Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 07:20 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,026,883 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any idea how much TX registration costs and the TX vehicle inspection?
My g/f lost her New Mexico ID and we need to get a TX ID anyways but from what I read its a long process, I have a feeling its going to be a little expensive so we might have to put it off as long as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 11:22 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Does anyone have any idea how much TX registration costs and the TX vehicle inspection?
My g/f lost her New Mexico ID and we need to get a TX ID anyways but from what I read its a long process, I have a feeling its going to be a little expensive so we might have to put it off as long as possible.
Registration is like $50-70, depending on the vehicle. Inspection is about $20. Overall not very expensive.

BTW, anyone else notice we have a DMV now? We used to just have the DPS and TxDOT, the term "DMV" always seemed so "California" to me... but since November, guess what:

Texas Department of Motor Vehicles

Old 07-21-2010, 11:59 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Registration is like $50-70, depending on the vehicle. Inspection is about $20. Overall not very expensive.

BTW, anyone else notice we have a DMV now? We used to just have the DPS and TxDOT, the term "DMV" always seemed so "California" to me... but since November, guess what:

$28.75 for emission/safety testing at Arbor Lube and Wash BUT it includes a free car wash worth about $18...takes a bit of the sting out of the 'stickering' process.

Can't say I've ever heard a good thing about any DMV(that's what we had in my last two states). I'm guessing Texas won't be any different. Our new resident process at DPS a couple of years ago wasn't TOO bad(but we brought passports, birth certs, etc to the party). Changing/adding the name probably was just to keep us on our toes .(OR was it a Cali-transplant conspiracy?) NEXT thing you know, we'll have a Trader Joe's!

Old 07-21-2010, 05:11 PM

515 posts, read 1,396,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post

Your second year registration will be about 50-70 dollars, but first year registration as a new resident to TX cost us 196.00 per car. It's a one time fee and next year it will 58.00 for each of our cars.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:10 PM

111 posts, read 295,379 times
I'm coming down next month. Can I just bring my passport into your DMV and say I lost my IL license?

Passport
Vehicle Title with IL registration
Proof of IL insurance

Anything wrong with that package of info?

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2010, 10:40 AM

151 posts, read 348,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerksticks View Post
I'm coming down next month. Can I just bring my passport into your DMV and say I lost my IL license?

Passport
Vehicle Title with IL registration
Proof of IL insurance

Anything wrong with that package of info?

Thanks!
If you can't supply a current out-of-state license you'll have to jump through more hoops, as in passing the written exam and the driving exam. You'll need to register your car(s) in Texas first in any case. Check here:
Texas Department of Public Safety - Apply for Driver License/ID card

Old 07-31-2010, 12:51 PM

30 posts, read 161,399 times
OP here.
I got my new TX driver's license in the mail after just over two weeks. It was really not that big of a deal to go without an official plastic card during that time. I never needed it.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:39 PM

109 posts, read 330,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAsABirdNow View Post
Do I need to take any kind of written exam? I'm in the process of looking over the scintillating 111 page PDF from the Texas Department of Safety and would rather be doing just about anything else. If I don't need to take an exam, then reading this stuff is merely a form of self torture.

Also, I know to bring my MN driver's license and SS card, but do I need anything else like a birth certificate or a utility bill to prove residency? I would think otherwise you could tell them you live just about anywhere.
Hey there! I had a similar situation 1 week ago when moved to Austin. Having my Puerto Rico license valid till 2015, went to de DPS to switch it as I've known other people do. Just to switch it for a TX driver's license. When my turn came, the man told me I had to take both exams, the written and the practical one. I said: "My sister and other people I know, came here a few yrs ago and just switched their license. Besides that, Puerto
Rico is US territory. Why should I take those tests?" He just said: "Texas has no agreement with Puerto Rico. You have to take them." I took the handbook, left and gave it some thought and decided to go back there and speak with a supervisor, who happened to be a very nice and professional person who just asked me after I explained to him: "Is your PR license valid? Then why did he do that?." He told the guy to give me my TX license right away. I felt a little uncomfortable but at least he apologized to me and Im waiting for my license to arrive on the mail. please wait 2 seconds for an uncompressed image, or press Ctrl+F5 for original quality page

As for the documents you'll need. SS card, passport and your current drivers license.

Well, I think this helps. Good luck!please wait 2 seconds for an uncompressed image, or press Ctrl+F5 for original quality page

Old 08-18-2010, 10:37 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribbeanppl View Post
Hey there! I had a similar situation 1 week ago when moved to Austin. Having my Puerto Rico license valid till 2015, went to de DPS to switch it as I've known other people do. Just to switch it for a TX driver's license. When my turn came, the man told me I had to take both exams, the written and the practical one. I said: "My sister and other people I know, came here a few yrs ago and just switched their license. Besides that, Puerto
Rico is US territory. Why should I take those tests?" He just said: "Texas has no agreement with Puerto Rico
Based on the little bit I was on the road in PR(airport to Rio Mar resort and back + one trip to El Yunque), you should be aware that the PO-lice around here take their traffic control devices seriously(even IF many drivers don't ). Red lights in PR seemed to be just a 'suggestion', especially to the bus drivers . Welcome to Texas!

Old 08-28-2010, 12:01 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
My husband registered his car yesterday (after moving from California), and was told that he had the option of also transferring the title from California to Texas. He asked about the advantages or disadvantages of doing so, and was told that it would be easier to replace a lost title if the car was titled in Texas - the agent stated that he would need to return to California in order to replace a lost California title (this isn't true).

My husband then asked if it would be more difficult to sell the car in the future if it has a California title, and the agent said it wouldn't make any difference. Since the agent seemed to be pushing pretty hard for my husband to surrender the California title, and since my husband could see no obvious advantage to doing so, he opted to keep the California title. Any thoughts on this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin