Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,093 times

Advertisements

Hi all -- I was recently accepted to a PhD program at UT Austin and am considering moving. I was wondering which neighborhoods are within commuting distance to UT Austin (preferably by public transit in under 40 minutes) that wouldn't require that my girlfriend and I own more than one car? We're in our late 20s, and would probably like to live in a neighborhood where bars, restaurants, and grocery stores are supermarkets are within walking distance (if possible). We're coming from NY and Chicago, so a more "urban" feel might be preferable, but we wouldn't necessarily mind living in a house. Our budget would be $1,200/mo. or less. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 10:53 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,017,348 times
You could do it from South Congress/Travis Heights/Bouldin.

Hyde Park and Rosedale too, as well as Clarksville. Also central east Austin, look along Manor Road. That's where I lived 20 years ago when I was a first-year grad student, very close to UT, cheap, and its a much cooler place now that it was then.

It is very easy to live as student couple here with one car. We did it for years and years. Didn't add a second car until we had a second child.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:17 AM

3,202 posts, read 5,982,650 times
I'll agree with CA. There are a good amount of crosstown bus routes up Lamar, First, and Congress that can get you north of the Capitol. South Austin will be a more adult environment rather than living around the UT campus with the frat house demographic.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:16 PM

228 posts, read 534,343 times
As someone who was in your exact situation (PhD student, couple sharing a car) I echo the Bouldin/south First recommendation. It's a good location, quiet, and there are many apartments within your budget. There are some local restaurants and shops along First, and it's a short bus ride, bike ride or drive to lots of bars and restaurants in downtown, South Congress, and on south Lamar.

There are a couple of good bus routes that go from First up through campus. My old commute to UT from my apartment near First and Barton Springs was about 30 minutes from my doorstep to campus.

Central east Austin, Clarksville, Hyde Park, and South Congress are also great recommendations. I would recommend staying away from the neighborhoods both west and immediately north of the UT campus which are predominately undergraduate student areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: