U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 03:24 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
6,230 posts, read 7,266,039 times

Advertisements

Construction on the Kroc Center is scheduled to begin with a 10:30 a.m. groundbreaking on Feb. 3. It will take about 16 months to complete.

The 17-acre center will include a 100,000 square-foot Arts, Education, Recreation and Worship Campus in the Harrisburg neighborhood along Broad Street. The main structure of the Corps Community Center will offer over 75,000 square feet of space to include a 400-seat Performing Arts Theater and Worship Hall, a 280-seat community hall, an indoor aquatics center, a senior citizens lounge as well as classrooms for arts, music, education and recreational programming.

7 acres of greenspace along the Augusta Canal

Local firm to build Kroc Center 011510 - The Augusta Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 10:15 AM

Red banners sprung up Friday afternoon on Broad Street in support of the Salvation Army's Augusta Kroc Center.

The display of banners, located on power poles in the center of downtown, was approved by the Augusta Commission and is meant to coincide with the center's Feb. 3 groundbreaking.

"We've been looking forward to having them up for a while," said Derek Dugan, the Salvation Army's Kroc Center coordinator. "Driving down there and seeing that is kind of a 'we did it' mentality going on here now."

Red banners sprung up Friday afternoon on Broad Street in support of the Salvation Army's Augusta Kroc Center.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:09 AM

220 posts, read 398,707 times
That's a perfect symbol for what the community has done. Some cities couldn't raise the money to begin construction.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:31 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,463,006 times
If the city tore down Olmstead Homes, ALL of Harrisburg would probably see a huge shift in the kinds of people living there, the 'bad folks' would leave and the good residents would see there neighborhood transform before their eyes, the same thing should happen to Cherry Tree in Laney Walker, the city needs to stop with the public housing, because it has proved that it does nothing but run neighborhoods into the ground. Maybe the city should tear down all the existing public housing projects and just have one large one somewhere out in the sticks lol. Maybe the Kroc Center will pump some positive energy into the area.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideDave View Post
If the city tore down Olmstead Homes, ALL of Harrisburg would probably see a huge shift in the kinds of people living there, the 'bad folks' would leave and the good residents would see there neighborhood transform before their eyes, the same thing should happen to Cherry Tree in Laney Walker, the city needs to stop with the public housing, because it has proved that it does nothing but run neighborhoods into the ground. Maybe the city should tear down all the existing public housing projects and just have one large one somewhere out in the sticks lol. Maybe the Kroc Center will pump some positive energy into the area.
The city doesn't build public housing anymore. When have you seen new public housing anywhere? Infact the city tore down two public housing projects this year. Gilbert Manor and Underwood Homes.

LOL when did Cherry Tree become apart of Laney Walker? Don't spend to much time down there do you Eastsidedave. But I agree how Riverglenn, East Augusta Commons, and Sunset(Cherry Tree) should all be tore down.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:54 PM

I meant they need to stop supporting public housing, whether that be through keeping existing one's open or building new ones.

I guess I should have said Bethlehem *rolls eyes*, but there is a housing project on Laney Walker Blvd.
And no, I don't spend much time in Laney Walker or Bethlehem, I like not getting shot.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:54 PM

They need to knock down Allen and Jennings homes too. Then Augusta would have no more public housing projects left. Tearing down housing projects is not a easy thing to do. There are always the people who will say now you're spreading the thugs into the suburbs.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideDave View Post
I meant they need to stop supporting public housing, whether that be through keeping existing one's open or building new ones.

I guess I should have said Bethlehem *rolls eyes*, but there is a housing project on Laney Walker Blvd.
And no, I don't spend much time in Laney Walker or Bethlehem, I like not getting shot.
Lol, Cherry Tree is not in Bethlehem either. Bethlehem is a older neighborhood of homes not a public housing project. Laney Walker is a neighborhood too.

Why would you get shot in Laney Walker or Bethlehem? I'm in these areas frequently while working with ANIC. I've never have had any problems nor have any of my co-workers. Nobody is going to shoot your for no reason. There haven't even been any shootings this year in either neighborhood anyway.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:02 PM

Since you seem to know everything and are so familiar with the area, where is Cherry Tree Crossing???

Old 01-25-2010, 06:08 PM

Cherry Tree is located right off 15th street. The kids attend Josey High school, and the Laney Walker area students attend Lucy C Laney High school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area