Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:31 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
If your plates and lisence agree and are both valid, how would they know that you aren't just a visitor?
Because they always ask, "Is this your current address?" Do you want to lie? Do you really want to move to a new area/state with car insurance that's not up to date? Different states cover different things within their coverage areas. And if you update your car insurance, how is that going to match your license and plates, if pulled over? None of this matters if you don't get pulled over, but if you do, you can get stuck in a lot of fast talkin' lies that will probably catch up to you. If you show up to court to fight the ticket, is the judge going to ask if you flew/drove into town just for the ticket? "No sir, I actually live right down the street..." that's not going to fly very well is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 12:10 PM

63 posts, read 273,547 times
I hope nobody minds me asking a question in this thread instead of making new one, as its somewhat similar. I may be moving to Texas and have been researching DPS website about driver license. My biggest concern is the new law regarding 18-24 year olds having to complete a driver education course.
I can't seem to figure out if the new law applys to already licensed people moving into the state, or if its just for people who have never been licensed before. I always thought that if you are over 18 and have a valid license then you don't have to complete anything other than a vision test when transferring from out of state.

Does anyone know more about this?

Old 06-23-2010, 06:21 PM

35 posts, read 150,836 times
I've finally found something New Jersey does better than Texas. We got our license, registration and inspection all in one afternoon at one location. The only different stop was at our insurance agent office.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:31 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Not that one wants to 'flash' it around, but a Texas CHL is quite useful when a picture ID (or a second ID) is needed. A good bit more complicated than obtaining a DL and requires a period of Texas residency; but, certainly worth having if handguns are a part of your life. Texas recognizes a handgun license from many other states and I would expect that document to be acceptable as ID in many cases. Just a thought.
Hmmm,
I am guessing this requires a test.
But if it is only a written test, I am good at those.
(Too bad driving requires both a written and hands-on test ).

Old 06-23-2010, 07:29 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Because they always ask, "Is this your current address?" Do you want to lie? Do you really want to move to a new area/state with car insurance that's not up to date? Different states cover different things within their coverage areas. And if you update your car insurance, how is that going to match your license and plates, if pulled over? None of this matters if you don't get pulled over, but if you do, you can get stuck in a lot of fast talkin' lies that will probably catch up to you. If you show up to court to fight the ticket, is the judge going to ask if you flew/drove into town just for the ticket? "No sir, I actually live right down the street..." that's not going to fly very well is it?
Now insurance is registrered witrh DPS and when runing either it will come back showing the other License and coverage. With the new readers they don't even have to call it in;its automatic when they pass you.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:27 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
And if you update your car insurance, how is that going to match your license and plates, if pulled over?
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Now insurance is registrered witrh DPS and when runing either it will come back showing the other License and coverage. With the new readers they don't even have to call it in;its automatic when they pass you.
OK, this answers my question. Of course, we will need to update the insurance as soon as the move is complete, and that will need to be followed shortly by the tags and license. Just wanted to know how the system works. Thanks

Old 06-24-2010, 09:21 AM

30 posts, read 161,413 times
Default Just FYI

My husband just went to get his license and was denied. He has a valid MN driver's license and a SS card and numerous official documents with his name on them. However, they will only accept an official birth certificate or a passport.
Just a heads up to anyone out there. I'm not sure why they will not accept the MN license and SS card as "enough" proof of identity, but they won't and it's no use arguing with them. Sadly, this could all take a long time.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:54 AM

30 posts, read 161,413 times
Default One Last Update

Got my license today. Walked out with a temp license that has my photo on it. It's just 2 pieces of paper, but better than no photo ID at all (unless you count that the photo is really awful lol).

Old 06-25-2010, 10:48 AM

653 posts, read 1,794,593 times
So the temp licence does have a photo, and does work as a proper id for those things that require a photo id.
(So now I am more willing to turn in my Oregon ID, to get a Texas ID.)

Old 06-25-2010, 03:39 PM

23 posts, read 89,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
I hate to be dishonest or lie (especially in cases where doing such could be in violation of the law); but I am very tempted to just "lose" my Oregon ID, before going to get myself a Texas ID.
One could do that, but then you're back to having to take a written and road test to get your new TX license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin