Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:31 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,838,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2z View Post
I went to Augusta on the 5th! We like the Evans area lil musket you were so right Evans reminded us of Woodstock big time!. We felt right at home. Does anyone know anything about Evans Middle School?

We decided it would be easier to just rent an apartment. As of right now our plans are to come back to Woodstock. But you never know!!

Are there any nice safe apartments in the Lakeside or Greenbrier school districts. Finding a great school for my daughter is our #1 priority. We will base where we live on what school is best for her.

Thanks for all of your help!
I cannot recommend one off hand, but I know there are some upscale apartment complexes in the evans area. I'd suggest picking up one of the apartment guide books or going to one of the online sites that reviews apartments.... they usually will tell what schools they are zoned for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I went to Augusta on the 5th! We like the Evans area lil musket you were so right Evans reminded us of Woodstock big time!. We felt right at home. Does anyone know anything about Evans Middle School?

We decided it would be easier to just rent an apartment. As of right now our plans are to come back to Woodstock. But you never know!!

Are there any nice safe apartments in the Lakeside or Greenbrier school districts. Finding a great school for my daughter is our #1 priority. We will base where we live on what school is best for her.

Thanks for all of your help!
check out Walden Glen and Westwood Club apts .
you may also want to consider renting a townhome

Old 01-12-2009, 06:16 PM

8 posts, read 17,611 times
We checked out Walden Glen and Westwood club apt. They were both very nice. The only thing with Westwood club is they are income based. You can not make less than $21,000 or more than $32,000. They base it on the income before you move in. As of now we make way too much to live there. Which is crazy bc when we move to Augusta we won't have jobs for the time being!!! lol

We wanted to check out Ansley at Town Center but its still under construciton so we did not bother looking. I am sure those will be really nice.

thanks!

Old 01-12-2009, 07:15 PM

215 posts, read 598,139 times
Walden Glen is a nice one but Villages at Greenbrier is in Evans too. You may have to look into the Martinez area. Petersburg place, Lakeside townhomes, Petersburg square, Blueridge commons, and Wedgewood park

Old 01-13-2009, 07:47 PM

8 posts, read 17,611 times
thanks so much for all of you guy's help! city-data has really helped me out. When i went to Augusta i felt like i knew so much!

Why are Greenbrier and Lakeside schools better? Does anyone know anything about Evans Middle School?

Old 01-14-2009, 07:04 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,953,830 times
Quote:
Why are Greenbrier and Lakeside schools better?
I'm glad you asked. The following answer is a copy of a post I made on the Atlanta thread, and the direct answer to your question is bolded but the overall message answers it in more depth:

The whole "move where the best schools are" thing is a farce. There are highly underperforming schools, which are usually violent, and there are schools which perform well on the standardized tests. Picking the top scoring schools over the next top scoring schools is an effort in futility and I'll tell you why.

The term "best schools" means highest scoring on standardized tests. The biggest influence on those scores is parental involvement- parents making their kids do their homework and helping kids when the kids need help. The highest scoring schools have the greatest % of actively involved parents. These are usually situations where most of the parents are themselves educated. That means that if a school A has 90% of students with actively involved parents and a school B has 80% of students with actively involved parents, school A will typically score higher on the standardized tests. School B will score well, but won't be considered "the best schools." Nonetheless a student WITH actively involved parents can do just as well at school B as at school A. The decision to go to school A just because it's the highest actually gets the kid NO BENEFIT over school B since the parents being involved will help that child do just as well on standardized tests and on the SAT. Now remember I'm comparing top scoring schools to good scoring schools that are not the top. Underperforming schools, which are typically violent, have a negative influence on a child's performance due to the violence and also to the excessive number of students who have low expectations because of LACK of parental involvement. But as far as the "best schools" versus the good scoring schools which are not at the top, there is no benefit for a child to go to the top scoring school.

Secondly, studies have shown that those standardized tests are not accurate predictors of collegiate success. In other words, many times students who have done well on the standardized tests have struggled once they got to college. And for most actively involved parents, the goal is 1)get the kid into a good college, 2)prepare the kid for collegiate success. Guess what that means? Chasing standardized test scores is not an accurate way to guarantee your child is prepared for collegiate success. So the whole basis of "best schools" is based on something that is NOT a predictor of college success. So why chase it? Why not chase what IS a good predictor of collegiate success? And that is active parental involvement and them setting high standards.

So how SHOULD people pick a neighborhood to live in? Find out what the "best schools" are but also what the "good schools" are. Stay away from the underperformers. Then, of that list, add in other factors that are important, and for different people these will be different. It might be best area for recreation, or closest area to downtown, or area with the most historical architecture, or area with the newer planned community homes, etc. Of course real estate agents LOVE the "best schools" talk because usually those neighborhoods carry the highest price tag and thus they get the highest commission. Often you can get the same house for less money in a "good schools" district versus in a "best schools" district. In other words, you can save money and STILL get the same result for your child.

Save the "best schools" rhetoric for when it really DOES matter- college. Harvard or UPenn business is "best schools." And the name of the school on the degree matters to employers. The name of the high school to college admissions, not so much so. Therefore the "best schools" thing is a farce.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by targety View Post
If you are living in Columbia County make sure your home is zoned for Greenbrier or Lakeside.
Not really necessary for the reasons I posted in the answer above. That approach is really a waste of time and money considering the housing costs involved/what you can get for your money.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know anything about Evans Middle School?
It is a good school, as are any in Columbia County and in North Augusta. There is nothing wrong with any of those. Your child can get a very good education at any of those. Evans Middle School is right down the road from the new Blanchard Woods Park, so you would at least be close to that recreational amenity. But in that area try to avoid driving with the rush hour traffic if you can, because Evans has the worst/thickest rush hour traffic in the metro area coming to/from I20/Augusta. You'll also have to drive across Evans to get to the Augusta Canal greenway at the Savannah Rapids Pavillion and will have to drive even further to get to the North Augusta greenway, if greenway recreation is something you get into or would get into.

Last edited by MantaRay; 01-14-2009 at 07:24 AM..

Old 01-14-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
thanks so much for all of you guy's help! city-data has really helped me out. When i went to Augusta i felt like i knew so much!

Why are Greenbrier and Lakeside schools better? Does anyone know anything about Evans Middle School?
Evans Middle is just fine..it is a good school. You don't have to limit yourself to just Greenbrier and Lakeside..
Consider renting a townhome too...you will get more house for your money (most have garages).. and the price is about the same as renting an apartment. Chyeck your PM.. I sent you a link for one in the JOnes Creek area.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:13 PM

15 posts, read 15,628 times
Quote:

I used to live in Evans and my children attended Evans high. Before I moved to Martinez in west richmond county and put them into Westside. I wouldn't recommend Harlem or Evans high in columbia county. Harlem had a gang fight between the bloods and crips. Involving over 30 students just a while back. When my chldren went to Evans most of the kids were drug users or selling them. Columbia county is segregated by class for the most part. The more middle and upper middle class stay in Evans and Martinez. The poorer ppl stay in Grovetown and Harlem. Even though Grovetown is trying hard and will overcome the trailer park image. In the next few year's with the new middle class housing going up in the city.

Evans has kinda went downhill in the last 7 year's. Evans used to be comparable to Lakeside then they built Greenbrier. The rich kids in columbia county go to Greenbrier and Lakeside. Evans has more of the rednecks and lower middle class in the Evans area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area