Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 03:30 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times

Advertisements

One thing Downtown Augusta has over Downtown Atlanta is that it's along a river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 09:58 PM

33 posts, read 31,287 times
I suggest you read the other threads of what is coming to downtown and the exciting things that are happening. 3 new restaurants just opened downtown and one is an awesome Growler bar with 53 beers on tap. Unisys coming into the old Fort Discovery will completely transform downtown. There are several great bars to go to, and this is the only city I have ever been to where there are pet friendly bars. The Metro and Stillwater let you bring your pets in as long as it isn't a Friday or Saturday night. The area suffered less from the economy collapse and more from a lack of great leadership. Now, that the older money of Augusta is dying off we have a chance to make it into a great city.

On the other hand, if you are that miserable, then I suggest you move. Either that or you get involved and try to help make things better instead of just bitching about it.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:22 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmfpc View Post
I just relocated to this town. It is the biggest desapointment of my life. This is not a city ( I am sorry but it's true) it needs to be redesigned. People in charge should travel at least a little to have an idea what a downtown should look like and try to implement things here. Your downtown is inexistent. There is no people, no stores, NOTHING. outside downtown it seems like people is opening stores wherever they want to. There is no thinking about how to design de city. Big signs everywhere (so tasteless). The entire city looks like a giant truck rest area. If there are groups interested in improving this town, I would like to join. Please let me know. I have many ideas.
The comments sound very similar to a familiar poster, but downtown Augusta is much better than your overall description..

Unisys $20 million and 700 jobs
Neighbors welcome new Unisys workers

CDK Global put 85 employees downtown.
ADP spinoff CDK Global locating in Wells Fargo Building | The Augusta Chronicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It really is a massive disappointment. I traveled to Augusta about 7 or 8 months back because I was bored and decided to just go for it....I swear the downtown is like one street and that's it and it was super dead...honestly didn't feel any bigger than Downtown Marietta or Downtown Decatur. Hell, those downtowns are better than Augusta's LOL. Both are getting tons of new residents and apartment units.
What's your point?
Historic warehouse to be converted into downtown apartments | The Augusta Chronicle
Local developer purchases old Woolworth building | The Augusta Chronicle
Plans proceed to add apartments on Broad Street | The Augusta Chronicle

Canalside opened a few months ago between the CBD and Medical District...
$11 million CanalSide approved.. Set to break ground!!

700 dorms are under construction in the Medical District
Georgia Regents to play host to groundbreaking ceremony for new student dorm Friday | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 07-17-2015, 09:20 AM

808 posts, read 1,015,455 times
Is Augusta going to Re-Design Broad Street with new streetscape? Especially with all the new growth along the street

Old 07-17-2015, 11:49 AM

568 posts, read 698,674 times
Hmmmmmmmmmm...

"Now, that the older money of Augusta is dying off we have a chance to make it into a great city."

This comment sounds very similar to a familiar poster......

Old 08-01-2015, 06:28 PM

57 posts, read 76,494 times
I agree downtown has a lot of potential but needs lots of work. The main drag, Broad Street is run down with cracked and potholed sidewalks. Downtown just needs a huge makeover. Its really lacking compared to other nearby mid sized cities like Greenville, Charleston, Asheville, Greensboro, Roanoke, Chatanooga, Savannah, and even Columbia.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:48 PM

121 posts, read 109,642 times
I believe once more people come downtown to live like Norton guy said that will spur more economic development in turn making downtown better but it has lots of potential and i have already seen progress

Old 08-01-2015, 07:02 PM

124 posts, read 206,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All In for Augusta View Post
I believe once more people come downtown to live like Norton guy said that will spur more economic development in turn making downtown better but it has lots of potential and i have already seen progress
If augusta has a local university college why don't augusta consider locating the college university too downtown that would spur development and revitalize the downtown area and make it more vibrant and active. There are alot of georgia cities locating there colleges too downtown. Columbus is an prime example and it's be good and has helped out alot and has spur growth for the downtown area. Augusta needs to do the same thing and bring a university college downtown and then things would take off from there. Columbus is more active than ever downtown I remember way back in the day before columbus state university ever exsisted downtown columbus was dead and boring and not active and was a place that you did not want too be. Now today it's a different story and has changed alot since the university came downtown and now it's active and you see alot of young college students around downtown and there's more storefront's and then you have the whitewater on the hooch. Downtown columbus is very active today but back then was a different story.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:26 PM

121 posts, read 109,642 times
Our university is sorta located downtown its in the medical district which is right next to downtown there doing all current and future expansions there

Old 08-01-2015, 07:30 PM

515 posts, read 632,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All In for Augusta View Post
Our university is sorta located downtown its in the medical district which is right next to downtown there doing all current and future expansions there
True, the university is basically downtown already, just not in the Central Business District, which is the area they are talking about, but the CBD is still moving in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area