Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:53 AM

215 posts, read 480,922 times

Advertisements

Another question would be whether you are making the decision based on the school district. If not, your best bet would most likely be somewhere in West Augusta close to the Augusta Exchange, Augusta Mall, and downtown Augusta.

Good luck in your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 12:21 PM

970 posts, read 2,949,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylara70 View Post
I can't wait for the new highway going to TN through the mountains of North Georgia. I may never go to ATL again.
Me too, but some NIMBY's in them thar mountains may prevent the road from being built.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:33 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,854,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Me too, but some NIMBY's in them thar mountains may prevent the road from being built.
And I say more power to them...
#1 this route would not provide a significantly shorter alternative to I75 or I26... but the cost of building an interstate over mountainous terrain is prohibitively expensive, not to mention, we are talking DECADES before such a highway would ever be completed... ie see Corridor H in West Virginia.
A more salient proposal is to build a limited access freeway from Savannah, north thru Augusta, then north towards Clinton, SC... hooking up with I26...then use existing infrastructure (I26 and I40) for the rest of the route.... the infrastrcuture thru the mountains is already there.. so there is no need to reinvent the wheel.... plus this would give Augusta a north south interstate in a much quicker time frame then the duplicitous mountoun route thru north GA and NC. Also, both congressmen representing teh Augusta area favor the route I mentioned.. that hooks up with I26 just South of Greenville.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:47 PM

267 posts, read 725,508 times
I-3 & I-14 both would benefit georgia. Augusta, Macon, Columbus, and Savannah would grow faster.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:02 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,854,936 times
I would say if I had to pick one over the other, it would be the north south interstate.. that would give Augusta a direct link to the port of Savannah and would connect the city to the very busy I95 and I85 corridors and provide a quicker link to Florida. The route that connects to I26 and I85 just south of Greenville could be built within a relatively short period of time vs the mountain route.. parts of the Savannah river pkwy could be retrofitted with interchanges to turn it into an interstate. Congressmen Broun and Barrow both support this proposal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area