Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 07:00 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,161,333 times

Advertisements

It's about time this issue was resolved. Considering all of the growth is heading west towards Grovetown and Harlem, Columbia County needs a hospital.
Quote:
After more than three years of appeals, a Georgia court has ruled in favor of AU Medical Center being able to build the first hospital in Columbia County, the state’s largest county without one.

According to a decision handed down Wednesday, the Superior Court of Fulton County ruled against Doctors Hospital of Augusta, which was challenging the county financing mechanism used to grant a state license to AUMC by the Georgia Department of Community Health. Because there are so many hospital beds in neighboring Richmond County, a facility in Columbia would not normally meet the standard for need so AUMC’s application used a rare exception that allows for the hospital to be built if it is the only one in the county and the country itself pays at least 20 percent of the cost, which Columbia County will do.

“The department’s county-financed exception is valid, the department’s decision is reasonable and consistent with prior decisions of the department,” Judge Henry M. Newkirk wrote.

AUMC was granted the Certificate of Need to build the 100-bed facility for around $150 million in November 2014 from among competing proposals from Doctors and University Hospital. Both appealed the decision and lost but Doctors has pursued nearly every appeal avenue since, including challenging the county-financing exception that was part of its own proposal.

“We are thrilled,” AUMC CEO Lee Ann Liska said Wednesday evening. “We are very excited to bring a hospital to Columbia County.”
AU Medical Center one step closer to building Columbia County hospital - News - The Augusta Chronicle - Augusta, GA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 09:13 PM

423 posts, read 447,365 times
To be honest I still think its a mistake to build it in Grovetown as its not that much further to go to get to Doctors in an emergency in that part of Columbia county.
Instead they should be looking more towards Riverwood or Evans so as to cut down on the time it takes for people and ambulances to get to the hospital for the whole county.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:22 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,517,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cst8670 View Post
To be honest I still think its a mistake to build it in Grovetown as its not that much further to go to get to Doctors in an emergency in that part of Columbia county.
Instead they should be looking more towards Riverwood or Evans so as to cut down on the time it takes for people and ambulances to get to the hospital for the whole county.
I would tend to agree with this assessment. The county is going to need a 4 lane divided pky similar to Riverwatch connecting Washington Rd around the riverwood area to I20 at the Grovetown exit.
That would help a lt with traffic flow and make it easier for ppl to get to he hospital.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:25 AM

Doesn't University Hospital already have a micro hospital in Evans? Also as far as a new 4 lane parkway connecting Evans and Grovetown, I believe that the widening of Lewiston and Hereford Farm Roads over the next decade would solve that problem.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:52 PM

423 posts, read 447,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
Doesn't University Hospital already have a micro hospital in Evans? Also as far as a new 4 lane parkway connecting Evans and Grovetown, I believe that the widening of Lewiston and Hereford Farm Roads over the next decade would solve that problem.
No, it's more along the line of offices for patient examinations with a prompt care service which is not anywhere as prepared to handle an emergency like a hospital emergency room is.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:47 AM

15 posts, read 15,430 times
Based on: https://www.google.com/amp/www.augus...emplate=ampart

The 90 days has passed so I would expect an announcement from AU about beginning construction soon. And I hope that once it is official that soon thereafter The Family Y will begin sharing their plans for a full scale facility (on property near the planned hospital location which they already own) rivaling or possibly exceeding their Wheeler Road location.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:57 PM

This needs to happen now but the county is way behind in upgrading road infrastructure in that area. I would like to see a frontage road connecting Horizon South to Belair. A hospital will need better access especially if it has a trauma center

Old 10-04-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
This needs to happen now but the county is way behind in upgrading road infrastructure in that area. I would like to see a frontage road connecting Horizon South to Belair. A hospital will need better access especially if it has a trauma center
It's funny that you mention having frontage roads along I-20. I believe that in Columbia County's Vision 2035 Plan, it calls for building frontage roads along I-20 between Lewiston Road (Horizon South) and Belair. I think adding this project in any future T-SPLOST would be wise. Also I would like to see a frontage system between Appling-Harlem Road and Belair Road.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:25 AM

Texas is a great example to see how frontage roads work well and manage traffic

Old 10-16-2018, 11:37 AM

74 posts, read 205,242 times
I doubt frontage roads will ever happen here, I’ve attached the latest plan for the Gateway Boulevard Extension.
Attached Thumbnails
AU Medical Center one step closer to building Columbia County hospital-30ad7aea-a49f-42fc-a858-bc5d5a492bb6.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area