Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 09:00 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,100,025 times

Advertisements

I don't mind Paine have a arena that large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 05:29 AM

1,138 posts, read 2,694,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I don't mind Paine have a arena that large.
You may not mind, but I'm sure the JBA and Convocation Ctr. will, since it will be hurting them...

Old 02-13-2010, 11:09 AM

543 posts, read 1,316,838 times
Who care what they think. It's called competition. Who wouldnt want to be the big dog on campus with few competitors?

Old 02-13-2010, 11:30 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,100,025 times
I don't see Paine trying to get big acts. The center will be used for community programs/events mostly.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I don't see Paine trying to get big acts. The center will be used for community programs/events mostly.
That's what they want you to think...there is such a thing as having to many venues, just like it's possible for a city to have too many malls (ie. Columbia)...Augusta just doesn't have the population to support 3 decent sized venues. The acts would spread between all 3, meaning that it would be hard for any of the venues to remain profitable (especially the JBA, the HEAL center and the Convocation Center have colleges to support them, but the JBA is solely supported by entertainment acts). Spreading the acts around doesn't mean greater selection for the public, it only means less revenue for each venue, and could result in an eventual demise of all 3, it's basic economic thinking. Now, if all 3 DID exist, then the JBA would have to do something to set itself apart from the rest, it would have to expand it's seating capacity so that the area has 1 large venue and 2 medium venues, instead of jues 3 medium venues. Do you guys get what I'm saying? ...And I'm not saying this will happen, it's just something I see as very possible because I don't think Paine is being truthful when they say they won't try to book shows.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:30 PM

164 posts, read 391,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Mike View Post
Who care what they think. It's called competition. Who wouldnt want to be the big dog on campus with few competitors?
Good post

Old 02-13-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
The problem with your thinking is that Augusta CANNOT support multiple venues of this size (we are ONLY a metro of 500K, we're not some huge metropolis capably of supporting all these venues), the JBA has just started becoming profitable again, and now you all want to build something that's only going to take away from it's business, that doesn't make sense.. Drowning the market with medium size arenas will only result in none of them being profitable, like I said previously, if the HEAL center is built, the JBA needs to expand it's own seating capacity to set it apart from other venues. Plus this HEAL center would be partially paid for with city tax dollars, so I guess you all are fine with paying a private party for something that could very likely hurt the other publicly funded venue, then go right ahead...you all are too quick to jump on the bandwagon just because it's new construction, but remember, not all growth is good growth, just look at what happened when the wonderful malls came to town, downtown has never recovered. You all seem to not want to realize how this stuff works, for example, the Guitar Pull used to be held at the Bell Auditorium, then the Convocation Center was built, and it has been held there ever since, when the HEAL center is built, who's to say that other acts that may have originally chosen the JBA wouldn't chose the HEAL center instead, after all, it would be newer. Again, I'm not saying that this will happen, it's very likely it won't if Paine's officials are being truthful in there priorities for the HEAL center, but you people's way of thinking is very clouded if you think the introduction of a similarly sized arena wouldn't harm the JBA.

Last edited by EastsideDave; 02-13-2010 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: because I can...

Old 02-13-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Hot_Mike, you ask why the JBA wouldn't want a few competitors, do you even understand basic economics? You're saying that if you owned a business, you'd be perfectly happy splitting your customer base with new competitors than keeping all the business for yourself? Wow, you're a really generous person!

And yes, this was SUCH a good post, wanting to construct something that would potentially draw business away from a taxpayer funded institution is SO insightful, with this kind of thinking, it's no wonder Augusta was in the crapper for so long, but with our recent halfway intelligent leadership, at least now we're sitting on the lid instead of down in the toilet bowl, now all we need to do is get out of this smelly bathroom. (Was that a creative enough analogy?)

I already apologize for my rudeness, but I am sometimes appalled by how much you all fail to see the big picture of how things actually work in the real world.

Last edited by EastsideDave; 02-13-2010 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: added some junk to this P.O.S. post

Old 02-13-2010, 08:37 PM

Sigh, that's all I'm going to say about this subject, and I apologize for my bluntness. I'm not even saying that this is going to happen, I'm just giving a 'what if' example. The fact of the matter is this, competition is bad, and this city is not large enough to support what many in this forum has on their 'wish list'. Now you all know how I feel, and this concludes my tirade for the week, I bid you all adieu.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:09 PM

543 posts, read 1,316,838 times
Who wouldnt want to be the big dog on campus with few competitor?
This statement means JBA is perfectly fine Augusta's stagnent ways, as long all show coming to town are coming to them. Sorry ESD, whats best for JBA is not best for the AUG. Tell me this, why do some cities have more shows, but have less population than Augusta?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area