U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 11:01 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,297 posts, read 12,540,926 times

Advertisements

Im talking about the number of jobs added. The Cyber Command, Augusta Cyberworks, TaxSlayer, and Starbucks(expanding) are under construction. These are jobs being added in the future the workforce.

Nobody said Aiken County is not attracting jobs. It's nowhere on the level of Richmond County.

SRS is a bigger employer. However, Plant Vogtle is an over $14 billion project. The new jobs are being created at Plant Vogtle and not SRS. Whether it's construction, wielding, electrician, etc. SRS is not creating as many new jobs compared to Plant Vogtle. You got entire RV parks used for contractors from out of state working at Plant Vogtle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 11:43 AM

4,606 posts, read 6,564,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Im talking about the number of jobs added. The Cyber Command, Augusta Cyberworks, TaxSlayer, and Starbucks(expanding) are under construction. These are jobs being added in the future the workforce.

Nobody said Aiken County is not attracting jobs. It's nowhere on the level of Richmond County.

SRS is a bigger employer. However, Plant Vogtle is an over $14 billion project. The new jobs are being created at Plant Vogtle and not SRS. Whether it's construction, wielding, electrician, etc. SRS is not creating as many new jobs compared to Plant Vogtle. You got entire RV parks used for contractors from out of state working at Plant Vogtle.
So your belief is Augusta has created more jobs than South Carolina's big 3. And I'm asking you to post evidence. It's not true. It's puffery at best.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:10 PM

31,130 posts, read 28,878,723 times
Quote:

And yet it's very possible that the brakes will be put on Plant Vogtle expansion very soon: Plant Vogtle decision nears as calls to cancel grow | SavannahNow

If the expansion continues, Plant Vogtle will still have a lot less permanent employees than SRS. Removing the SC side of the Augusta metro would constitute a huge blow to the region.

At any rate, that headline is extremely sensational at best. I mean it's good that Augusta is posting some great numbers but come on...

Old 06-11-2018, 10:11 AM

692 posts, read 305,828 times
Quote:

I don’t know. Growth in Augusta seemed non existent when I visited about a month ago. It felt like driving through an eternally rundown slum. I was shocked that how, south of the “main road” (don’t remember the name of it, but had the “tall” buildings) there were so many empty grass lots. Whereas everywhere I go in say, Columbia or Lexington, something’s being done. Somethings being built or repaved or whatever. I’ll give you just a partial list of roads being repaved and widened. There’s I-26, the entire length through Cola, being resurfaced. I-20 being widened about 20 miles and then resurfaced about another 2 or 3, I-77 becoming 4 lanes from three for a couple miles. Lake Murray Boulevard, North Lake Drive, among others getting resurfaced. Then in the next two years, work starts on Malfunction Junction (look it up if you don’t know, but redoing the 26/20 interchange and widening 26 to four lanes from roughly mm97 to mm108 and completely redoing several major interchanges including the one for downtown and the mall. It’ll cost about 1.5 billion), as well as the SC 6 one way pair, which will turn S.C. 6 into two, two lane one ways through Lexington. And all that’s just a fraction of one city in S.C. Whereas I didn’t even notice parking meters in Augusta. But sure, that’s our biggest savior.

Just think for a moment about how much just road construction is going to pump into the economy. All of those paychecks people will get for paving and resurfacing, which they’ll spend locally. People who hate going places to spend money now doing so, because the roads aren’t bad.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:11 AM

If you really live in Columbia. Why do you keep reviving these older threads to post the exact same false statements.

I don't know where you drove through in Augusta, but you mentioned I-20.

How can you not see the brand new Sprouts shopping center off I-20? Columbia doesn't even have one.

How did you miss the 7-8 story Hyatt House downtown?

How can someone not see two 5 story buildings on the riverfront?

Old 06-11-2018, 11:26 AM

This is like the fourth old thread you've revived. Not sure what your trying to prove.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/augus...ta-doesnt.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/augus...lumbia-sc.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post51843368

Old 06-11-2018, 11:36 AM

33 posts, read 20,277 times
First it’s about 8-9 miles of I20 being widened, not 20.

Second, what does road resurfacing have to do with the growth of a region or city?

Old 06-11-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
If you really live in Columbia. Why do you keep reviving these older threads to post the exact same false statements.

How can you not see the brand new Sprouts shopping center off I-20? Columbia doesn't even have one.

Because I had an evil person I went to USC with who was from Disgusta so every chance I get I rub their nose in it because they were so proud of the place. And all I know is, I passed the medical college headed down a road that didn’t run north-south or east-west. Then I left using a half loop onto US1. Trust me, I’ll never visit such a mess again. A 7-8 story Hyatt? Columbia just got its second Aloft which is just as tall. One downtown and by the mall. And that’s not Columbia’s fault. The sprouts was gonna go in Irmo. But the mayor there ran them off. And old threads? So 6 months is old? Better warn my nephew he’s ancient. Face it, i rehash old threads like people from Disgusta rehash that it’s a good place. It’s honestly, most probable, one of the worst places in the southeast to live with almost stagnant growth. And because I’m not obsessed with whatever is going on in that miserable town, I comment on a lot of stuff later than when it was posted. But if you all would bother to check the Columbia forum once or twice a year, you’d see I post rigorously there. Have fun living halfway to nowhere.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESDreturns View Post
First it’s about 8-9 miles of I20 being widened, not 20.

Second, what does road resurfacing have to do with the growth of a region or city?
I mean, Berkeley County is putting in a whole exit on I-26 for Volvo, and good roads attract companies. Columbia is extending Shop Road for a tire company. So, a lot?

Old 06-11-2018, 02:27 PM

31,130 posts, read 28,878,723 times
Quote:

Columbia's Whole Foods didn't close though and it has Trader Joe's. *shrugs*

I'm still laughing at the ridiculous title of this thread. Just in terms of growth alone, Augusta would be 6th or 7th in SC behind Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Greenville, Columbia, the Charlotte suburbs, and maybe Hilton Head/Beaufort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area