U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-24-2007, 12:57 PM

5 posts, read 40,771 times
Default What can anyone tell me about Augusta GA?

Hello,

My intentions are to move to Augusta in the near future. I am coming from Seattle with my 3 children, ages:17, 15 and 11. I have been divorce for a few years and since my last visit to Georgia 3 yrs ago I always wanted to come back.

I am originally from Memphis and I have lived in Seattle for 23 yrs. I do not like it here my husband at the time never wanted to move. Now that I am free it's time for a change.

So any information about Augusta would be appreciated. I've done some research. I plan on buying a home there but not sure about what County is the best between Richmond, Evans and Columbia.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-24-2007, 10:00 PM

38 posts, read 141,406 times
i just visited the area. i did not like richmond, columbia county evans is much nicer. i did not see downtown augusta. hope this helps. good luck,

Unread 01-25-2007, 06:39 AM

29 posts, read 170,508 times
I was thinking about moving to Augusta to go to school there a few years ago... until I went to visit... I'm not sure what you are looking for in a city, but to me Augusta was old looking and dirty.. the downtown was not impressive at all and the people all looked bitter..hahah... of course I was just there for a weekend, and that was about 4 years ago, so maybe they've cleaned up some.... I would definitely visit first..

Unread 01-25-2007, 07:01 AM

573 posts, read 1,764,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADLewis View Post
Hello,

My intentions are to move to Augusta in the near future. I am coming from Seattle with my 3 children, ages:17, 15 and 11. I have been divorce for a few years and since my last visit to Georgia 3 yrs ago I always wanted to come back.

I am originally from Memphis and I have lived in Seattle for 23 yrs. I do not like it here my husband at the time never wanted to move. Now that I am free it's time for a change.

So any information about Augusta would be appreciated. I've done some research. I plan on buying a home there but not sure about what County is the best between Richmond, Evans and Columbia.
You don't want to live downtown, but the outskirts can be quite nice. Stay away from south Augusta. North Augusta is a good option to keep in mind.

Evans isn't a county, but a town, so your choice would be between Richmond and Columbia Counties. Though Columbia County is the up and coming place at the moment, I wouldn't rule out neighboring areas of Richmond County.

We lived in Evans for seven years and it was a great place for kids, though not as busy as it is now, with new construction and traffic. We left in 1996 and my daughter is still there. She truly loves that area. I go down to visit her about once a month and we usually buzz around both counties for errands and fun. She's doing her student teaching at a Richmond county elementary school. Great school, wonderful staff.

Your best bet is to look around and see which area suits you and your children best. Either county has a lot to offer.

Good luck!

Unread 01-25-2007, 04:32 PM

726 posts, read 2,226,773 times
In Augusta, Starting from The Medical College of Georgia and University Hospital north along Walton Way by Augusta College The Hill area all the way to Martinez "MARTIN-ezzzz" is very nice

RICHMOND County Magnet schools
High Schools
Johnson Health Science & Engineering Magnet High
1324 Laney-Walker Boulevard Science & Engineering
Augusta, GA 30901 Program
(706) 823-6933
www.richmond.k12.ga.us/arjohnson (broken link)

Davidson Fine Arts
615 Twelfth Street Fine Arts
Augusta, GA 30901 Whole School
(706) 823-6924
www.davidsonfinearts.org

Elementary Schools
Walker Traditional Elementary
3015 Walton Way Traditional Magnet (Reading & Math)
Augusta, GA 30904 Whole School
(706) 737-7255
www.richmond.k12.ga.us/walker (broken link)

Unread 01-26-2007, 07:48 AM

155 posts, read 478,776 times
You should also consider Thomson GA.Its on the outskirts of augusta.Alot of people like to live in a county surrounding augusta and when they need to go to augusta it aint to far away.

Unread 01-26-2007, 02:30 PM

5 posts, read 40,771 times
Thank you all for the information. It was very helpful indeed.

ADLewis

Unread 02-08-2007, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 17,288 times
Default Augusta information

I wouldn't live in Augusta because of the schools. I have lived in Columbia County for over four years and I've been very pleased. Evans is in Columbia County and the scholls are great. Homes are a little more that those in Augusta but it is well worth it. Unfortunately, I'll be moving soon (military) but I've earned nearly $40, 000 in equity in a little over a year. If you want the confort of a small town with the convinience of the big city, I suggest looking into Grovetown, Ga. It is a booming little town with lots of new homes to choose from. It is mostly a military community. New home prices range from $180, 000 for 2000+sqft to 130, 000 for 1800 sqft. These are newly built homes. The drive to Augsta is less than 10 minutes. The area is great for outdoor recreation with Clarks Hill Lake nearby with 1200 miles of shoreline and white sand beaches. Atlanta is just over an hour away and it is conviently close to I-20. Myrtle Beach is also a short drive away. Excellent job opportunities for the medical field with a minimum of 5 large Hospitals located in Augusta. Great colleges and just over an hour away from the University of Georgia in Athens

Unread 04-15-2007, 02:49 PM

43 posts, read 136,191 times
Default Richmond County Only Has 2 Inner City Schools

Augusta Have Very Nice Parts Of Its City, West Augusta In Homes And Apartments On Washington Rd On The Columbia, Richmond County Border To Areas Along Walton Way, Wheeler Rd To New Homes Built Off Jimmie Dyess And Belair Rd 5 To 10 Min From Augusta Mall. South Augusta Has The Most Land So Will Grow The Most In Augusta New Houses Being Built Up Past Tobacco Rd And Along To Hephzpibah From 100-300k are Being Sold before the concrete falls All The Time In Nice Areas Like Diamond Lakes The Goshen Area Off 56 Is Nice To. Downtown Is Not Bad As Ppl Make It Out To Be Theres New Lofts At Enterprise Mill And Other Areas Of Downtown Google Augusta To Get City Links Plus The Current And New Judicial Buildings Are Downtown So Police Presents Wont Be A Issue. Richmond County Has Davidson, & Ar Johnson Two Of The Top High Schools In All Of Georgia. There Are Plans To Built Another Magnet School In Either South Or Central Augusta, And Make Some Present Schools Follow Suite. If I Was U I Would Pick South Augusta If U Wont Peace And Quiet, West Augusta If U Wont A Little Piece And Quiet And Still Big City Feel, Downtown Has Some Quiet Areas But Make Sure U Ask About Noise Bc Sometimes Alot Of Ppl Come Downtown Especially First Friday, July 4 , Festivals, Bike Races, Concerts At Riverwalk, Riverwalk, Masters Crowd, Etc So If U Like Alot Activities Should Be The Place For U. As A Whole I Would Pick Augusta Theres So Many Ppl Who Ran To Evans Now Traffic Is Becoming A Problem & They Have Plans To Even Try To Be A Surburb Like Sandy Springs Next To Atlanta ( Traffic For Hours) Evans Looks Nice But With All The Greedy And Corrupt Ppl It Will Become Not A Surburb But The 4th Or 5th Largest City In Ga. U Should Pick South Augusta Parts Of Hephzibah Or Goshen, areas of West Augusta, Grovetown, North Augusta, Aiken, Or Harlem. But Not Evans If Doesnt Have More Streets As Augusta But More Traffic Than Harelm, Grovetown, Appling, Combine. Hope U Fine Something Nice Welcome To The Garden City

Last edited by augga706; 04-15-2007 at 03:02 PM..

Unread 08-09-2007, 04:22 PM

4 posts, read 25,338 times
Much has been done in downtown Augusta during the past two years. The old White's department store is being refurbished into lofts and condos, there is a new luxury condo tower almost ready to start construction on the river front, lots of new restaurants, and the city is looking to build the new baseball stadium downtown.
People dismiss Augusta's schools, but the #1 and #3 high schools in the state are in Richmond County...Davidson Fine Arts School and Westside HS. Columbia County is nice, but is typical suburb with plenty of shopping centers and cars. North Augusta SC is doing fine and it looks nice.
Two new companies just located in Augusta, Automatic Data Processing with their software solutions, and T-Mobile. Both will be employing about 1,700 people total. The new National Security Agency HQ is under construction at Fort Gordon with another 1000 new jobs. Fort Gordon trains military in computers and information technology, so Augusta is not a typical army town.
Every city has problems, and every city has bright spots. I like Augusta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area