Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 05:14 AM

614 posts, read 1,100,867 times

Advertisements

Nortonguy and EastsideDave, Everything y'all have stated I already knew. And I know y'all probably were just stating the obvious. I have been to both malls in Savannah and I know that both of them put together couldn't touch the Augusta Mall. And I did realize that the Augusta Mall is surrounded my more affluent households then the Regency Mall (of course we all know the demographics shift was one of the things that did the mall in) when I wrote the post. I'm just simply saying that for 20+ years ,I think, the mall that originally was bigger than the Augusta Mall was supported by the citizens of Augusta. Now, I know the Regency Mall will never comeback. I'm just wishing that it never went away.

I totally agree with both of y'all posts. But I still believe that a mall the size of the Dutch Square Mall/Center in Columbia, SC would work on the southside.

Dutch Square - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 02:51 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
I think in 2-4 years another type of lifestyle center will be built in West Augusta. It'll be in 30909 but it'll be in Southwest Augusta on Jimmie Dyess near Ft. Gordon or on gordon hwy btw Jimmie Dyess and Harlem. Basically the untouched country gordon hwy. The area is home to Willhaven the 2009 best selling neighborhood in the CSRA. The area can grow for a long time. Alot of rich people in Belair Estates which is near too.

In South Augusta there are three very good spots. Tobacco rd btw windsor spring and the airport, peach orchard rd btw tobacco rd and the Hephzibah city limits, and mike padgett hwy 56 btw tobacco rd and Mcbean. The money in South Augusta is around Goshen, Diamond Lakes, Willis Foreman rd, the part of brown rd not in the Hephzibah city limits, etc.

Imagine in the future when even Hephzibah and Blythe get there own mall/lifestyle center. Even Mcbean or South Richmond.

Income per capita grows around Augusta region | The Augusta Chronicle

Last edited by nortonguy; 04-23-2010 at 03:12 PM..

Old 04-23-2010, 02:52 PM

242 posts, read 596,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
Nortonguy and EastsideDave, Everything y'all have stated I already knew. And I know y'all probably were just stating the obvious. I have been to both malls in Savannah and I know that both of them put together couldn't touch the Augusta Mall. And I did realize that the Augusta Mall is surrounded my more affluent households then the Regency Mall (of course we all know the demographics shift was one of the things that did the mall in) when I wrote the post. I'm just simply saying that for 20+ years ,I think, the mall that originally was bigger than the Augusta Mall was supported by the citizens of Augusta. Now, I know the Regency Mall will never comeback. I'm just wishing that it never went away.

I totally agree with both of y'all posts. But I still believe that a mall the size of the Dutch Square Mall/Center in Columbia, SC would work on the southside.

Dutch Square - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Actually its not a very good idea to have a mall on that place unless its one floor. My dad said Regency was built on a swamp, and he thought it was swaying a bit when he was in it. Its easier to start over and if a new one was built, I'd probably still go to the Augusta mall unless I needed something fast.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:47 AM

I wasn't saying lets build a new mall on the site of the old regency. Dutch square is a one story mall. I would not dream of advocating a mall the size of the old Regency or Augusta Mall or even the VAR on the southside. I'm a big fan of the Augusta Mall and wouldn't discourage anyone from going to it.

Nortonguy, I don't think that Blythe or Hephzibah will get their own mall/lifestyle center anytime soon. Not enough money nor people in Blythe yet. I can see Hephzibah/South Richmond getting a mall/lifestyle center because of Goshen, Mcbean and the other areas.

I'm guessing you said in 2-4 yrs, because by then a lot of the companies that have announced that they are coming to the csra will have their newly built plants up and running.

Time to get back to the topic.

Any new restaurants or retail?

Old 04-27-2010, 10:27 AM

Two new bars coming downtown. The sad news is one of them will replace Broad Street Market.

Metro Spirit: This Just In (http://www.metrospirit.com/index.php?cat=122309084390509&act=post&pid=1235220 4103050002 - broken link)

The Bar on Broad at 917 Broad Street next to The Loft, as well as a new business at the former site of Broad Street Market at 1282 Broad Street. There is no name listed for the latter spot, but a representative from Southeastern Food Services & Even Consulting, the company asking for the license, told the commission that they are planning to sell drinks by the glass as well as having retail sales.

Last edited by nortonguy; 04-27-2010 at 10:39 AM..

Old 04-27-2010, 02:09 PM

Wowsers! Broad Street Market is done already. Casa Blanca in the Whites Condo building is next. Never seemed like either place was lively. And it's a shame because both places looked so upscale. Besides, Broad Street Market location was just bad. I know that T-boys Po-boys closed a while back, as well. Soy noodle house and Bees Nees seem to be going strong.

I must state again Nortonguy. Augusta Mall and AE is where it's at! Oops forgot to mention Washington Rd.

Despite the fact that more folks are moving and are looking to move to downtown, what is going on with the businesses down there? The only places viable down there are bars/clubs.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:18 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,694,087 times
I've never been to Broad Street Market or T-Boys so I don't know the exact reason why they closed, but I'd be willing to guess it's got a lot to do with poor service. I'm surprised Pizza Joint is still going strong since every time I go there the service is an abomination.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:40 PM

Broad Street Market was here for a while. Casa Blanca is very diffrent from Broad Street Market. Broad Street Market was a restaurant. Casa Blanca is much more than a cafe.
Casa Blanca Cafe - More Than Just a Cafe...Â*Â*But don't wait until May to try us!
They have art shows, academy awards parties, salsa club night, tango club night, etc.
SPOTTED ++ The focus is on you (http://spotted.augusta.com/display.html?gallery=170863&event=89155144&photo=8 62871&imgsize=&sort=&nav=prev#photo - broken link)
Then the cafe is on the inside of a residential condo. The hours at Broad Street Market were very strange. People didn't know when they were open or closed. I thought they were still open myself. The fact that somebody brought the building so fast says something. Downtown is where it's at in 2010.

I spend alot of time downtown. You probably need to visit Blue Sky Kitchen, New Moon Cafe, Garden City Organics, Cafe 209, Artistic Perceptions, Book Tavern, Du Jour Fine Foods, Luigis, Elduets Treasures of the World, Quilt Shop on the Corner, the galleries on Artist Row, Vintage Ooollee, Nacho Mamas, Beamies on the River, Tire City Potters, La Masion, Costumes by Michelle, etc.
Artistic Perceptions Index
Elduets Treasures of the World in Augusta, GA
Luigi's since 1949, Augusta Georgia
Shishir Chokshi Tire City Potters Ceramics#
Vintage Ooollee | Facebook
Arson, after all, is an artificial crime…A large number of books deserve to be burnt.
Home
Du Jour Fine Foods | Facebook
Garden City Organics | Organic Supplies
Quilt Shop on the Corner

Last edited by nortonguy; 04-27-2010 at 03:16 PM..

Old 04-27-2010, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the info Nortonguy.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:46 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,694,087 times
I DO need to try Luigi's, several people have told me that it's very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area