Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:21 PM

543 posts, read 1,316,231 times

Advertisements

Augusta's medical college acknowledges interest in vacant golf Hall of Fame property | The Augusta Chronicle

Thats exactly what it is....and I for one like it.
Can anyone tell me one bad thing the medical community has done for Augusta? Not one thing! It time for Augusta to go for what she knows. I never got the whole Laney Walker problem either. Its what MCG want so let MCG have it. Seriously, they single handedly built downtown Augusta a second skyline ........in the middle of the ghetto. Who else could do that? Trust me on this one, if they plant a seed at the former hall of fame, IT WILL GROW! I like the new president, he is very progressive, aggressive, anti card holding country club good ol boy and doesnt play by the Augusta rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 07:31 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,092,320 times
I like the idea of having a biotech park in Augusta... But i think GHSU should foucs on the land around the Medical District... The inner city area IMO needs GHSU more than the Central Business District does... There's Sunset and several older shotgun homes in proximity of the Medical District waiting to be demolished.. GHSU could have the watermark property if they wanted to be along the river in the Central Business District.

GHSU will definitely get the portion of Laney Walker they want.. But the golf hall fame riverfront property is in high demand... The mayor along with Jim Jacoby and Cal Ripken Jr want to build a baseball stadium attached to condos, retail, restaurants, green space, hotels, offices, etc...

Old 01-07-2011, 07:53 PM

If the riverfront was in such high demand why has anything been built there of real value yet? You know like the Hyatt. Why does the medical community has to stay in one spot of downtown? We should spread the growth of the medical community. Retail, restaurant, greenspace, hotels, office could still be built. I think most of Augustan would want a bio research park that will encourage inovation and spur growth tens of year later.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:56 PM

Not one brick has been laid for this ballpark you love but its been it the working for almost 3 years. Whats the hold? If Augusta wants to be token seriously we have to quick all the pet projects or atleast not let them hold prime real estate hostage.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:00 PM

There's only three empty spots on the river.. The golf land, the parking spaces, and the watermark property...

There is a riverwalk, park, Jessie Norman ampitheatre, 18 story condo tower, Morris Museum of Art, two Marriotts and restaurants on the riverfront... Fort Discovery recently moved to DC, but it opened in 1997.... The Fort Discovery building should be sold in the very near future...

The Tee Center/Augusta Marriott Convention Center is going up on the riverfront as we speak...

If the economy didn't collapse, there would be two 10 story condos, two-three hilton hotels, and offices buildings on the riverfront(Watermark)...

Both Jim Jacoby and Cal Ripken Jr plan to build on the property once it goes to auction... They are trying to built something of real value on the riverfront...
Developer to bid if golf gardens land goes to auction | The Augusta Chronicle

Last edited by nortonguy; 01-07-2011 at 08:22 PM..

Old 01-07-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Mike View Post
Not one brick has been laid for this ballpark you love but its been it the working for almost 3 years. Whats the hold? If Augusta wants to be token seriously we have to quick all the pet projects or atleast not let them hold prime real estate hostage.
It was just a ballpark then I would support GHSU having the property. But since the development involves Jim Jacoby who doesn't build ballparks.. I'm supporting Jim Jacoby and Cal Ripken developing the land...

The land is not being held hostage all. The property still has to be auctioned off first. The state of GA owns the property and not the city of Augusta...

Old 01-07-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
There's only three empty spots on the river.. The golf land, the parking spaces, and the watermark property...
Why not build the base ball stadium closer to I-20? wouldnt that be smart since it going to be soo much more than a basball park.

Quote:
There is a 18 story condo, Morris Museum of Art, two Marriotts and restaurants on the riverfront... Fort Discovery recently moved to DC, but it opened in 1997....
Majority of Augustan dont benefit from most things, maybe thats why Fort Discovery is packing up and leaving. At least a bio research park right will actually benefit the community.

Quote:
The Tee Center/Augusta Marriott Convention Center is going up on the riverfront as we speak...
What exactly will be going on at the TEE Center? The construction is a good sign, keep the ball rolling.

Quote:
If the economy didn't collapse, there would be two 10 story condos, two-three hilton hotels, and offices buildings on the riverfront(Watermark)...
Maybe they will revisit Augusta one day but we cant llive in the past. We have a oppurtunity to become a hub and finally find our niche.

Quote:
Both Jim Jacoby and Cal Ripken Jr plan to build on the property once it goes to auction... They are trying to built something of real value on the riverfront...
If its of real value it will thrive anywhere how about near the Village at RiverWatch close to I-20?

Developer to bid if golf gardens land goes to auction | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 01-07-2011, 08:53 PM

The Village at Riverwatch will provide over 100 acres of amenities near I-20. It makes more sense to have the baseball stadium mix-use venue in the central business district...

Why can't MCG their campus near I-20? Better yet build it off I-520 somewhere in South Augusta....

Old 01-07-2011, 09:08 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,693,927 times
There's more than enough unused and underused land in and all around downtown to accommodate all these 'dream' projects. Also, if the Golf Hall of Fame property is in such high demand, then why have we only heard of 1 other interested party besides MCG? Plus, to even get Jacoby/Ripken to invest in the property, the city is going to have to 'sweeten the deal' in the form of a multi-million dollar stadium. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a new stadium go up on the river or anywhere else in downtown, but it's still a long shot with getting everybody on board with paying for it.

On a side note...what actually is going on with the property? When will it be auctioned off?

Old 01-07-2011, 09:14 PM

First you said MCG should keep its growth to surrounding areas, now you are saying South Augusta? What sense that makes?

Why cant the baseball park be off I-20 visible to the public and close enough to Columbia Co. to draw them to games. It will entice the developers of Village at Riverwatch to actually start to build.

The medical research park would provide professional jobs coupled with young professionals living downtown. New condos and apartments would be on the horizon for downtown. MCG could not only become a major catalyst for downtown reviatlization but also by encouraging this kind of expansion, it will ensure that Augusta is the flagship public medical school for Georgia. Not some over priced, taxpayers money driven pet project baseball park for a not so beloved team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area