U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 10:28 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,595,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisch View Post
When you have towers of clouds it seems so much bigger and more dramatic. Do the clouds turn red at sunset? That would be something.
The sky is often gorgeous here but we don't have the colored sunsets like you find in northern New Mexico or Arizona at certain times of the year. It all depends on sun angles and such, and sometimes it's truly glorious but I'd say the colors are usually pastels and not brilliant like red or purple.

Florida had a more beautiful sky for colors when I've been there. More tropical, but the sky seems closer there, not as big as it is in the midwest, plains and interior west states. We get a kind of mix of Montana's "big sky" look plus a bit of Florida's tropical look. Hopefully that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 02:45 PM

654 posts, read 1,644,717 times
Not really. When we visited the sky was just blah since there was no "real" weather happening. But that's ok...we'll find out what you mean in a few days.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:06 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,595,031 times
In a few days you might not see much sky if the weather forecast is correct. A tropical wave is expected to arrive late Monday or Tuesday and bring us quite a bit of rain, though there's a lot of uncertainty about predicting the path of such things. Could be exciting if it organizes into a tropical storm, could be a dud if it fizzles out or changes direction.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:44 PM

77 posts, read 301,179 times
Default The Southern Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisch View Post
Thing is, when I ask my kids to address adults politely with title and last name, the adult usually turns it around and just says to use their first name. I gave up trying after a while. It was hard for me to get used to the California way of addressing your older relatives by their first name only. I'd have gotten serious trouble over that if I ever tried it at home.
I grew up calling older relatives, next door neighbors, and anyone except teachers "Miss Susan" or "Mr. Jimmy" -- if there was a particular bond, then they became "Aunt Susan" and "Uncle Jimmy." Still occurs here in NOLA and no one takes offense. Teachers were "Miss Jones" or "Mr. Smith."

I do occasionally have to remind the young law clerks in my firm that they should use my surname and not call me "Miss Given Name" in a business setting -- but, hey, otherwise I'll take all the respect I can get! I've earned every one of my silver hairs.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 06-22-2007 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 06-22-2007, 04:38 PM

8,629 posts, read 15,990,422 times
That's too funny

Old 06-22-2007, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,440 times
Talking Ok, I'm sold

You guys are so polite and welcoming ..... "ya'll" sold me... that's it, I"m moving to Texas....

Old 06-22-2007, 05:29 PM

1,587 posts, read 2,680,518 times
Have I ever mentioned that I can't get there fast enough?

Old 06-22-2007, 05:42 PM

445 posts, read 1,102,125 times
I am interested in Georgetown, i posted my first blurb....But i like what i hear about the manners and so on, i think here in California, people are not teaching their kids a common please and thank you?? It is common courtesy, and i can't tell you how many times grown men have let the door close in my face!! I have high hopes that there are other parts, where it is actually a place you want to call home!

Old 06-22-2007, 05:53 PM

8,241 posts, read 10,272,055 times
I have lived in Texas a looong time, and quite honestly I don't see all the universal politeness you all mention- at least not more than I see when I lived in DC or even when I visit NYC!

Old 06-22-2007, 05:59 PM

1,587 posts, read 2,680,518 times
I think what happens is you get used to it. I mean, I wouldn't say that people were jumping in front of me to hold the door open...or that everytime I turned around people were jumping up and down to be kind to me but I will say that many more times then not a simple thank you or excuse me ma'am goes a long way when you are not used to it. We found that even the children were more friendly and eager to play together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin