Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2010, 09:28 AM

12 posts, read 26,309 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know what is going in the old Movie Gallery near the Evans Walmart? Drove by last night and they were painting the walls gray and brown, and also putting plastic on the windows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 09:55 AM

51 posts, read 226,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacrazyalbino View Post
I think they mainly did that for the annual fourth of July celebration, since overflow parking is at the fairgrounds. it would be nice if it all met up though.
I'm excited about the new sidewalks, and me & the wife have already used them, but I wish they would have built a multipurpose path like what they have on Evans to Locks rd. It would have been awesome to have a multipurpose trail running alongside William Few (Chamblin), and then connecting into the proposed Euchee Creek trail. That way, people from the neighborhoods could actually just ride their bikes to the trail. As it is now, the sidewalk isn't big enough to accomodate bikes and people. Plus, isn't it illegal to ride a bike on a sidewalk anyway?

Old 07-30-2010, 01:18 PM

937 posts, read 1,800,415 times
What is being built next to the ihop on Washington rd and a little bit up the street?

Old 07-30-2010, 03:19 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
Signs direct visitors from gateways to attractions | The Augusta Chronicle
To come are new directionals at the new St. Sebastian Way exit off River Watch Parkway, which brings most commuters and travelers to Augusta's medical district and attractions downtown, Bowen said.

Also in the works are improvements at the Doug Barnard Parkway boundary of Augusta's Messerly Wastewater Treatment Plant, which Miller took for the source of the odor she smelled at the airport. A $50,000 grant will help create a visual barrier between Messerly and Doug Barnard Parkway, the road most visitors take from the airport to their destination.

ICON brings the city's new master plan, which cost $500,000, to Augusta next week seeking final feedback from the public. Slated for demolition in the new master plan is the Augusta gateway Shields most dislikes -- the John C. Calhoun overpass, which whisks Washington Road motorists over historic Harrisburg and drops them off at 12th Street downtown.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:28 PM

A very intresting quote taken from the article.......

''Once completed , an Interstate 20-Bobby Jones Expressway interchange on the southeast side of Augusta will create a beautiful access route downtown, he said.''

I don't think Mr. Shields misspoke, He has to know the I-20/I-520 interchange in West Augusta is finished. Both ''once completed and ''will create'' are in the present tense.. GA DOT did announced the next major road project coming to Augusta, it would happen in South Augusta......

''Keene said a widening project for Bobby Jones Expressway aka I-520 from Gordon Highway to Deans Bridge Road is scheduled to start sometime next year. The work will widen the expressway to six lanes, add signals, change the configuration of the Gordon Highway ramps and change traffic patterns and signals for the Deans Bridge Road ramps''.

What do you think Mr. Shields comment meant?

Old 07-30-2010, 11:17 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,105 times
I was downtown tonight and drove down Reynolds Street on the way home... It appears that demolition/cleanup of the existing vacant buildings at the TEE center site has begun. It was kinda dark and couldn't really get a good look as I was in traffic, but expect things to start picking up on this and soon! Who was the genius that decided it was a good idea to re-pave Reynolds Street with all this construction beginning in that area downtown? He needs a raise...

Old 07-31-2010, 01:32 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,121 times
They want to direct traffic along Gordon Highway and make that an access route to downtown? Ha. I don't think Gordon Highway is the message you want to send to incoming visitors.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:04 PM

937 posts, read 1,800,415 times
Gordon highway should be boomng with life and retail and business but honestly it looks like a ghost strip riding down it!!!

Old 08-04-2010, 11:01 AM

Neighborhood Has Its Own Plan For Lake Olmstead | WJBF
"About three or four years ago an engineer in our neighborhood put together the Lakemont Neighborhood Master Plan included in the there are ideas to expand out park,” said Broke Buxton,(She is the person behind the Saturday Market) of the neighborhood association.

One of the proposals is to build a six foot wide multiuse path that would go all the way around the lake, for bikers, joggers and walkers. The Lakemont Neighborhood Master Plan is high on recreation, that proposal says if a new ballpark is built downtown the city should use the current stadium site to expand Lake Olmstead Park, the plan would also like to see Broad Street rerouted at the Calhoun Expressway to give the park even more room.

Consultant John Shields who's putting together the half million dollar South Augusta Master Plan also has some ideas for Lake Olmstead; he's proposing neighborhood expansion with additional housing at the stadium site if a new ballpark is built.

Buxton says the members of the neighborhood association will be talking to John Shields this week to discuss the two plans.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:09 AM

The Augusta National made every tenant leave the Big Tree shopping center on Washington road. The demolishing of the shopping center is about to start soon..
Planning & Zoning - Project Search Details
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area