U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 10:56 AM

551 posts, read 870,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yam View Post
A tornado shelter? What an interesting idea. I like it. I wonder if the structure or finish of the pool would be damaged by leaving it empty for an extended period?

I'm going a bit off topic here, but the reasons I don't want a pool are.... time and cost of maintenance, danger to kids (including my own), liability, resource usage, and the desire to have a usable backyard. The property of interest is about a ten minute walk from a beautiful natural spring fed pool so there would still be easy access to summer splashing around even if the pool was removed.
How would you keep it empty?
Does it have a good drain (or does water have to be pumped out)?

I thought about all of this, when I considered the house with the pool.
I was concerned about rain filling it up, and then scum growing in it.

you could make a giant sand box for the kids to play in (I would have loved that as a kid).
But without good drainage, that might also turn into a mess. But with good drainage, it could also create a soft area to place a swing set on top of.
Maybe fill it with those balls (oh yea, those are plastic, plastic is bad .)

Empty, I would worry more about the kids falling in it empty, than with water in it (well I guess if they can't swim, and are shorter than the pool depth, either one can be just as deadly.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 12:17 PM
yam yam started this thread

221 posts, read 479,516 times
Actually I was thinking more along the lines of a cave, with a reinforced ceiling and a foot of fill dirt overhead so I could have my yard back. I had presumed that the existing drain would be enough to keep water from accumulating. But after a bit more thought, it seems like the only realistic solutions are to remove it entirely or keep it intact.

Surely someone is this city has removed a pool before. C'mon folks, speak up!

Old 06-24-2010, 12:24 PM

860 posts, read 1,529,020 times
My dad had our pool filled in back in I want to say 1999 or 2000 in Sugar Land, TX and according to him the cost was between $2000-3000. I called and asked him as I was reading this thread.

The contractor had a back hoe rented for a weekend, they temporarily took down the side fence (they live on a corner lot which made it a lot easier), and had like 6 to 8 dumptrucks come in with the dirt on a Saturday morning. I remember the line of dumptrucks waiting by my parents' house as if it were yesterday. (Not something you see too often in a fairly, decent surburban residential neighborhood).

Old 06-24-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yam View Post
Actually I was thinking more along the lines of a cave, with a reinforced ceiling and a foot of fill dirt overhead so I could have my yard back. I had presumed that the existing drain would be enough to keep water from accumulating. But after a bit more thought, it seems like the only realistic solutions are to remove it entirely or keep it intact.

Surely someone is this city has removed a pool before. C'mon folks, speak up!
Do the cave, and let the kids use it for a sort of play house when not using it for a storm shelter.
You could do it so water doesn't get into it.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:22 PM

Yeah, the whole purpose of the cave would be for the kids, but can it be built safely? Would the yard above actually be usable for gardens and playscapes? And how in the heck would one handle the city code compliance or resale issues?

Thanks Alpha. I've read about three ways of removing a pool. 1, remove it entirely. 2, knock out the top two feet and punch holes in the bottom and fill. 3, just punch holes in the bottom and fill. Not sure why the existing drain isn't good enough in these cases. It sounds like the cost is driven largely by the ease of access for heavy equipment. In my case, there is not access so it would probably be more expensive.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:54 PM

Here's an interesting link I found: Erik's Swimming Pool to Koi Pond Conversion I don't think most people would be willing to undertake such a project, but it certainly looks like a nice end result.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:26 AM

He didn't start with a concrete type pool.
I am assuming that is what you are dealing with?

But yea, that is very very cool.
But still not as much fun as a cave playhouse/storm shelter combination.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:39 AM

434 posts, read 723,582 times
This is Austin, turn it into a recording studio and you're set!

Old 06-26-2010, 11:38 AM

14,318 posts, read 20,118,943 times
If you publicize it right and stock a few old dead grenades and rifles in it, the City will come along and fill it in for you.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:21 PM

8,241 posts, read 10,281,843 times
I adore my pool and my kids and I use it thoroughly most of the year, but....I have heard of turning it into a cistern for water: Converting a Swimming Pool to a Rainwater Tank*|*The Rainwater Observer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin