Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 06:25 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisch View Post
I always love being referred to as "ma'am" or something similar.
When I taught at the U of Texas, even though I was only a student teacher, most of the students called me "Mr. Hunt" or "sir" even after I told them I was informal and they could use my first name. At first it startled me but after a while I thought it was very charming.

The college students here were MUCH more polite than those in California.

Most of what I like here has been covered already --- the weather, the friendliness, the laid-back attitude... I love the inner-city neighborhoods with tree-lined streets and beautiful old houses. I've grown to love the limestone cliffs and creeks, though I didn't like that at first. I love the trees in general and the feeling of intense connection to nature here. It's easy to completely ignore all this and live in a car and air-conditioned spaces, but I love the outdoor cafes and the hiking trails and swimming holes along the creeks and the gorgeous trees.

And I love the fact that nature is constantly invading human spaces. People complain about the scorpions, fire ants, mosquitoes, giant cockroaches and so on, but those are all part of why I love this place. It's so REAL. It makes me feel more alive.

The number one thing I like here above and beyond California is the sky. Most of the time California has no sky. It's so plain. Here, the sky is extremely dynamic and deep. It's so powerful, it inspires awe in me. And I love the air, even on a day like today when the heat index was 100 because of high humidity, the air smelled so sweet and earthy and there was a nice tropical breeze (very common most of the summer.) I wouldn't want to be a roofer or jackhammer operator here, but if you can get outdoors in controlled doses, it's really not bad at all. It's a refreshing change from "fog in the morning burning off to hazy afternoon sunshine with a high of 78." Yawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 10:15 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,805 times
Harvester: Ha! You must have been in So Cal near the beach! I KNOW that forcast oh so well.

Although my family complains we have already taught our kids to use yes ma'am and yes sir. Usually, it applies to mom and dad because EVERYONE else says don't call me that. It's annoying. To us it is a matter of respect. To other's it's too formal...I guess. My mom thinks we are trying to "rule over" or "devalue" the kids when all we want is for them to honor us and respect us as their parents...as it should be! We love them and respect them in return. Sheesh! That's California for you.

Did I mention I can't get to Texas fast enough?

Old 06-19-2007, 11:06 PM

289 posts, read 1,138,645 times
Yep, that forecast sounds mighty familiar to a San Diego girl. Except substitute "marine layer" for fog. If I never hear another forecast saying "June gloom" or "marine layer burning off around mid-morning" I'll be a happy girl.

My idea of heaven would be San Diego with it's ocean and galleries and harbor but with Austin weather, Texas skies, and, um, Texans.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:24 PM

979 posts, read 2,955,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashina View Post
My idea of heaven would be San Diego with it's ocean and galleries and harbor but with Austin weather, Texas skies, and, um, Texans.
Hmmmm... Personally, the first thing I'd take from San Diego and move to Austin is the weather. The ocean would be second.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
Harvester: Ha! You must have been in So Cal near the beach! I KNOW that forcast oh so well.
My first 20 years of life were spent in Santa Barbara. No complaints, it was wonderful. But I needed a change and moved to Sonoma County, where the weather was a lot more interesting. Then I moved to Texas and the rest is history. Now Sonoma County and Santa Barbara seem almost the same to me. Except it's colder and rainier in NoCal during winter. (p.s. --- who are you jazzed for, and why???)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
Hmmmm... Personally, the first thing I'd take from San Diego and move to Austin is the weather. The ocean would be second.
Hmmmm... Personally, the first thing I'd take from Austin and move to San Diego is YOU!!

Just kidding. But seriously, San Diego weather is a snore fest. Same forecast 300 days a year, with the other 65 days being slightly warmer, cooler, or wetter. Today I woke up at 6 AM to an 80 degree sauna (outside), now it's 70 and raining with a refreshing breeze and thunder.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:37 AM

979 posts, read 2,955,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post

Hmmmm... Personally, the first thing I'd take from Austin and move to San Diego is YOU!!
If you move me into an ocean front mansion in La Jolla, I might take you up on that offer!

I just think Californians complaining about San Diego weather and preferring the weather here in Austin is a little crazy.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
If you move me into an ocean front mansion in La Jolla, I might take you up on that offer!
I'd take me up on that La Jolla ocean front move too, even if it were a 500 square foot funky efficiency! I'm not saying it ain't gorgeous out there...
Quote:
I just think Californians complaining about San Diego weather and preferring the weather here in Austin is a little crazy.
Then call me crazy, cuz I'd really miss the deep powerful sky and crazy weather of TX if I moved into that oceanfront property. But I'd survive. Walking along La Jolla's beaches would cure me of any lingering doubts I had about the move.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:02 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
When I was growing up, we were taught to say ma'am and sir, or call people "Miss or Mr. (insert first name here), unless they requested otherwise. I've taugt my daughter the same thing. That is a southern tradition I'd hate to see get pc'd or californicated out.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:28 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
When I was growing up, we were taught to say ma'am and sir, or call people "Miss or Mr. (insert first name here), unless they requested otherwise. I've taugt my daughter the same thing. That is a southern tradition I'd hate to see get pc'd or californicated out.
I agree with this Love Roses! We have taught our kids the same thing...if someone doesn't want you to address them that way then the respectful thing is to do as requested. The problem is that we (mom and dad) are the only ones who want it! Sigh, makes us look like mean ole mom and dad I think, but it will be nice to be where others are doing the same!

Marine layer buring off to afternoon sunshine is the usual forcast for all So Cal towns near the beach. I've lived in Manhattan Beach, Hermosa...all the way down to Long Beach and everywhere inbetween. The beach is nice when it's hot but most of the time it's foggy. I hated the fog. It was actually nicer inland because it was warm there! Everyone thought I was lucky to be able to walk down to the Hermosa pier but most of the time it was cold so it wasn't the ideal situation in reality.

I have a feeling that religious topics are off topic here but since you asked: Jazzedforhim means I am Jazzed for Jesus! Why? Because he loves me enough to die for me!

p.s. Did I mention that I can't get to Texas fast enough?

Old 06-20-2007, 02:28 PM

701 posts, read 2,482,264 times
Thing is, when I ask my kids to address adults politely with title and last name, the adult usually turns it around and just says to use their first name. I gave up trying after a while. It was hard for me to get used to the California way of addressing your older relatives by their first name only. I'd have gotten serious trouble over that if I ever tried it at home.

I do not like the June gloom we have here in So. Calif. Ironically, we are not getting as much of it as last year or the 3-4 years before last. My kids and I didn't really get to enjoy the lake until August when it finally did get warm and then school started shortly after.

The clouds: those are something to look forward to. When there's little or nothing in the dessert air, you never really "get" how big the sky is. When you have towers of clouds it seems so much bigger and more dramatic. Do the clouds turn red at sunset? That would be something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin