Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 06:38 PM

52 posts, read 345,017 times

Advertisements

I am relocating downsouth with my job later this year. My job's move is to Aiken SC however I hear Augusta Georgia is not too far.

Can someone offer any any comparisons/contrasts on the 2 areas?

We currently reside in a suburb of the metro Detroit area and are looking for a similar place for our family and too raise our 3 small children.

I've heard some good things about Aiken SC, and some things which concern me.

Just looking for tons of honest information from people who are actually living in the area.

Thank you,
Cmarie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 10:42 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,684 times
Hmm. The two areas are quite different...but then again similar in some aspects.

Size. Augusta is certainly larger population wise and has "suburbs", if you will, around it. Aiken is just Aiken with a couple different sides of town.

I think it is safe to say without a doubt that Aiken appears to be the more "cleaner" of the two cities...Aiken's downtown area really stands out with nice restaurants, bars, and boutiques...and attracts good people.

Augusta provides a lot more shopping with multiple shopping centers and a large mall. You can also find nice boutique shops in Surrey Center as well. The Aiken Mall is probably the worst mall in the Southeast.

As far as dining goes, I'd say they are about the same in terms of quality. They both have their share of chain restaurants, with Augusta having more because of size, and each has their own local restaurants that people enjoy- I just feel Aiken has "more" nice places to dine in relation to size.

It just depends on what you are looking for...starting with size. Aiken doesn't have a metropolitan feel to it- more of a laid back place that has everything you want. While Augusta isn't what I would call "metropolitan" by a stretch in comparison to large cities- it provides that feel to it with a downtown with "tall" buildings, suburbs, multiple main highways inside the city, interstate(s) coming through the city rather than out the outskirts (like Aiken), and a lot more traffic.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:01 AM

583 posts, read 2,633,774 times
@seaspur....it would not let me give you more 'points' but your post was extremly accurate with the exception of the Aiken Mall. The worst in the southeast??? Maybe the saddest in the SE!! I almost bust into tears the first time I went (after moving from Atlanta) realizing I really had more to small town,USA. After living for the past few years in Dallas I would adore to be back in 29803.

@cmaire.....you are asking the right questions! I know how difficult it is to make such a long distance transfer. Keep researching and visiting and you will find your spot!!

Old 02-26-2010, 07:05 AM

583 posts, read 2,633,774 times
One more thing....since you have small kids, when you go check out the cities be sure to stop by the Aiken library and Hopeland gardens in Aiken. Those were 2 of my daughters favorite spots. I am still giving my vote to Aiken.....

Old 02-26-2010, 08:10 AM

40 posts, read 92,908 times
Well, Aiken has 2 Wal Marts, a Target, Home Depot, Lowe's, Publix. Belk, Dillards, Sears, JCP and Books a Million in the mall. It seems like there are a lot of beautiful gated communities and some nice older and newer developments. A very active Newcomer's Group with quite a few relocated professionals. Small but beautiful University of South Carolina campus. Julliard is about to kick off their annual program here. Two big in town parks. Lovely theater in town.

We saw Cirque de Soleil in Augusta a few months ago. About 20 minutes away. The new complex, Kroc Center, I'm assuming will be a venue for more Broadway shows and big name concerts. Beautiful Fresh Market and Earth Faire in Augusta. Nice mall with Barnes and Nobel, J Jill, Sephora, PF Changs, etc.

Anyway, as horse people without children who relocated here from the northeast, we don't have the same needs and concerns as a young family with children, but I thought I'd mention some of things that are attractive to us about both areas other than the obvious weather plus. Augusta seems close enough to Aiken that it's an easy trip over if you wanted a small town feel for home in Aiken with more amenities available close by in Augusta. Aiken does have an acutal "downtown" as opposed, I assume, to some of the attractive communities surrounding Augusta such as Evans or North Augusta.

Relatively new to the area, so please forgive and correct any inaccuracies or misperceptions!

Old 02-26-2010, 09:51 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyogi View Post
@seaspur....it would not let me give you more 'points' but your post was extremly accurate with the exception of the Aiken Mall. The worst in the southeast??? Maybe the saddest in the SE!!
Well, I guess the only other mall I can think of that is worse would be Prince of Orange Mall in Orangeburg, SC...and Dutch Square in Columbia (if you even want to call that a mall still).

Mall's are just a thing of the past for the most part- unenclosed shopping centers with a few big box retailers and strips around them are the new trend and just more convenient it seems for people these days.

I expect the Aiken Mall to be non-existent in the next 10 years. The real estate is just too grand for it to sit there with hardly any shopping draws, in my opinion.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:42 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,098,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post

It just depends on what you are looking for...starting with size. Aiken doesn't have a metropolitan feel to it- more of a laid back place that has everything you want. While Augusta isn't what I would call "metropolitan" by a stretch in comparison to large cities- it provides that feel to it with a downtown with "tall" buildings, suburbs, multiple main highways inside the city, interstate(s) coming through the city rather than out the outskirts (like Aiken), and a lot more traffic.
The interstates in Augusta run through the outskirts.

I-20 in Richmond county runs through West Augusta. I-520 in Richmond county runs through West Augusta, South Augusta, and East Augusta. Before it turns into I-520 palmetto pkwy in North Augusta.

Last edited by nortonguy; 02-26-2010 at 11:54 AM..

Old 02-26-2010, 11:52 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,098,266 times
Aiken is a suburb of Augusta. People commute back and forth daily. It probably comes down to wanting a ''medium size city'' or ''medium size town''.

Augusta and Aiken both have very nice neighborhoods. The commute is 20 to 25 minutes.

Last edited by nortonguy; 02-26-2010 at 12:02 PM..

Old 02-26-2010, 12:23 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,694,761 times
I don't really know if I'd call Aiken a 'suburb' of Augusta per se, Aiken is more of a medium size town (like you said) that is only a few minutes from Augusta. Aiken has it's own history and downtown, etc. that is separate from Augusta's. When you say 'suburb', I think of places that have only started to really develop only 'recently' as an alternative to living in Augusta, i.e. Evans, Martinez, etc. But that's just my opinion.

Anyway, Aiken has all of the amenities that a family would need. Plenty of retail and dining options (both local and chain), plenty of nice public parks, a variety of very nice new and old neighborhoods, and Aiken has very good schools (both public and private). Aiken also has a very quaint downtown with local shops and restaurants.

Augusta has many of the same things Aiken does, just more of it. There are plenty of chain retail stores and restaurants in addition to many local options. Augusta also has a very good, large mall.

It all just depends on what kind of place you're looking for, you can live in the larger Augusta, or the smaller Aiken, or you can pick any of the places in between (North Augusta, the Midland Valley Area, etc.) Which ever one you chose, it's only a short ~20 minute drive from one to the other.

Last edited by EastsideDave; 02-26-2010 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 02-26-2010, 12:38 PM

9 posts, read 29,455 times
Lived in Aiken most of my life, 30 here and 10 in Georgia. Move to Aiken, no comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area