Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 12:48 PM

121 posts, read 109,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pu239 View Post
"Okay...so you don't think there's a coherent, positive regional plan. Well, you could pick up your marbles (or brick metaphorically) and rant on an internet board about how awful the city center is and how they've "failed time and time again" and call it a day. Doesn't seem particularly productive or at all solution oriented. Perhaps working with others to encourage the change you seek might be more worthwhile? Perhaps getting involved politically (even if to only volunteer) and back candidates that share your vision of a healthy and unified metro might be helpful? Or...you can just wait until such time as ARC will "get itself in gear"...all the while being divisive and promoting sprawl. I'd argue, be a part of the solution, but that's just me."

And you tell us how RC has "everything"... I ask you the same question I asked earlier... when was the last time you drove Gordon Highway from 520 to Walton Way and were impressed with what you saw?

Have you Driven or walked down Glenn Hills Drive in South Augusta? Or Meadowbrook? or Richmond Hill Road? Or Rosier Road? After conolidation, The City of Augusta destroyed these neighborhoods by wanting to be the next (insert BS name here.) Instead of planning and thinking of the citizens... it was/is all about how they get theirs..

I do support anyone or anyplan to remove TPTB... but they are so ingrained and connected it's pretty much impossible.

Example.. you declare an area a slum to get a tax advantage... then some cheerleader comes on City-Data to crow about the fastest rising city in the souteast..
You act like augusta is the only area in country dealing with these problems gentrification allowing the area to be called that to give tax credits to that area to help make it change around for the better. You know why Cc doesn't have this problem because they have been rural most of its life And doesn't have distinct urban area or downtown that has problems like that. Many us cities use that distinction to help there urban area surrounding their downtowns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 02:05 PM

568 posts, read 698,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All In for Augusta View Post
You act like augusta is the only area in country dealing with these problems gentrification allowing the area to be called that to give tax credits to that area to help make it change around for the better. You know why Cc doesn't have this problem because they have been rural most of its life And doesn't have distinct urban area or downtown that has problems like that. Many us cities use that distinction to help there urban area surrounding their downtowns.
And you act like Augusta Richmond County is a saviour... I dont' think so...

How about you All in... does the Gordon Highway cooridor impress you? Does that make you think great things about Augusta?

Old 05-06-2017, 02:22 PM

120 posts, read 154,850 times
Quote:
"Okay...so you don't think there's a coherent, positive regional plan. Well, you could pick up your marbles (or brick metaphorically) and rant on an internet board about how awful the city center is and how they've "failed time and time again" and call it a day. Doesn't seem particularly productive or at all solution oriented. Perhaps working with others to encourage the change you seek might be more worthwhile? Perhaps getting involved politically (even if to only volunteer) and back candidates that share your vision of a healthy and unified metro might be helpful? Or...you can just wait until such time as ARC will "get itself in gear"...all the while being divisive and promoting sprawl. I'd argue, be a part of the solution, but that's just me."

And you tell us how RC has "everything"... I ask you the same question I asked earlier... when was the last time you drove Gordon Highway from 520 to Walton Way and were impressed with what you saw?

Have you Driven or walked down Glenn Hills Drive in South Augusta? Or Meadowbrook? or Richmond Hill Road? Or Rosier Road? After conolidation, The City of Augusta destroyed these neighborhoods by wanting to be the next (insert BS name here.) Instead of planning and thinking of the citizens... it was/is all about how they get theirs..

I do support anyone or anyplan to remove TPTB... but they are so ingrained and connected it's pretty much impossible.

Example.. you declare an area a slum to get a tax advantage... then some cheerleader comes on City-Data to crow about the fastest rising city in the souteast..
In answer to your question...I've never driven Gordon Highway from 520 to Walton Way. I don't currently live in Augusta...nor have I ever. I've spent a lot of time (and money) in your fine city...enjoying much of what the downtown area has to offer...but that's it. I'm (clearly) no expert on Augusta. My contribution to this thread was simply to offer an (outsiders) opinion/perspective in this debate on the relative merits of Richmond County/Augusta versus the surrounding counties. You might not share my opinion...or even like it...that's fine, and also the American way!

Yes, I've explained how Richmond County has "everything"...quite literally it does. It has, almost exclusively, every single metric that goes into producing a higher quality of life score...you know, those things that people and business evaluate when deciding where to live and locate. As I mentioned earlier, this isn't an opinion...an idea...or a wish...it's a fact. Some, I'm afraid, take this as an attack line, and most assuredly it's not meant to be. Columbia County is a wonderful bedroom community of Augusta, I have no doubt. I'm quite sure the homes are nice...the schools top notch...and its a safe, wonderful place to raise a family. As red, white and blue as all of that is...Richmond County/Augusta is the economic engine that makes EVERYTHING else possible...including Columbia County. I'm sorry that makes some uncomfortable.

Lastly, I offered some advice on where (and how positively) to direct the anger and vitriol I too often see on display here. It was an opinion...agree or disagree. In my experience, many who complain and are quick to point out problems are the slowest when it comes to engaging with their community and fighting for positive change...this is NOT directed at anybody on this board/thread...just an observation.

Have an awesome Saturday!

Paul

Old 05-06-2017, 03:31 PM

568 posts, read 698,627 times
"In answer to your question...I've never driven Gordon Highway from 520 to Walton Way. I don't currently live in Augusta...nor have I ever. I've spent a lot of time (and money) in your fine city...enjoying much of what the downtown area has to offer...but that's it. I'm (clearly) no expert on Augusta. My contribution to this thread was simply to offer an (outsiders) opinion/perspective in this debate on the relative merits of Richmond County/Augusta versus the surrounding counties. You might not share my opinion...or even like it...that's fine, and also the American way!"

Paul, I think you are missing so much of the back story, that it's difficult for you understand.

You see the forest... but many of us who have lived here all of our lives, have seen our trees clear cut and a parking lot built. Then to be told taxes must be raised to plant more trees!

So yes, we are enjoying the Amercian way of stating our opinions... and yes... disagreeing on those "facts."

Consider this, the items you mentioned may have brought people to the metro... but FACTS show they are not moving to Augusta-Richmond County.

Wishing you an awesome day as well!

Old 05-06-2017, 08:12 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Quote:

How about you All in... does the Gordon Highway cooridor impress you? Does that make you think great things about Augusta?
How long have you lived in this area?

Old 05-06-2017, 08:31 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keatkeat_ View Post
So once again ignore that Augusta could not exist as it is if Columbia and Aiken counties disappeared. Okay.

The school system is not the only thing driving growth. Try: lower taxes, lower cost of living, lower crime, and a government that, though it has its faults, GETS THINGS DONE. Also, I would make the argument that both suburban counties are more inclusive in terms of housing. There is very little midrange housing near convenient sit-down restaurants/shopping in RC. You either have houses in the Summerville area and West Augusta that are too expensive for most of the average families in the metro or mid to lower range cookie cutter housing not conveniently located in the southern section of the county. Though I am aware an in-between exists it is by no means common or prevalent as it is in the suburban counties.

Answer this question where do you spend most of your time outside if your home? I will answer it for you Augusta. You probably work in Augusta n you do your shopping in Augusta n you go to restaurant in Augusta n if you like the night life or entertainment you do it in Augusta.

Another question for and others how many hotels in CC?
You probably can count them on one hand. So if Augusta crime is so bad why are private sectors still want to build hotels in Augusta.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:

No but what about that great areas of augusta. You're just nitpicking the bad. Does appling impress you ? Does driving pass the city part of grovetown impress you? Right down the street from the riverwood plantation does that impress you ? Stop acting like columbia county is this perfect county with no bad areas or imperfections.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:44 PM

194 posts, read 163,186 times
@InnerCitySoul: I honestly don't have the energy at the moment to quote your whole comment and go through point by point, but I will say I wasn't personally addressing you when I said it's been proven we disagree on this topic. I should've been more clear, I just meant people who hold your point of view versus people who have mine. This is a scenario that has played out many times before on this forum and the outcome never changes.

Also, you claim not to be coming from an Atlantan's point of view, yet you are. You currently live there. You can claim that Atl is on some sort of upswing when it comes to the balkanization, but I thoroughly disagree. Area after area is making its case for its own incorporation, but that's not even the biggest part. It is the INCESSANT arguments between ITP'ers and OTP'ers. Cobb county has been shunned by those who don't live there. And they don't help the issue by constantly holding on to "their conservative way of life". The fact that no major steps can be made to expand MARTA while also NO PROGRESS is made to expand the highway system tells me everything I need to know. No one can form a majority on anything. OH also, talk about bickering and brick throwing- try Suntrust Park. Fulton screwed around and lost it and no one wants to accept that Cobb swooped in and took advantage of their failure. So all of that is to say: I find it rich for an Atlantan to be lecturing those of other metros who aren't even close to having HALF of the brick throwing that their own metro has.

Additionally, all the metros you have lived in have COMPLETELY different dynamics when compared to Augusta. They are much, much larger. And their center has much more influence over the region (except Detroit at this point). Atlanta, DC, New Orleans, San Diego- at no point did any of the areas surrounding those downtowns/centers have the potential to become more populated and therefore more influential than their main city. This is in STARK contrast to Augusta. If current trends continue Columbia and Aiken County (separately, not combined) will be on par with ARC in terms of population by 2030. Tell me that equals a healthy center city. When one suburban area by itself surpasses the urban area's population it means they are doing something wrong. All healthy growing cities can claim to reign supreme in their own metros. Charlotte is top dog, Denver is top dog, Even in smaller very comparable metros like Savannah, GA- Savannah is top dog. BUT in the Augusta area it won't be long before Columbia County and/or Aiken county will be top dog. NOT in jobs, perhaps not in cultural centers, but in population and tax base! TAX BASE- extremely important. Augusta is BROKE. They NEED more residents, but they CAN'T get them because of all the issues already mentioned.

You've admitted to not driving around much of the metro, there in lies the problem. Outside of the VERY SMALL downtown Augusta offers it is buy and large a failure (and not in a derogatory sense). I mean that huge swaths of the city have been pushed to the side, forgotten about by their own leaders. It is disheartening. You have "no doubt" Columbia County is a nice bedroom community of Augusta- so have you never been to the county at all? If not, I think you are missing a big part of the story. It is astounding all of the activity and growth going on in the county versus ARC. Yes, there are great project currently going on in ARC and its on the right path, BUT it is IN SPITE OF the failed leadership of the city and their poor choices. And a reminder to everyone- Augusta leadership has NOTHING to do with the projects started by the US military and/or Augusta University. Thank God for University President Keel.

@amlovingit: Since you so KINDLY answered my question for me, how about I ask you a few. DO YOU THINK Augusta Exchange would exist without CC shoppers? DO YOU THINK the mall would still be what it is today without CC shoppers? DO YOU THINK that the families coming in for the Fort would be satisfied with the housing and the quality of life provided by ARC?

But to answer your question anyway: You're right, often times I spend my money in ARC, but there are many, many days where I never leave CC. And I go a month or more without venturing downtown because there is little reason to. And that's sad. I'm disappointed that I live within 25 mins of what COULD be a dynamic, growing, exciting downtown. But instead what I get is a place that feels unsafe after 10pm, a place that the nightlife equals a handful of bars, and the best use of it is a cool lunch every now and then.

I am NOT saying CC or AC could survive without RC- never claimed that. I AM SAYING that ARC could NOT HAVE BECOME WHAT IT IS TODAY WITHOUT THE SURROUNDING AREAS. The growth didn't move else where for NO REASON. It moved there because Augusta makes POOR CHOICES. And I will vote for leaders in my county that represent my values, but the residents of ARC have the ball in their court. If they don't want to elect competent leaders I can't help them.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:01 PM

194 posts, read 163,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All In for Augusta View Post
No but what about that great areas of augusta. You're just nitpicking the bad. Does appling impress you ? Does driving pass the city part of grovetown impress you? Right down the street from the riverwood plantation does that impress you ? Stop acting like columbia county is this perfect county with no bad areas or imperfections.
Big Big Big difference between the CITY OF GROVETOWN and the southern half of ARC. The difference being Columbia County has NO CONTROL over the CITY of grovetown because they are separate government entities. Meanwhile, ARC officials have pretended South Augusta is run by other individuals when in reality it is THEY who have the responsibility for the success, or lack there of, of South Augusta. That being said, it hasn't stopped literally tens of THOUSANDS of people from moving to the G-town area? So is your argument really valid?

And personally I would rather live right down the road from Riverwood than in any part of Augusta that's off of Gordon Highway...

Appling is a sad area I'll give you that, but isn't that based off of the fact that it's rural and nearly 45 minutes away from Downtown?

Overall though I would say, as I've said before, that it is not the right mindset to compare Augusta (or any other main city) to its suburbs to make it look better. Augusta should be several steps ahead of any of its suburbs- everyone wants to claim it's the center. If that's the case shouldn't its goal be to stand on its own? It should be easy to see Augusta is the place to be not because you tear down the surrounding areas, but because it just inherently is the place everyone wants to be. Yet the line has been blurred. Augusta has fallen behind. It is no longer clear that ARC is the place to be. And for many people it has become clear that it is NOT the place to be.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keatkeat_ View Post
Big Big Big difference between the CITY OF GROVETOWN and the southern half of ARC. The difference being Columbia County has NO CONTROL over the CITY of grovetown because they are separate government entities. Meanwhile, ARC officials have pretended South Augusta is run by other individuals when in reality it is THEY who have the responsibility for the success, or lack there of, of South Augusta. That being said, it hasn't stopped literally tens of THOUSANDS of people from moving to the G-town area? So is your argument really valid?

And personally I would rather live right down the road from Riverwood than in any part of Augusta that's off of Gordon Highway...

Appling is a sad area I'll give you that, but isn't that based off of the fact that it's rural and nearly 45 minutes away from Downtown?

Overall though I would say, as I've said before, that it is not the right mindset to compare Augusta (or any other main city) to its suburbs to make it look better. Augusta should be several steps ahead of any of its suburbs- everyone wants to claim it's the center. If that's the case shouldn't its goal be to stand on its own? It should be easy to see Augusta is the place to be not because you tear down the surrounding areas, but because it just inherently is the place everyone wants to be. Yet the line has been blurred. Augusta has fallen behind. It is no longer clear that ARC is the place to be. And for many people it has become clear that it is NOT the place to be.
If you want me to be completely honest with you really you must not know why the Gordon highway corridor is the way it is. Guess if you been there like you say you have. There has been one big!!!!!! Eye sore the regency mall. To be honest it's the reason why the corridor is the way it is. When it was open it was a wayyyy better corridor then right now. I highly doubt if columbia county had a dead mall right in the middle of one of its major corridors. And the owners want 52 million for it. In reality the mall cost 5 million. The government of cc would have let it sit to for all these years and wouldn't want to pay for it. Cause they don't have the money for it. At least now the officials in the marble building downtown are trying to get private investors to redevelop it. But why when there really loosing a lot of money because quadruple the money for that property to buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area