U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-20-2009, 09:01 PM

543 posts, read 812,228 times

Advertisements

Georgia Music Hall of Fame may close if it doesn't raise $225,000 *| ajc.com

We already have the Golf Hall of Fame!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 09:11 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,486,209 times
If it did close, the Augusta SHOULD look into reviving it. It could even have a large James Brown exhibition space. If done right, it could be a big tourist draw...maybe even a Hard Rock Cafe Augusta? I kind of like the sound of that, lol.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:20 PM

927 posts, read 964,294 times
No I think that should be something special 2 Mac town, I mean its great they have that its 1 of their attractions! When people think macon music really comes 2 mind esp from the 50s and 60s, augusta if anything should help it survive in macon I might add! We should donate money 2 the hall of fame. In the process we might gain a friend out of the deal. We can come up with our own thing we don't need macons attraction. But off the record I'm all for the hard rock augusta tho lol

Old 12-20-2009, 09:38 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,486,209 times
I think Augusta should have some sort of free-standing music tribute/James Brown attraction/museum. Plus, I was only saying that if Macon couldn't come up with enough money to keep it open...then it's fair game for another city...Augusta shouldn't try to steal it from Macon, just possibly look into reviving it if it were to close. Dare I say it? Use the Fort Discovery space? It IS already set up as a museum! Btw, the Golf Hall of Fame was never actually built, the original design for the Golf and Gardens included a building housing the actual hall of fame...Cal Ripken Jr. has actually incorporated a building for the golf hall of fame in his design plans for the downtown ballpark. Oh, and take a look at this. Pitts wants Georgia Music Hall of Fame in Atlanta - Atlanta Business Chronicle: If the Macon location were to close...Augusta should fight very hard to get it, especially to get chosen over Atlanta...there's no reason why Atlanta should have the monopoly on every tourist attraction in GA while all the rest of the cities suffer.

Last edited by EastsideDave; 12-20-2009 at 10:01 PM..

Old 12-20-2009, 11:29 PM

Thanks for saying that! That my whole point, why let Atlanta get all the tourist attraction in the state? Augusta would the perfect location, it right on the Georgia-Carolina border. Out of state tourist would do downtown wonders.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:30 PM

927 posts, read 964,294 times
Well since you said it like that, yes I agree! Btw Atlanta is getting on my nerves with this spotlight!! But I did make all As there this semester ha ha lol

Old 12-21-2009, 12:34 AM

8,175 posts, read 7,509,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideDave View Post
I think Augusta should have some sort of free-standing music tribute/James Brown attraction/museum. Plus, I was only saying that if Macon couldn't come up with enough money to keep it open...then it's fair game for another city...Augusta shouldn't try to steal it from Macon, just possibly look into reviving it if it were to close. Dare I say it? Use the Fort Discovery space? It IS already set up as a museum! Btw, the Golf Hall of Fame was never actually built, the original design for the Golf and Gardens included a building housing the actual hall of fame...Cal Ripken Jr. has actually incorporated a building for the golf hall of fame in his design plans for the downtown ballpark. Oh, and take a look at this. Pitts wants Georgia Music Hall of Fame in Atlanta - Atlanta Business Chronicle: If the Macon location were to close...Augusta should fight very hard to get it, especially to get chosen over Atlanta...there's no reason why Atlanta should have the monopoly on every tourist attraction in GA while all the rest of the cities suffer.
Ok here I go.I hate to spoil the "Why Atlanta party?" but;DUHHH!!
1)Atlanta gets over 37million visitors a year
2)How many songs do you hear artist representing the "AuG town",Mac Town or Nah-Nah(Savannah;I thought that up myself,it might catch on)
3)It would make more sense that Savannah would be a destination because of the amount of tourist it gets compared to the rest of Georgia second tier cities.
4)Outside of L.A. and NYC,Atlanta is a major entertainment capital.And it music scene although in large part R&B and Hip-Hop,it also has a strong pop and country connections as well.It may not have the pedigree historically,but unfortunately,as much as I would have like it to stay in Macon,I think Atlanta is the only place it will be viable to where people will actually go to it on the regular.

All that said,Augusta needs to step up it A-Game downtown.Thye need to come up with any connection to Golf they can.Here are some quikies;
a)A world class Golf Resorts with the Master name.Maybe on the Savannah River somewhere.
b)an amusement park.Maybe the largest most elaborate minature golf course in the world.
c)Have golf associated art-scultures scattered about the city.
d)Name the streets after famous golpher.Ones that have won the Masters over the years.Even a :Golf Walk of Fame.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:33 AM

Yeah that's a tired, boring, uncreative way of thinking. Just because Augusta is home to the Masters doesn't mean we need to turn the city into some big golf fantasyland. Some day Augusta would have events larger and more renowned than the Masters. We compete in Augusta, if you got it we want it! Give us the hall of fames and watch it grow. Ofcourse Atlanta would more visitors but who cares? It ours.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:24 AM

33 posts, read 40,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Mike View Post
Yeah that's a tired, boring, uncreative way of thinking. Just because Augusta is home to the Masters doesn't mean we need to turn the city into some big golf fantasyland. Some day Augusta would have events larger and more renowned than the Masters. We compete in Augusta, if you got it we want it! Give us the hall of fames and watch it grow. Ofcourse Atlanta would more visitors but who cares? It ours.
I agree, no oversized putt-putt fantasy land downtown, lol! Golf rules Aug for one week out of the year, and to be honest, us fellow augustans or 99% of us really don't get to experiencem it, except for the bad traffic. I have to go to Atl for amusement(six flags) sports, concerts, sometimes shopping, among other things. I have to go to Sav if I want to enjoy the beach, history, culture, trolley, horse and carriage, live entertainment and good food on a ferry. I have to go to Col if i want to take my son to the zoo. How do we expect to draw tourist dollars here, outside of the masters, when theirs really nothing for us Augustans to spend our money on here? And I would rather keep the money in the family(Aug)

Old 12-21-2009, 04:23 AM

8,175 posts, read 7,509,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Mike View Post
And trying to get a museum that already exist somewhere else is creative?LOL!Ok I should clarify that their is a fine line on "kitchky".No one wants that.Next,I think Augusta has real untapped potential.The canal idea aka "the Venice of the South" or "Lil San Antonio" that has been floated around for years needs to come to fruition.Things like that KEEP people in Augusta long after the Masters is gone.It also gives them something to do.Im sorry but Augusta is BORING.
You are fooling yourself if you think that because the Music HOF is loosing money in Macon,that Augusta will be like "magic"?It would eventually be just like the College Football Hall of Fame moving to Atlanta from Ft.Bend.No matter how much of a sentimental thing it is,no one was going to INDI-Frickin-ANNA!!LOL

I like Augusta,but at this moment you guys are just sounding like BOOSTERS not realistically at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area