U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-14-2010, 08:15 AM

831 posts, read 1,792,035 times

Advertisements

I'd say close to 200,000 for the city and maybe 205,000 for the county. Sure there has been growth, but mostly commercial and since the economy went south, residential growth has slowed a bit, even in the Augusta area.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 10:28 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
6,236 posts, read 7,393,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
I'd say close to 200,000 for the city and maybe 205,000 for the county. Sure there has been growth, but mostly commercial and since the economy went south, residential growth has slowed a bit, even in the Augusta area.
Yeah you're absolutely correct. Cities are nowhere near pre 2007 in the number of home construction permits.

But residential growth in Augusta was higher in 2009 than 2008.

As of December 13th 2009. There were already 400 more new home construction permits compared to all of 2008.
Augusta area new home construction on rebound 121309 - The Augusta Chronicle

One of the new neighborhoods I was talking about. Willhaven off Gordon hwy btw Jimmie Dyess and Harlem. Is one of the reasons for more permits in 2009.

In August, they purchased a newly built, five-bedroom home with a basement at Willhaven Estates near Fort Gordon. The military family with four children had outgrown its old home in Grovetown and wanted to upgrade. At Willhaven, they got a 4,140-square-foot home and the amenities they wanted for $209,000.

"My husband and I are both native New Yorkers. Down here, you just get a lot more bang for the buck," Mrs. Jiggetts said.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It's nice growth - FOR AUGUSTA. No one from any larger city (and there are many larger cities) is very impressed with anything you've posted photos of. Highway construction? A new school? Townhouses? Please stop.
Lol still sour grapes over the ''Medical Center of the South'' thread.

Only highway construction, a new school, and townhomes.

Billions going into SRS and $800 million biomass plant.

1 billion NSA

6.4 billion Plant Vogtle.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:14 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,481,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I do agree with you there, nortonguy. We may not be the best, but we are certainly in the very top tier. Doctors Hospital/Burn Center being the largest in the country and MCG being GA's med/dental school is what puts us over the top. University, the VA, and Eisenhower are all just icing on the cake.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:23 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,749,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post

Only highway construction, a new school, and townhomes.

Billions going into SRS and $800 million biomass plant.

1 billion NSA

6.4 billion Plant Vogtle.
Sour grapes? Over your unreasonable Augusta fantasy? You're funny.

Those things are all very nice - FOR AUGUSTA. But, welcome to reality...I hope you enjoy your stay.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:47 PM

543 posts, read 810,234 times
For Augusta? I bet alot of cities around the country would like some of the growth Augusta is getting. Dont bring that Augusta bashin over here bro. Im pround that Augusta kept it head and shoulders above water in hard times. the NSA on Fort Gordon is one of very very few in the world, that impressive no matter what city you are from. I'll defend Noetonguy because he actually has the black & white to back it up, some you guys are just in denial no matter what. You are right about one thing Deacon J, there are very nice things going on in Augusta. Lets leave it at that and leave the bashing at the door.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:19 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,749,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Mike View Post
For Augusta? I bet alot of cities around the country would like some of the growth Augusta is getting. Dont bring that Augusta bashin over here bro. Im pround that Augusta kept it head and shoulders above water in hard times. the NSA on Fort Gordon is one of very very few in the world, that impressive no matter what city you are from. I'll defend Noetonguy because he actually has the black & white to back it up, some you guys are just in denial no matter what. You are right about one thing Deacon J, there are very nice things going on in Augusta. Lets leave it at that and leave the bashing at the door.
It's not Augusta bashing...I live near Augusta and happen to think very much of the city. You should look back at some comments that have been made before you make such assumptions.

Hot Mike, meet nortonguy...and take a look at his outlandish comments about Augusta in the City vs City section. Then you'll understand where I'm coming from.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:25 PM

4,907 posts, read 5,384,472 times
I am not from Augusta, grew up on the other side of the state so not one to be a booster cause it's my hometown. However, I love to see all of Georgia's cities prosper.

One huge thing that needs to be taken into account is that Augusta's merger with Richmond County gives a bit of a skewed statistic. It is better compared with Columbus and Athens that have both merged with their counties. None of these cities have shown monumental population growth after their new combined city/county governments were created.

Augusta had shrunk below 50,000 prior to consolidation. That put it in a population class along with the likes of Warner Robins and Valdosta. Of course the metro area was ten times that so some annexation or consolidation was warranted, but since consolidation the population has been rather stagnant. Seems the majority of the population growth for metro Augusta has been in Columbia County or across the river in Aiken County.

All the growth listed here is good for Augusta and shows the metro area has fared well in this economy, but I still don't see much proof from the boosters that population growth has boomed inside the city limits to warrant that the population has reversed and risen over the 200,000 mark already. All of the job growth within the city does not mean that the people coming in for those jobs aren't buying in Columbia or Aiken which seems to be a two decade trend.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:31 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,481,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintmarks View Post
all the growth listed here is good for augusta and shows the metro area has fared well in this economy, but i still don't see much proof from the boosters that population growth has boomed inside the city limits to warrant that the population has reversed and risen over the 200,000 mark already. All of the job growth within the city does not mean that the people coming in for those jobs aren't buying in columbia or aiken which seems to be a two decade trend.
Thank You. That was the point I had been attempting to make, but some people just didn't want to hear it.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:59 PM

Richmond county gained more people than Aiken and Columbia in 07-08.

2007-2008 the metro area gained 6,000 people. Richmond county gained 2,000 people.

Columbia, Aiken, Mcduffie, Burke, Edgefield. The five counties split the remaining 4,000.

Richmond county gained a third of the increase in 07-08. Im sure RC gained higher in 2008-2009 and 2009-2010

Last edited by nortonguy; 01-14-2010 at 05:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area