U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 06:36 PM

2 posts, read 57,075 times
Angry wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean2007 View Post
I have heard lots of stories about these gypsy camps, I wanted to know if it's true??
i happen to be a ''gypsy'' and im very insulted by all of this

Old 03-27-2007, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 57,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miranda sherlock View Post
i happen to be a ''gypsy'' and im very insulted by all of this
i will tell you what i can about us and its not much do you really want to know

Old 03-27-2007, 08:37 PM

539 posts, read 1,385,387 times
Default Dateline

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukedaddy View Post
The area you are speaking of is just outside of north augusta, sc and is commonly referred to as "Murphy's Village". The slang term people use to refer to them is "Gypsies" while the PC term would be "Irish Travelers". There are tons of rumors about them and their culture. Some of it true, some of it not so true. Dateline NBC did a story on them a few years ago about how they tend to be swindlers, schemers, and on how their little girls are dressed up beauty pageant style on an everyday basis. (think jon-benet)
I saw the same story, as well as some others on television. Nowadays it's hard to believe anything you read let alone what you see on T.V. but the story did seem reputable. There were several investigations as well as interviews. It appears that they can afford this lavish lifestyle, luxury homes, expensive cars, etc. due to their scams. They interviewed several people who had been scammed out of some serious money through home improvement scams. These "gypsies" are home based out of SC but travel all around the country performing fraudulent business practices.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:06 PM

39 posts, read 244,691 times
I live in North Augusta and have had the misfortune of having my phone number be one that a gypsy used to have and I can tell you straight up that the ones who had my phone number before me had scams all over the place. My phone rang constantly with people looking for them and I finally gave up and changed my number. It was one call after another all day long and when I would try to explain to them that I had just gotten that number they would accuse me of lying! It was insane. So to answer the question- YES, they are very much real. I am sure there are some nice ones out there, perhaps even honest ones, but the stories that Dateline have run are 100% factual.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:47 PM

738 posts, read 33,878 times
Hmmm, we always told our kids that if they didn't behave we would sell them at the gypsy baby camp just the other side of Augusta. I didn't think there really was one!

Old 06-07-2007, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 27,934 times
I am also a "Irish Traveler/Gypsy" and I can tell you we are very much real and I will tell you what you want to know if you ask.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:55 PM

111 posts, read 620,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northaugustariley View Post
I am also a "Irish Traveler/Gypsy" and I can tell you we are very much real and I will tell you what you want to know if you ask.
I admit my curiosity is piqued. I found this article....is most of the background and history part of the article accurate? Secret life ends for Irish Travelers: 10/28/02

Old 06-08-2007, 09:55 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,859,927 times
Alright, Miranda Sherlock and northaugustariley, I am quite currious so here are my questions for you.

1. Are you a Gypsy? If so, what is your ancestory and do you presently live in a Gypsy camp? Did you grow up in a Gypsy camp?

2. What do the majority of Gypsies in East Gerogia do to make money? Where do they work; what types of jobs do they tend to do?

3. Do you claim that people living in Gypsy camps do not run scams on unsuspecting people? If so, then can you explain why so many people believe that they do?

Old 06-09-2007, 12:56 PM

388 posts, read 975,821 times
I believe we talking about two seperate groups here;

"Gypsies" (Roma) come from the area now referred to as India and slowly moved from that area around 1,000 years ago. Distinct language, tend to marry within the group.

"Irish Travelers" are from Europe. Also tend to remain insolated within their group.

Both are complex social groups which I came to learn about as a law enforcement officer.

Rich

Old 06-11-2007, 10:50 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,859,927 times
Common Rich, tell us what you know! I know next to nothing about these folks, other than what I've heard and read. I just can't see how they always seem to swear that they don't engage in illegal activities, scams, rip-offs etc., but so many people say they've had personal experiences with them quite to the contrary.

What are these folks really into? Where do they live? Why do they stick together and form their own camps and communities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area