Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:10 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times

Advertisements

Battle Bend Springs is a neighborhood in 78745 - East of Congress, west of 35, south of Ben White, north of Stassney. The neighborhood doesn't seem to fall nicely into any of the areas usually discussed on this forum. Not quite trendy South Austin (just south of the '04, though), not SW, central, nor suburban. Do any of you Austin analysts out there know anout this neighborhood? Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 01:07 PM

9 posts, read 25,104 times
Thumbs up Yes. I have wonderful memories of that place.

I grew up living in Battle Bend Springs. To my knowledge it has not changed more than the trees are all taller and most of the people that i knew are gone. It was a close community. Once a year there is was a picnic for all residents. We even had a directory of all the people who lived in the neighborhood. The directory listed all the kids that mowed lawns or babysat and that kind of thing.

There is a creek near by where the picnics where held and that my friend is where my memories take me. I will never forget my countless times and experiences playing so many different pretend games down there. I and my older brother would play fight like it was the medieval times where we would toss spears across the well travel fields at one another. We never hurt each other. When I got into my early teen’s I would pretend to be in Vietnam and hide from the enemy and then at times just stair up into the beautify clear blue Texas sky and day dream for hours. It was an awesome time and will be for ever.

Well, I can only hope now that some of that sprite still remains but I would go there and check it out. I lived on Fort Clark on the corner. Yes, i did.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBend View Post
I grew up living in Battle Bend Springs. To my knowledge it has not changed more than the trees are all taller and most of the people that i knew are gone. It was a close community. Once a year there is was a picnic for all residents. We even had a directory of all the people who lived in the neighborhood. The directory listed all the kids that mowed lawns or babysat and that kind of thing.

There is a creek near by where the picnics where held and that my friend is where my memories take me. I will never forget my countless times and experiences playing so many different pretend games down there. I and my older brother would play fight like it was the medieval times where we would toss spears across the well travel fields at one another. We never hurt each other. When I got into my early teen’s I would pretend to be in Vietnam and hide from the enemy and then at times just stair up into the beautify clear blue Texas sky and day dream for hours. It was an awesome time and will be for ever.

Well, I can only hope now that some of that sprite still remains but I would go there and check it out. I lived on Fort Clark on the corner. Yes, i did.
Wow. I thought this thread was long dead.
The neighborhood still has all the things you mentioned...community picnics, directory of residents (and what kind of odd jobs they of their kids will do).
I'm new so I can't say how different it is, and I haven't been toio active in the neighborhood community myself. I bet it was a wonderful place to grow up. The creek is an unknown gem of Austin in my opinion.
Btw, I walk my dogs by your old house daily.

P.S. I just noticed that the title to my thread is followed by:
"(suburban, trendy)". Funny..I didn't think the neighborhood was really either of those things.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:23 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,973,903 times
Hey, I used to live on Fort Clark also. I had a condo at the end of Fort Clark drive.

Battlebend is a gem of a neighborhood. I still miss it because I liked being able to ride my bike to Hill's Cafe and have a chicken fried steak. Plus, I worked downtown and I love to look at Congress Avenue in the morning.

Ahh, but now I live in Texas Oaks.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:41 PM

147 posts, read 572,506 times
I grew up in the neighborhood right next to Battle Bend. I lived on Old Castle.

I remember that creek very well. We had a tree fort just on the other side of the creek.

I remember walking to Hills Cafe. It's open again. It still has some of that old Austin flavor.

The neighborhood looks like it's next in line for gentrification. The SoCo phenomenon is moving that direction.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:43 PM

147 posts, read 572,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeAustinite View Post
I grew up in the neighborhood right next to Battle Bend. I lived on Old Castle.

I remember that creek very well. We had a tree fort just on the other side of the creek.

I remember walking to Hills Cafe. It's open again. It still has some of that old Austin flavor.

The neighborhood looks like it's next in line for gentrification. The SoCo phenomenon is moving that direction.
PS. My parents paid $17,500 for that house.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post

Battlebend is a gem of a neighborhood.
Gem is the word.

It's very nice to see some love for my neighborhood (outside of the people who currently live there - they've even made a bumper sticker that reads: I "heart" Battle Bend Springs)
I figured that someone out there would know it.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeAustinite View Post
PS. My parents paid $17,500 for that house.
Heh! The asking price for the last house that went up for sale: 225K.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,999 times
Default Tea Parties in Battle Bend Springs

Well, its been a while since the "Does anybody know about Battle Bend Springs?" thread, but on my Google search for my neighborhood I found it.

That creek that someone wrote about... where brothers had make believe sword fights and crawled through the grasses like soldiers... is still alive and well and still lovely.

Pretty much on a daily basis, my little girls are chasing butterflies under the giant trees and inviting them to their tea parties.

We feel so lucky to have found this GEM in South Austin!

There's a house for sale at the moment on Battle Bend Blvd. Snatch it up!

Old 10-13-2007, 10:43 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,290,459 times
I love that area and the location is fantastic. I saw that they built some newer houses there pretty recently.

I say go for it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: