Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 09:41 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,055,572 times

Advertisements

Since some people from Columbus, Macon, and Savannah love to bring up Aiken County... Augusta is STILL bigger than those cities w/o the South Cak metro portion(Aiken & Edgefield)..

2010 MSA
Augusta 369,793
Savannah 347,611
Columbus 241,918
Macon 232,293

Even if you added metro Savannah (347k) + the CSA(77K)+ Beauford County(162k).. Savannah would only have 30k more people compared to Augusta.. Anyway you slice and dice it, the Augusta area is larger compared to other 2nd tier cities.. Augusta is the only metro besides Atlanta, with one county over 200k and two counties over 100k..

2009 Urban Area
Augusta 340,146
Columbus 246,572
Savannah 203,256
Macon 129,827

Augusta 340,146
Columbus 246,572 + Auburn Opelika 66,688= 313,360
Macon 129,827 + Warner Robins 103,039= 232,866
Savannah(Hinesville/Ft Stewart doesn't have a UA)

Last edited by nortonguy; 09-09-2011 at 10:23 AM..

Old 09-09-2011, 10:14 AM

1,138 posts, read 2,688,453 times
It's better to have 1 extremely strong mall at full capacity than multiple weaker malls with vacancies IMO. Look at Columbia for that, they may have several malls, but really Columbiana is the only one doing well, the others are struggling.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:49 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,613,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Since some people from Columbus, Macon, and Savannah love to bring up Aiken County... Augusta is STILL bigger than those cities w/o the South Cak metro portion(Aiken & Edgefield)..

2010 MSA
Augusta 369,793
Savannah 347,611
Columbus 241,918
Macon 232,293

Even if you added metro Savannah (347k) + the CSA(77K)+ Beauford County(162k).. Savannah would only have 30k more people compared to Augusta.. Anyway you slice and dice it, the Augusta area is larger compared to other 2nd tier cities.. Augusta is the only metro besides Atlanta, with one county over 200k and two counties over 100k..

2009 Urban Area
Augusta 340,146
Columbus 246,572
Savannah 203,256
Macon 129,827

Augusta 340,146
Columbus 246,572 + Auburn Opelika 66,688= 313,360
Macon 129,827 + Warner Robins 103,039= 232,866
Savannah(Hinesville/Ft Stewart doesn't have a UA)
MSA for Columbus is 241,000? Is that a joke???/

Old 09-09-2011, 12:02 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,055,572 times
My bad.. The MSA of Columbus is 294,865...

Old 09-09-2011, 01:17 PM

120 posts, read 227,115 times
I would just like to add a little to the debate about who is bigger. I have visited each of these cities Columbus, Savannah, Macon often weeks at a time and I live in Augusta, from the perception of urban feel Savannah definitely wins this especially in the downtown area its just more expansive than the others. City and Metro wide it feels no bigger than any of the others. Looking at skyline Augusta seems larger just slightly larger than Macon if your view includes the Medical area. Macon seems larger from the interstate but only because I-75 cuts through the heart of the city and they have multiple exits because of this. Columbus seems larger from a Corporate point because of the number of headquarters located there.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:18 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,688,453 times
All have positives, all have negatives, pick the one that's best for you and quit arguing.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:30 PM

37,838 posts, read 41,717,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
My opinion of Augusta has always been that it is far from the armpit that everybody says it, but hardly the booming metropolis and "fastest rising city in the South" that people like NortonGuy pretend it is. I also find it really funny that based on the criteria Augustans like to tout ad nauseum, Savannah outranks it on almost every measure:

-- ONE OF THE MOST VIBRANT DOWNTOWN'S in the country, with a healthy mix of retail and restaurants, attractions, upscale residential, professional, and institutional.
-- 2nd BUSIEST COMMERCIAL AIRPORT IN GEORGIA with 6 airlines and 50-plus daily departures to 14 nonstop destinations, 2 million annual passengers
-- TWO REGIONAL MALLS
-- LARGER RETAIL TRADE ZONE
-- LARGER MEDIA MARKET
-- HOME TO GEORGIA PORTS, 2ND-BIGGEST ECONOMiC ENGINE IN GEORGIA AFTER H-J-ATL AIRPORT
-- A TOURISM MARKET THAT DREW 11 MILLION VISITORS IN 2010 AND RANKS AMONG THE 10 MOST POPULAR DESTINATIONS IN THE COUNTRY
-- FUTURE HOME OF A PASSENGER CRUISE SHIP TERMINAL (and home port of possibly two cruise lines, Royal Carribean and Carnival)
-- A MAJOR TRADE AND CONVENTION CENTER IN PLACE FOR 10 YEARS
-- 12,000-SEAT SPORTS ARENA ALREADY FUNDED AND IN THE PLANNING STAGES
-- A REGIONAL POPULATION THAT'S LARGER THAN AUGUSTA'S when the entire RTZ and media market that includes Beaufort County, SC is included (and just FYI: Hilton Head Island is 20 miles from Savannah ... the same distance Aiken is from Augusta! Yes, it DOES factor into the greater area and the two are considered ONE MARKET locally, whether the Census bureau officially recognizes it as such or not).

I'm not throwing this out there to take anything away from Augusta -- it is Georgia's 2nd-largest metro after Atlanta, and the presence of MCG does have a big impact on the city. But claiming that Augusta is somehow on some enormously higher level than Savannah or Columbus or even Macon-Warner Robins is just silly. It is what it is!
Was all of this even necessary? How does it relate to the conversation at hand--not what somebody said in another thread, not what somebody's tag line is, but the conversation at hand?

Old 09-09-2011, 10:28 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,856,950 times
MY POINT IS SIMPLY THIS: That many of the things that Augustans wish they had to make them more respectable, other cities in this state -- especially Savannah -- already have. Build on your strengths. stopping wishing for the impossible. You people in Augusta are absolutely the most self-hating on this site. "Waa waa waa .... why don't people like us? Why can't we be more like XXXX."

If there's one thing Savannah does NOT have, it's a lack of identity, sense of place and CIVIC PRIDE! People actually LOVE this city and LOVE living here -- warts and all. I don't get that impression from ANYBODY in Augusta. It's all negative "what ifs" or pipe dreams with you people.

AND LMAO: Augusta is going to be the next Charlotte?! OMIG! Northguy keep on smoking whatever it is you're smoking ... or taking bribes from the A-RC chamber of commerce to spread this crap!

Old 09-10-2011, 03:54 AM

7,579 posts, read 10,735,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
MY POINT IS SIMPLY THIS: That many of the things that Augustans wish they had to make them more respectable, other cities in this state -- especially Savannah -- already have. Build on your strengths. stopping wishing for the impossible. You people in Augusta are absolutely the most self-hating on this site. "Waa waa waa .... why don't people like us? Why can't we be more like XXXX."

If there's one thing Savannah does NOT have, it's a lack of identity, sense of place and CIVIC PRIDE! People actually LOVE this city and LOVE living here -- warts and all. I don't get that impression from ANYBODY in Augusta. It's all negative "what ifs" or pipe dreams with you people.

AND LMAO: Augusta is going to be the next Charlotte?! OMIG! Northguy keep on smoking whatever it is you're smoking ... or taking bribes from the A-RC chamber of commerce to spread this crap!
Cut them some slack Newsboy.

We went through several decades in this country where people moved off to their suburban paradises. In many ways people bought the most they could on whatever money they had. We stopped focusing investments on our cities. This is just now starting to turn around and it is very much a regional and nationwide trend. This wasn't exclusive just to Augusta, but most other cities as well including Georgia's other cities (Atlanta included).

I'll admit Savannah is a special gem. Savannah is one of the old cities and really saw its growth early on when everything was based on coastal navigation and tight-knit cities. It is the benefactor of history and being the State's oldest city.

I can think of three things that are special to Augusta and they can succeed well if they play to that with increased attention intown. 1) It is a true fall-line city with an old canal cutting into the city to provide power for old, large mills 2) It is an excellent city for medical research, a field which brings people with money to a place 3) Sports tourism/Masters Golf Tournament.

You're right it would be silly to try to be the next Charlotte, a much larger city that is based on finance. However, turn attention to the old charms of a golf course surrounded by Southern trees, push biotech growth really hard, and use urban renewal investments to turn attention to the canal and the river with the many shallow slowly cascading water falls on the river. That is what they are and they can do quite well if they continue to focus on that. I'd be excited too. I've enjoyed hearing about what they are up to down there.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:55 AM

998 posts, read 1,545,190 times
Again Newsboy, do you feel better now? The Augusta board would be a lot better... if we didn't have trolls come to the board turning everything into a "you-know-what" measuring contest. It's not an apples to oranges thing here, hardly.

I don't see anyone "waaa-ing"... I saw a few people calling/wanting a luxury (arena) in Augusta and others telling them it was just not going to happen. That's called a conversation. Go back to the Savannah board. And you sound a lot like expatriado...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area