U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 11:14 AM

71 posts, read 468,676 times
Thumbs up Riley/Sherlock

Hello M/M Riley and Sherlock from Edgefield!

First, let me address all of you out there. Yes, there is a "gypsy camp" in Edgefield, SC, not far from No. Augusta, SC and Augusta, GA. These folks are actually Irish Travelers. They have some beautiful homes. I knew someone who did some work for them several years ago and he found them to be very loyal, tight folks. They also paid promptly in cash and were very cordial to him. He said he could leave his truck and tools and nothing was ever taken. There have always been rumors and always will be. You can hear anything. I am sure they have their upstanding citizens as well as their undesirables just like any other culture.

Now M/M Riley and Sherlock, would you tell us all something about your culture? I guess, personally, I am interested in the reason behind all the nicknames. Does anyone ever marry into (or out of) the group? And, if so, how is that accepted? And what is the real truth about the marrying of young girls to grown men? Oh and one last thing, do you (or do you ever) still cover the windows of certain houses and, if so, why?

Hope you don't mind the quesitons, but you offered and I think this is a good chance for us outsiders to be educated. Thanks.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:38 PM

404 posts, read 1,008,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Common Rich, tell us what you know! I know next to nothing about these folks, other than what I've heard and read. I just can't see how they always seem to swear that they don't engage in illegal activities, scams, rip-offs etc., but so many people say they've had personal experiences with them quite to the contrary.

What are these folks really into? Where do they live? Why do they stick together and form their own camps and communities?
My dilemma is, I don't think it appropriate to generalize about any one group. So the question as to "What are these folks really into?" can't be answered. There are subsets of people in both populations that cause law enforcement a problem. What percentage they are within each is beyond my limited understanding of the two cultures.

Rich

Old 06-12-2007, 07:37 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,950,483 times
Well, I suppose you could answer the question by explaining that some of them work in ____________ _________, and ___________ industries or jobs, while others have been known to engage in _______________ illegal activities.

I admit, I'm very currious about these people from people who actually know something. Otherwise, all I have to go on are the rumers that they are involved in running con-games via the internet and door-to-door on unsuspecting people. Personally, I think they are more organized than you give them credit. Unquestionably, my view is biased and leaning toward the fact that they are all engaged in one way or another illegal activities, whether directly, or indirectly with many having "legitimate" jobs as fronts.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:38 AM

10,813 posts, read 15,125,686 times
Default Ha!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by northaugustariley View Post
I am also a "Irish Traveler/Gypsy" and I can tell you we are very much real and I will tell you what you want to know if you ask.

No you won't because if found out by the rest of the Tinkers you will be ostrasized and you know it

Old 06-12-2007, 02:08 PM

WOW! I became currious about Irish Travelers, Gypsies, and Tinkers after reading this site.

Cons, Frauds and Other Lies (http://www.fraudtech.bizland.com/gypsy_introduction.htm - broken link)

Now, I've heard of Gypsies before, and in Florida we have had problems with them sneaking into people homes and stealing their stuff. I know of two people that this happened to, and they described in detail exactly what the guy on this website described.

After reading this, I think the people who live in and around Murphy Village need to gather themselves up and march into that town and let those people know that they are being watched. This kind of stuff sickens me. The fact that there's an entire village of con men and women needs to be addressed.

I call it the way I see it and challenge any Irish Traveler from Murphy Village to say differently.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:46 PM

PS: I've done some follow up research. Seems that Irish Travlers stole over $1,000,000 from Home Depot in a Bar-scanner switching scam. Many Irish Travler women have been caught shoplifiting. This is BIG TIME Maifia. I'm intrigued by the way these people set up a village in rural South Carolina, keep out all outsiders, have their own language that only they can understand, and runs scams stealing millions of dollars from others.

What do they do with all of that money? Where does it go? It seems like something much larger is going on, and the Home Depot scam is just the tip of the iceburg.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:38 PM

1,089 posts, read 4,434,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
PS: I've done some follow up research. Seems that Irish Travlers stole over $1,000,000 from Home Depot in a Bar-scanner switching scam. Many Irish Travler women have been caught shoplifiting. This is BIG TIME Maifia. I'm intrigued by the way these people set up a village in rural South Carolina, keep out all outsiders, have their own language that only they can understand, and runs scams stealing millions of dollars from others.

What do they do with all of that money? Where does it go? It seems like something much larger is going on, and the Home Depot scam is just the tip of the iceburg.
Prichard, can you please post the source(s) of this info?

Old 06-13-2007, 07:45 AM

Here are the sources that I got the information from:

Interest Stories - Scam Artists: Trailers Are for Travelers
Cons, Frauds and Other Lies (http://www.fraudtech.bizland.com/travelers.htm - broken link)
Inside the world of Irish Travelers

Xman, just so you know, I have no grudge against these people, or at least not before reading the information on the above websites. In fact, I had never heard of them before. But, this stuff is really eye-opening.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 38,744 times
Cool Why do they cover windows?

Why do they always have all their windows shut or paper over them? Drove through there yesterday, gave me the heeby jeebies. What are they hiding?

Old 06-15-2007, 12:12 PM

71 posts, read 468,676 times
Default Windows

I was really hoping that we would hear from Riley or Sherlock to enlighten us on that very thing.

What I have been told is that when a couple is contracted to marry (often at a very young age) the family (girl's family maybe???) builds them a house. The windows are covered until they come of an age to marry and settle in.

Would love to hear someone else's interpretation or the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area