Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 03:07 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Former Davidson School demolition on hold | The Augusta Chronicle

The former John S. Davidson School has another chance to be saved from the wrecking ball.
Plans to demolish the dilapidated building on Telfair Street were put on hold after renewed interest from potential buyers. Benton Starks, senior director of facilities and services for the Richmond County School System, said negotiations are on the table but no formal offer has been made.

“If someone wants to buy it, of course, we are going to hold off tearing it down because obviously that’s a better fit for it,” Starks said.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
The TEE Center, renovated Fort Discovery(Discovery Plaza), upgrading of the Imperial theatre, GGHF property, renovated Miller theatre, etc will help speed up the current momentum downtown..

Farmhaus Burger to open on Broad Street | The Augusta Chronicle
A new hamburger restaurant is coming to downtown Augusta. Farmhaus Burger will open at 1204 Broad St. in October, said Sean Wight, the owner of Frog Hollow Tavern on Broad Street.

The Wights purchased the building, and extensive renovations should be under way this week. The total building covers more than 16,000 square feet, and the downstairs space will be divided in half. Farmhaus Burger will occupy 4,100 square feet downstairs and will seat 75 guests.

“I have another restaurant that I’m going to be doing in January in the other half,” Wight said. The second floor of the building will contain seven apartments, he said.

Picture of the building at 1204 Broad....
http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/6...DC8947A9__.jpg

Even if you don't include the new residential underway or about to start at 1225 Greene, 834 Greene, 586 Broad, 220-222 6th street, 556 Broad, 566 Broad, and 307 9th street...

JB Whites = 34 new condos(51 total) opened this year
Johnson building= 13 apts completed this year
901 Broad= 9 apts underway
1120 Jones street= 8 apts underway
920 Greene street= 6 apts underway
967 Broad street= 4 apts completed this year
1204 Broad= 7 apts future project

81 new living spaces in the CBD this year either opened or underway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
Don't know if this has been mentioned or not... the owner of Frog Hollow, arguably the best restaurant in Augusta, is opening up 2 new restaurants on the 1200 block of Broad Street. Involving a 16,000 sqft building, remodeling/renovations will start on one of the restaurants this week and the other restaurant will be opening in January. Apartments will occupy the second story of the building. Good news considering the success this family has had with Frog Hollow!

THIS type of stuff is what downtown needs... and if the music store downtown does indeed move, that would be a great spot for another restaurant apartment combo to set up shop in.
I didn't catch the last comment until now, but apartments on the second floor opened this month... Another restaurant or hopefully a national brand retailer would occupy the building..
Downtown Development Authority approves Georgia Cities loan for Broad Street building | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 07-24-2012, 08:37 PM

Augusta Coliseum Authority approves purchasing $100K Final Four court

A new members only club is under construction and they are making a pretty big buy in hopes of attracting national attention. Arena managers took to the airwaves to give us The Inside Story on plans to purchase the Final Four basketball court and goals.

"People are looking for entertainment. They are looking for all types of entertainment," Johnson said. "We are bringing in good shows. We have the chance to maybe bringing a professional basketball game ... an exhibition game."

There is also a new VIP lounge in the works. The Windsor Club will open to the public with memberships ranging from $700 to $1,000 a year.

The Coliseum Authority approved the new floor at today's meeting. The new lounge is expected to open no later than early September 2012.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:48 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,388,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Augusta Coliseum Authority approves purchasing $100K Final Four court

A new members only club is under construction and they are making a pretty big buy in hopes of attracting national attention. Arena managers took to the airwaves to give us The Inside Story on plans to purchase the Final Four basketball court and goals.

"People are looking for entertainment. They are looking for all types of entertainment," Johnson said. "We are bringing in good shows. We have the chance to maybe bringing a professional basketball game ... an exhibition game."

There is also a new VIP lounge in the works. The Windsor Club will open to the public with memberships ranging from $700 to $1,000 a year.

The Coliseum Authority approved the new floor at today's meeting. The new lounge is expected to open no later than early September 2012.
I hope after they purchases the new court ASU men and ladies basketball teams will start playing some of their big games downtown then at the gym they play in now. Then the news can play it live on a local channel like
they do the high school football game of the week. By showing it tv can show a energetic and safe downtown.

Last edited by amlovingit; 07-24-2012 at 09:03 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 03:23 PM

937 posts, read 1,801,133 times
I personally feel they should focus on renovating the horrid exterior of the building if we're not going to get a completely new arena. This makes no sense to me, someone please enlighten me on why it is taking so long to fix this long over due problem?

Old 07-25-2012, 03:29 PM

614 posts, read 1,101,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Augusta View Post
I personally feel they should focus on renovating the horrid exterior of the building if we're not going to get a completely new arena. This makes no sense to me, someone please enlighten me on why it is taking so long to fix this long over due problem?
The whole JBA should have been imploded. The city can come up with millions for a TEE center and parking deck but can't come up with money to build a new arena that could bring in bigger acts and events? The whole thing is fishy. I, for one, oppose the TEE being built attached to a hotel and then paying them to manage it instead of building it at a neutral site and giving other hotels a fair shot. But the Augusta politicians are mentally handicapped so what can you expect.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:33 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,498 times
Ladies and Gentlemen, a new arena will be constructed in a few years trust me, once ASU reaches D-1, the demand for one will cause the city to build one, maybe across from the enterprise mill. I see basketball, baseball and track moving downtown, and who knows maybe even football in the distant future. It will happen trust me.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:35 PM

Well i'm glad i'm not the only one seeing this, I thought I was being a nag for a moment lol

Old 07-25-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen, a new arena will be constructed in a few years trust me, once ASU reaches D-1, the demand for one will cause the city to build one, maybe across from the enterprise mill. I see basketball, baseball and track moving downtown, and who knows maybe even football in the distant future. It will happen trust me.
It shouldn't take a school to bring something that the city has been needing for years now. Augusta is the second largest city in Georgia and needs to present itself like one. I'm tired of second class entertainment and WWE house shows, when 1st class entertainment acts should be booked

Old 07-25-2012, 04:14 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,498 times
It happens that way sometimes. The city is afraid of negative changes because it can cause a city to sink further into debt, other cases the officials just don't want to see any change, due in part because of extreme growth, urban sprawl and other factors. All successful cities in the world have taken risk. If you need evidence of this look at Atlanta Georgia. If Augusta is to grow into a real world class city risk will have to be taken, like more interstates, wider roads, more shopping opportunities. All this equates to more sprawl, so ask yourself is the risk of extreme sprawl worth it. If you plan a city the right way, you should never have to worry about it, in theory.

In the case of the new U, you will soon see a conflict between the city and university over facilities. That university is going almost double its current enrollment in the next 10 years trust me on this and they will demand things like a bigger arena, stadiums, landscaping, and transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area