Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2007, 10:20 AM

105 posts, read 552,311 times

Advertisements

I've been doing some research (and reading lots of posts) to try to figure out what area of suburbia-Atlanta I'd like to end up in...and I realized I needed some additional information that I was hoping someone could answer.

We're Bostonians-at-heart who have lived in Southern California for 5 years. We have two kids, so schools are important. We've primarily been looking in the East Cobb area because of the schools, but have been considering other surrounding areas with good schools as well.

We have family in North Augusta, SC, and I'm wondering if there's a big difference in the travel to this area depending on where we live? I know with certain cities, if you have to commute "through" the city to get somewhere, that will add on an extra hour+ to the commute.

I anticipate having to make thetrip to North Augusta, SC frequently, so if there is a big difference in the commute time, maybe that will help make the final decision for us.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 12:19 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
Unlike So. California from what I have heard, traffic patterns are fairly predictable here --with the exception of wrecks and the occassional person trying to jump off a bridge, we have rush hour and non-rush hour. That said, in my opinion, Fridays are always terrible -- always -- and it seems to be getting worse. Use to be you could leave before say 2 Pm and miss the rush, but now it is necessary to leave earlier and earlier.

So if you anticipate alot of needing to wait until school is getting out and then hitting the road immediately, then traffic matters a bit more.

That said, I am not sure you will find better schools than East Cobb that are more convienient. Alot of the I-20 corridore is not home to the best schools in the area.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:43 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,095,226 times
Quote:
I anticipate having to make thetrip to North Augusta, SC frequently
Weekends and off-peak travel hours, I hope. You'd be okay in East Cobb or Sandy Springs/Dunwoody if that is the case.

Lastminutemom is right about the I-20 corridor, though. How close-in to Atlanta do you need to be for work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
View detailed profiles of: