U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 11:38 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,854,176 times

Advertisements

.....and neither of these are the best view...you cant even see the building in the 2nd pic in the 1st one....but all of them plus a few more are visible driving down Gray Highway in East Macon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideDave View Post
I really think it's pretty close between Columbus, Augusta, and Macon...Augusta's tallest buildings are more clustered together than the other two though, we'll see how tall that Hyatt that's going downtown is going to be, then I'll make my final judgment, but I think Augusta's is slightly better, but only slightly. None of these cities have very spectacular skylines with lots of high-rises though.
Pretty close??? Columbus isnt anywhere near Augusta or Macon in terms of a "skyline"...because they dont have one at all.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:29 AM

3,860 posts, read 5,679,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Pretty close??? Columbus isnt anywhere near Augusta or Macon in terms of a "skyline"...because they dont have one at all.
Yes Columbus does. Columbus has the tallest buildings outside of metro Atlanta....they just aren't clumped together downtown. Don't understand why you guys don't see that.....

Old 05-26-2010, 06:40 AM

1,138 posts, read 2,207,582 times
Yes, Columbus does have a skyline, they just don't have a lot of tall buildings, and the ones they have aren't clustered together.

Also, Columbus may have the tallest building outside of Atlanta (the Aflac building, 19 stories), but that's only 1 story taller than Augusta's tallest building (Riverplace Condos, 18 stories).

The reason I pick Augusta is because we have more tall buildings within close proximity of each other than any other of the cities in question. According to Emporis.com, Macon only has around 3 'tall' buildings in their actual downtown, and these buildings are 15-16 stories tall with the tallest being 16 stories. Columbus only has 2 buildings taller than 10 stories, while Augusta has around 9 buildings in downtown that are 10 stories or taller, also, the 3 tallest buildings (17-18 stories) are all within 1 block of each other.

None of the cities in question have very spectacular skylines (like I said before), but when required to chose, I believe that Augusta's is the best.

As a side note, I found several errors on the Emporis listing for Augusta, like they listed the Marion Bldg (10 floors) as Augusta's tallest building, actually, the tallest is Riverplace (18 floors). Don't know why they say that. Some of you guys from the Columbus and Macon forums might want to check out their listing for your cities to see if they're accurate. If they aren't, please tell me on this thread or in a PM.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:44 AM

I'm sticking by my original thoughts. The best skyline in GA (other than ATL) is up for grabs between Macon and Augusta. Like some of you others have said, none are spectacular.

I don't understand the Columbus argument though. It doesnt make sense to me. You say if all Columbus' tall buildings were clumped together downtown, then you would have a skyline. Yes, that is true, but the fact is they arent. So, how can you say you have a skyline?

Old 05-26-2010, 09:40 AM

1,138 posts, read 2,207,582 times
I don't know, I mean, I guess that having just 2 buildings over 10 stories doesn't really constitute a skyline, but, technically it is still their skyline...I guess it's just open to interpretation

Old 05-26-2010, 10:05 AM

966 posts, read 1,191,234 times
Columbus -
In terms of stories, yes... Columbus has the most stories outside of Atlanta with 19 stories. Stories tall don't necessarily translate to height, you'd think it would but not so much.

Diagrams - SkyscraperPage.com

Aflac Tower - 75m tall
Muscogee County Courthouse - 55m

Macon-
Diagrams - SkyscraperPage.com?

BB&T Bank 65m tall
Charter Medical 65m
St. Paul Towers 60m

Augusta-
In terms of actual height... August has 3 buildings taller than the Aflac tower in Columbus.

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?

Lamar Building - 95m tall
River Place 85m
Wachovia 80m
St. John's Tower 70m
Suntrust 65m

Not proclaiming Augusta's skyline as "the *hit", because it's not, but Augusta has the tallest buildings outside of Atlanta if we're actually talking about height. Good thing is, Columbus and Augusta have alot going for them both and the skylines should change somewhat here in the near future. Not familiar with many of the ongoing projects in Columbus as I am here in Augusta, but I'm sure it's somewhat similar with BRAC taking place.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:09 PM

33 posts, read 57,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideDave View Post
Yes, Columbus does have a skyline, they just don't have a lot of tall buildings, and the ones they have aren't clustered together.

Also, Columbus may have the tallest building outside of Atlanta (the Aflac building, 19 stories), but that's only 1 story taller than Augusta's tallest building (Riverplace Condos, 18 stories).

The reason I pick Augusta is because we have more tall buildings within close proximity of each other than any other of the cities in question. According to Emporis.com, Macon only has around 3 'tall' buildings in their actual downtown, and these buildings are 15-16 stories tall with the tallest being 16 stories. Columbus only has 2 buildings taller than 10 stories, while Augusta has around 9 buildings in downtown that are 10 stories or taller, also, the 3 tallest buildings (17-18 stories) are all within 1 block of each other.

None of the cities in question have very spectacular skylines (like I said before), but when required to chose, I believe that Augusta's is the best.

As a side note, I found several errors on the Emporis listing for Augusta, like they listed the Marion Bldg (10 floors) as Augusta's tallest building, actually, the tallest is Riverplace (18 floors). Don't know why they say that. Some of you guys from the Columbus and Macon forums might want to check out their listing for your cities to see if they're accurate. If they aren't, please tell me on this thread or in a PM.
According to emporis, the Stillwell tower in Sav, in terms of stories, 20 has the tallest building outside of Atl.
Stillwell towers, Sav----20 floors/stories
Aflac tower, Colum----19 floors/stories
RiverPlace condos, Aug----18 floors/stories
Ramada Plaza, Mac----16 floors/stories

Old 05-26-2010, 06:57 PM

33 posts, read 57,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Augusta View Post
What's the best view of the Augusta skyline!! I know coming down deansbridge from walmart and coming in from sc by sunbelt Nissan are the two BESt views in the city for me!! any body have any other views!!! O nortonguy, didn't the developer change the rendering of the hyatt, if so what is it going to look like now?
I have several favorites, but my top 2 would have to be calhoun expressway coming from washington rd towards downtown where you can see downtown and the medical district. the other would probably be Georgia ave in N Augusta heading towards the 13th street bridge coming into Augusta.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:28 PM

938 posts, read 1,458,599 times
Ok ok let's agree to disagree!! 1st is Atlanta whlith a phenominal skyline, then in second place is Augusta because it does have the most building after Atlanta in close range with a veriation of height!!! Now rather Macon or Columbus is 3rd I have no clue!! P.s augustas skyline is about to expand with the hyatt and other projects coming this year!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area