at Evans Town Center will be developed in phases. Project Jackson in North Augusta is marketed at $200 million, but in multiple phases over several years..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I agree with the points you raise, but I believe this time will be different because with influx of new people coming downtown because of cyber command and Augusta University, downtown has no choice but to go up. The millennials want to live in vibrant urban cores and Augusta is slowly but surely making strides into becoming the heart of the region again.
DT Augusta? or Augusta? Augusta is already the heart of the region.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
In 2017 there is a lot more ongoing/planned construction in downtown Augusta. Both Mullins Crossing and the Plaza at Evans Town center are nice projects. The Plaza at Evans Town Center will be developed in phases. Project Jackson in North Augusta is marketed at $200 million, but in multiple phases over several years..

DT Augusta? or Augusta? Augusta is already the heart of the region.
I was talking about DT Augusta.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:26 PM

568 posts, read 698,627 times
Ahhhhhhhh... but what of Uptown..... or dare I say it... Mid-Town?

Be still my heart of the region....

Old 03-08-2017, 01:45 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pu239 View Post
Ahhhhhhhh... but what of Uptown..... or dare I say it... Mid-Town?

Be still my heart of the region....
I always get a chuckle out of the term midtown. where is it exactly? I know there is a midtown manhattan and a Midtown in ATlanta, but a midtown Augusta? Alsi it seems like the local media has started referring to everything within the old city limits as "downtown". On the news last night they reported that 3 houses were damaged by fire downtown. Then they reported the houses were located on Moore Street behind the now closed Kroger on 15th St. I'm sorry but that is NOT downtown, that is Harrisburg.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:57 PM

Well there's aways North Richmond

Old 03-08-2017, 03:51 PM

568 posts, read 698,627 times
Those North Richmond folks have such an accent....

Old 03-08-2017, 04:31 PM

Yes..Very haughty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area