Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 12:44 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,774,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJB817 View Post
Try Austin Stone Works at 1-35 and Howard Ln. I don't know how they'll come out pricewise VS your builder, but they'll certainly have the selection you're looking for.
I second this. They were great, in every respect. Material, installation, response to questions later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 12:49 PM

5,844 posts, read 11,832,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayanh View Post
but it said marble is more difficult to maintain than granite, right? I guess it will be more expensive too, or the builders will use marble instead of granite in the kitchen and cultured marble in the bathroom.

most likely, I will just stay with current....
I put cultured marble in both baths when we built in 1994. I would not use it again. It's definitely hard to maintain - looks OK at first but it doesn't wear well.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:38 PM

288 posts, read 807,520 times
If you call to set up an appointment at Austin Stone Works, talk to Chyrel (pronounced Sheryl). Super lady. Tell her you got the referral from Brad the tile guy.

I wouldn't recommend real marble for a kitchen countertop. It's much softer than granite and therefore more easily damages.

As mentioned, cultured marble is an entirely man made product that is basically glorified plastic. Pretty much that's your builder grade vanity top of choice for bathrooms.

Solid surfaces like Zodiaq and Cambria are great, durable choices too. You won't get quite the color variations you do with real granite, but virtually bulletproof.

Good luck!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:45 AM

31,285 posts, read 20,618,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayanh View Post
My builder doesn't provide enough selections of granite color and texture at reasonable price. Even the choices of edge are limited to square or round. I just heard there are many outside stores who will have many selections and will install the countertop for you at a much better price than the builders.

I will mainly need 3 granite countertops, one with a cook-top and one with a double sink. For simplicity, I just replace the cooktop and sink with the granite, three of them will be 2604+700+3920.

Can anyone recommend a nice shop so that I can get an estimate?
Just one suggestion: When you call around to get prices (there are many retail outlets including Home Depot and Lowes) be sure to ask the thickness. Some are 3/4" and others are 1 1/4 ". There is a huge difference.

Granite is a wonderful choice and comes in dozens of colors and several edge patterns. We've had ours for seven years and maintenance is a dream. It looks perfect now just like when it was installed. We used Granite Mountain in Marble Falls. It's worth the drive to see their huge selection.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:48 AM

5,844 posts, read 11,832,516 times
Just another note - my personal observation about the Big Box stores is that their "low end" prices were higher than the actual granite dealers and the quality of the product was not nearly as nice. In other words, you're going to get a much better quality and price if you go with one of the local businesses.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:38 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,982,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Just another note - my personal observation about the Big Box stores is that their "low end" prices were higher than the actual granite dealers and the quality of the product was not nearly as nice. In other words, you're going to get a much better quality and price if you go with one of the local businesses.
All the big box retailers use a local supplier/installer. Just go ask a nearby Lowes/Home Depot who they use. You can then contact them directly and save 10-20%.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:35 PM

308 posts, read 1,463,837 times
Thank you all for your valuable input! I finally decided to get a basic one and replace it with a better looking one.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:10 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,967,534 times
TexBest (on the southwest corner of Braker and Burnet, next to the import auto shop) does granite countertops. Glades is the owner, and although I've not used them for countertops, they're in my house RIGHT NOW doing a ton of stone installation. I have been nothing but impressed with them from the first contact, to the bid, to their promptness, and now the work they do. Give her a call at 512-299-6718 and tell her Celeste sent you! I've sent her a couple of customers and they've all used her. I was talking with her just yesterday about installing granite in my guest bath, and the price she gave me was amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin