Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 10:51 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,190 times

Advertisements

Lighting.

I think so much more of Augusta, especially downtown, could be improved with a LOT more lighting around the city. Drive down Walton Way from Gordon Hwy to 15 Street...that is a scary right for the most part. Very dark.

Even at the intersection of 13th and Walton Way where the Medical Center really starts...very dark. Some nice lampposts or even basic pole lighting would really improve the area.

All along Broad could use the same...there are some lights here and there, but they aren't bright enough (they give off that eerie yellow-ish tint) and there aren't nowhere near enough.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 01:35 PM

92 posts, read 180,227 times
There's an article in the chronicle about this from the past week. I think for Broad St., not sure about the other areas you mentioned.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:45 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,695,260 times
I've noticed the same thing, there either are no lights at all, or when there are lights, they are very dim and really don't light up an area much at all.

Like lab4life said, they are about to upgrade the lights on Broad...they said it will make the area safer having the new brighter lights...so that's a good start, they just need to expand it to all of downtown and the surrounding neighborhoods.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:51 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,872 times
The new St. Sebastian Way is pretty dark at night for a new construction too. Yea, 5th-13th street will be re-lit as well as the parking areas in the center of Broad. The current lighting would suffice for any other cities "broad street", ours however is one of the widest urban streets in the world... With the trees on both sides and in the middle parking areas, it takes a heckuvalot more light to appear "well lit". Broad Should be much better. It also made mention of the projects on Reynolds and how it would make them brighter as well.

It's not exactly a comprehensive reform, but it's a good start.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:48 PM

41 posts, read 113,845 times
Augusta should have a great music scene but all i could find is this bullcrap of a song writing venue. Blue Horse the awesome song writing studio goes under and Norkus Song Writers is still in business. What was more of an embarrassment was the rundown house his studio is in. The driveway knocked my Escape out of line bad. Stay away from Norkus or other South Augusta music studios as he babbles around the bush when he records music and barely knows how to run a computer. He even needed me to show him how to type in a website directly instead of using the search engine as he did not know how. Yet he is still open. Typical Augusta.

Attached Thumbnails
Noticed What Augusta Is Lacking-mikenorkus.jpg  

Last edited by pinebridge; 08-19-2010 at 12:02 AM..

Old 08-19-2010, 06:39 AM

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with this individual pinebridge, but I don't think that you should use this 1 bad experience to make your judgment of Augusta, there is a lot of good in the city, I'm just sad that you've failed to recognize it. If I was to make my judgment of a city based on 1 bad thing that's happened to me, then I'd hate a lot of places, even your precious Atlanta; but I don't, because I am able to the good and bad of any city, including Augusta. No matter what experiences you've had with this city in the past, you can't argue that it's not changing and moving towards better things.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:53 PM

41 posts, read 113,845 times
EastsideDave, You are right. This was an aweful experience for me. I worked hard through my childhood and high school writing songs of the electronic genre. in the fall of 1998, This man wooed me into a "good deal" for song writing and had me sign a 1 year contract and he promised me in a WRITTEN contract he would push my music hard in Atlanta, New York, Charlotte, and Athens as well as Augusta. From day 1 AFTER i foolishly signed the dotted line, he told me the Electronic genre of music was worthless and tried to push me to country which I despise or Gospel which is not my cup of tea either. He took my money and songs and said he would not push them but recommended I start writing country and gospel songs. He just refused to publish MY STYLE of music. To make matters worst, 1 year later when my contract ended he wold not give me back my music because he lost them when he changed buildings and dumb me did not have extra copies of my songs. This tore me apart. I quickly learned that Augusta only supports Rap and Country music. In 2000 I moved to Atlanta and attended GSU and never looked back at Augusta except to visit Family. In Augusta, my music career died and this left a bitter taste in my mouth as this was my life. I am currently planning a comeback as I have rewrote many songs IN MS WORD this time so I have backups and am working with a much much better music studio in Atlanta with my genre of music that Augusta did not support. I would however consider doing a concert in the North Augusta or Artist Row area of Augusta as you are finally getting a crowd of people in this area of the city that is open to better music than rap and country. I do think this part of Augusta will gradually change my mind on the close minded rest of Augusta. I do have faith in this part of Augusta but there are still no good music venues in this area for this genre but the outskirts of Augusta will take along long time to change.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:18 PM

Pinebridge, it really sucks that that happened to you...I too have met people who will rip you off as soon as look at you... I wish you luck with your endeavors, and if you'd like a new set of ears, I'd be glad to listen your music, you can PM me if you wish.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:36 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,190 times
I think if all of downtown Augusta could be lit up and landscaped like Laney Walker currently is, that would be a big improvement. For such a ghetto area, Laney Walker does a nice job covering it all up with the buildings, landscaping, and lighting.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:28 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Thats because the parts of Laney Walker where you see the new buildings, landscaping, townhomes, neighborhoods, street lights, etc is hardly ghetto... Whispering Pines, Heritage Pines, The Enclave, etc are nice places to live.....

The parts of Laney Walker one could considered ghetto/less desirable are where there's still many vacant lots and homes..... Between Laney Walker Boulevard and Wrightsboro road.... This is the area of LW set to be demolished and rebuilt in the next few months......

Last edited by nortonguy; 08-22-2010 at 12:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
View detailed profiles of: