Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,631 times

Advertisements

can anyone give me some info on augusta ga? my husband and myself r coming from chicago with 4 kids. we r looking for a area with affordable living, quiet and that have a city feel. also my oldest daughter will be going to 8th grade this year. can someone please give us a heads up on some areas. thank u
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 07:41 AM

242 posts, read 596,216 times
I don't think you want downtown or anything south of downtown then.
Downtown could be loud even at night and south of downtown is more country like then city like.
Go to Columbia County and try to stay north of Martinez (urban sprawl). Schools are pretty good and you have easy access to Clark Hill/Thurmond Lake. The sprawl has slowed so it hasn't really gotten the area above Woodbridge in that county just yet.
You could also do North Augusta (right across the border from downtown Augusta), but I can't help you there. I have only been in that area to go thru to go somewhere on vacation (no not Columbia, anywhere but there).

Old 05-25-2010, 10:05 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
I would recommend the West Augusta area, since you're looking for a city feel. The area has several tucked away and hidden neighborhoods near major roads/shopping centers.. Subdivisions where you can find peace and quiet, and still feel like you're in the city. The schools in West Augusta are good too.

I would recommend Olde Town too. This is a growing and trendy neighborhood outside of downtown. Their is a very diverse group of people living in Olde Town. Many artsy, gay, and indie type of people live in Olde Town. The area is nice, quiet, and offers a city feel. If you were to pick Olde Town, you'll be right near some of the best schools in the state.. You do have to apply to Davidson, AR Johnson, and C.T. Walker... Davidson and AR Johnson are 6-12 and C.T Walker K-8.

Davidson is the #1 school in the state of GA. Davidson is the only school in GA to be ranked in the Top 100 schools in america. Davidson has made the Top 100 schools in the nation for three straight years..
John S. Davidson Fine Arts School: Best High Schools - USNews.com
Davidson Fine Arts School ranked in top 100 schools for third year in a row | The Augusta Chronicle

AR Johnson is always ranked in the top 5-10 schools in GA. This is the third year in a row they've been awarded a silver status.
A. R. Johnson Health Science & Engineering Magnet High School: Best High Schools - USNews.com

C.T Walker is also a school of excellence..
C.T. Walker Traditional Magnet - Homepage

Last edited by nortonguy; 05-25-2010 at 10:24 AM..

Old 05-25-2010, 10:19 AM

Davidson, AR Johnson, and CT Walker are only a few of the good schools in the metro. Recently six schools were recognized for being Advanced Placement (AP) Honor Schools. AP is a great thing for students who are focusing on going to college.

The rankings exclude the SC side of the metro... Aiken(North Augusta & Aiken) and Edgefield(Edgefield & Johnston) counties...

Georgia fares quite well in AP exams and scores | Get Schooled

Richmond Academy, Westside, AR Johnson, and Davidson in Richmond County.....

Lakeside and Greenbrier in Columbia county..

Last edited by nortonguy; 05-25-2010 at 10:32 AM..

Old 05-25-2010, 11:01 AM

1,138 posts, read 2,694,087 times
Well, not to be the bearer of bad news, but nowhere in the CSRA can even come close to the 'city feel' that you would get in Chicago. But, that said, I'd recommend some areas in North Augusta first, then areas in West Augusta like others said. You may even want to check into the Aiken area.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:03 PM

4 posts, read 8,206 times
Dont mean to Hijack obabychi's thread but I am also moving to Augusta Area this summer / fall. I will be stationed at Fort Gordon so proximity to post is my primary concern. I imagine Augusta has changed alot since I was last there in 99, so looking for apt complex tips. I lived on post last time, but had some buddies that lived at Marks Church, and stevens Creek. Are these two complexes still good? Any other suggestins? I am single so dont have to worry about schools, but would like a Quiet, secure complex, and can afford most of the complexes i have seen on the internet so not real worried about cost.

thxs for any tips

ken

Last edited by Ken_H_2010; 05-27-2010 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-31-2010, 07:49 PM

5 posts, read 12,725 times
Greetings, all
I'm moving to Augusta from Atlanta (I currently live near Emory). I have only sketchy idea about Augusta and thus have very little specifics of where I'd like to live. I landed a job with ADP (their office is near Wheeler Drive). Can anyone tell me about specific apartment complexes around that part of town, spots to avoid, etc? I'm thinking about living close to my work place so as to not commute much (hate driving in general). Thoughts?

1. Budget: (renting) $500ish. Some wiggle room.
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Prefer apartment. Studio would be ideal (no problem with 1 BR).
3. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood- don't care so long as they're nice and safe.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_H_2010 View Post
Dont mean to Hijack obabychi's thread but I am also moving to Augusta Area this summer / fall. I will be stationed at Fort Gordon so proximity to post is my primary concern. I imagine Augusta has changed alot since I was last there in 99, so looking for apt complex tips. I lived on post last time, but had some buddies that lived at Marks Church, and stevens Creek. Are these two complexes still good? Any other suggestins? I am single so dont have to worry about schools, but would like a Quiet, secure complex, and can afford most of the complexes i have seen on the internet so not real worried about cost.

thxs for any tips

ken
The apartments on Marks Church road and Stevens Creek road are find... Since the cost of rent is not a big issue for you. Look into West Wheeler parkway(tons of nice apartments and townhomes) Brigham Woods, Saint Andrews, Century Glenn, and Century Hills, and Avalon..

Old 06-01-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribose_dna View Post
Greetings, all
I'm moving to Augusta from Atlanta (I currently live near Emory). I have only sketchy idea about Augusta and thus have very little specifics of where I'd like to live. I landed a job with ADP (their office is near Wheeler Drive). Can anyone tell me about specific apartment complexes around that part of town, spots to avoid, etc? I'm thinking about living close to my work place so as to not commute much (hate driving in general). Thoughts?

1. Budget: (renting) $500ish. Some wiggle room.
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Prefer apartment. Studio would be ideal (no problem with 1 BR).
3. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood- don't care so long as they're nice and safe.
You don't have to avoid anything in this part of town. You'll be working in a very nice area of West Augusta. ADP is located on Interstate Pkwy off Wheeler road.. A developer is building luxury apartments right next door to ADP. So $500 per month won't go VERY far in the immediate area... For example the rents of the apartments on West Wheeler Pkwy continue to go up all the time..

But their are some apartments($500 to $600 1 br) who are kinda close to your job(15 minutes or less) Spicewood, Hunters Run, Springhouse, Traditions at Augusta, Huntington, Champion Pines, Arborside, The Greens on Washington, Parker Place, IronHorse, Bradford Pointe, Alexander Place, Forest Hills Racquet Club, Thornberry, West Eagle Green, Madison on the Green, Merrick Place, and RiverCreek....

Hunters Run, Sanctuary, Spicewood, Bradford Pointe, and The Huntington are the closes to ADP...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area