Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 03:24 AM

148 posts, read 263,640 times

Advertisements

What is the name of the shuttered theater on the same side and same block as the Miller theater downtown on Broad St? Are there any plans to renovate it? That would be amazing to have three venues on the same block open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 12:27 PM

92 posts, read 162,184 times
There was never another theatre in the same block/ side of street as The Miller. You are probably thinking of The Modjeska. It’s still there, 800 block of Broad Street, north side of street next to SunTrust building. I have never actually been in the Modjeska but I believe it is smaller than the Imperial. Back in the day it primarily showed B grade movies.
While I have never been in the inside, the Moorish architecture on the front of the building and the arcade is very impressive
The exterior architecture beats the Miller and Imperial in my opinion
The building is owned by an individual
The lobby has been used as a night club in the recent past
I’d love to see this theatre restored and adaptively reused/ repurposed.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandevelopment View Post
There was never another theatre in the same block/ side of street as The Miller. You are probably thinking of The Modjeska. It’s still there, 800 block of Broad Street, north side of street next to SunTrust building. I have never actually been in the Modjeska but I believe it is smaller than the Imperial. Back in the day it primarily showed B grade movies.
While I have never been in the inside, the Moorish architecture on the front of the building and the arcade is very impressive
The exterior architecture beats the Miller and Imperial in my opinion
The building is owned by an individual
The lobby has been used as a night club in the recent past
I’d love to see this theatre restored and adaptively reused/ repurposed.
This is the building that I meant; I assumed it was another theater but perhaps not.
Attached Thumbnails
What is the theater name?-capto_capture-2019-02-02_06-09-30_pm.png  

Old 02-02-2019, 04:58 PM

92 posts, read 162,184 times
Well the building you referenced was last occupied by J.C. Penney and has been vacant since about 1987 when JCP moved to Augusta Mall. The building is owned by an uninterested property owner who has an unrealistic expectation of the buildings worth
For today’s history lesson: This building was originally built by Augusta’s department store prince JB White as part of a mixed use development that included the Albion Hotel. The building shown in your picture was JB Whites department store. There was another wing where the Richmond Summit building now stands that contained the Albion Hotel.
The Albion Hotel wing burned and was replaced by the Richmond Hotel now the Richmond Summit .The one block street adajacent to the Richmond Summit( currently blocked off) is Albion St in honor of the Hotel that was once there
JB White department store remained in their building until the mid 1920’s when they relocated to the 900 block of Broad. After J B White left Sears occupied the building for many years until they moved to Walton Way in the late 1950’s. Then it was JCP until the late 1980’s. I’d like be to see the building restored and reused. The low income Richmond Summit next door is also not the highest and best use for the building it occupies

Old 02-02-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandevelopment View Post
Well the building you referenced was last occupied by J.C. Penney and has been vacant since about 1987 when JCP moved to Augusta Mall. The building is owned by an uninterested property owner who has an unrealistic expectation of the buildings worth
For today’s history lesson: This building was originally built by Augusta’s department store prince JB White as part of a mixed use development that included the Albion Hotel. The building shown in your picture was JB Whites department store. There was another wing where the Richmond Summit building now stands that contained the Albion Hotel.
The Albion Hotel wing burned and was replaced by the Richmond Hotel now the Richmond Summit .The one block street adajacent to the Richmond Summit( currently blocked off) is Albion St in honor of the Hotel that was once there
JB White department store remained in their building until the mid 1920’s when they relocated to the 900 block of Broad. After J B White left Sears occupied the building for many years until they moved to Walton Way in the late 1950’s. Then it was JCP until the late 1980’s. I’d like be to see the building restored and reused. The low income Richmond Summit next door is also not the highest and best use for the building it occupies
What are possible ways it could be restored/reused? It certainly would never be another Sears/JCPennys'. Perhaps condos like the other JBWhite's building?

Old 02-05-2019, 10:04 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,412,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukInAugusta View Post
What are possible ways it could be restored/reused? It certainly would never be another Sears/JCPennys'. Perhaps condos like the other JBWhite's building?
To be honest, it won't be restored and reused until the Richmond Summit is done away with. That low income housing project is the boat anchor that hinders that block from redevelopment, IMO. That and the property owners who let their buildings go while asking twice or more what they're worth for them.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:31 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,593 times
GRU is 100 percent correct. Lots of great architecture and potential on that block but it will remain a dead zone as long as The Summit remains in it's current state. And it's not just that one block. The Summit is a demarcation line. No one really wants to venture near it so the lower blocks on that side of blocks also suffer. The upper blocks west of The summit are doing well. That place is literally a cancer on downtown. That's what the commission should be addressing instead of trying to put strip clubs out of businesses.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:28 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,412,162 times
Honestly don't think the strip clubs would even be that big of a deal if Richmond Summit were taken out of the picture. More people would venture down that direction and development potential would be much greater.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:43 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,593 times
I agree . I never make it to the lower blocks because I don't want to have to pass The Summit

Old 02-06-2019, 05:19 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,387,658 times
If the commissioner agree to keeping strip open you all would’ve had something negative to say one way or another. I’m glad they closing it down because it don’t belong on board street. Trust me we not loosing anything by Commissioners agree to not let the owner pass on the strip club, let not flatter ourselves acting like it’s Magic city getting shutdown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
View detailed profiles of: