Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 04:09 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,419 times

Advertisements

Apparently 95-96f is my limit. Today I was miserable, and I have no doubt theres about two months of this left.

Time to crawl into my shell and try to survive this heat without getting too grumpy.

How is everyone else coping? Some part lizard folks out there apparently seem to like this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 04:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
I work during the week but on the weekends I'm up and out by 7am then chill indoors 11-6pm and then out again til dark. I find it hot but not unbearable..not quite yet.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:50 PM

653 posts, read 1,793,881 times
I was going to get up early, so I could go shopping before it got too hot. But I failed (as I did yesterday).
Eventually the need for basic things like food, will either get me up before the intense heat, or get me to go out and tolerate it.

I am glad I live so close to work (and will soon be moving even closer).

Old 06-27-2010, 05:14 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Yeah I hear you. At the risk of sounding like a whiny transplant, my limit is 90 with humidity. As we speak, I'd rather be out with my 4 year old bike riding, but it's just too hot! I get sunburned easily now..my daughter wouldn't stand a chance since she is fairer skinned.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:24 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,419 times
About 20+ years of living here has raised my tolerance from about 85 to 95. You gain about a .5 degree tolerance every summer you survive here.
I see some third generation Texans who honestly love the stuff like today. I am jealous of those people.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:54 PM

392 posts, read 749,117 times
It's been around 100 here in Louisiana for the past month, PLUS our typical insane humidity, and I've been out playing baseball, sometimes doubleheaders, in the crap. I don't enjoy it, but I've gotten to where it doesn't bother me as much. I'm vying for a job in Austin right now, so it looks like all I'll end up with is a milder winter over there. Unfortunately, I love winter, so I'll miss what little snow we usually get in La Louisiane!

Don't burn up, orbius! Stay strong!

Old 06-27-2010, 06:02 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Apparently 95-96f is my limit. Today I was miserable, and I have no doubt theres about two months of this left.

Time to crawl into my shell and try to survive this heat without getting too grumpy.

How is everyone else coping? Some part lizard folks out there apparently seem to like this stuff.
I envy you. You're near cool water at least! For me, the more time spent at Barton Springs, Hamilton or Deep Eddy pools in the summer, the happier I was in Austin. Also, outings to Hill Country rivers and creeks for tubing or canoeing/kayaking with friends was always a good time. Stay near water and don't hunker down and isolate yourself--that's when you start to get antsy.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:22 PM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,320 times
Ya'll a buncha wimps The coldest I've lived in (that's lived in, not just visited) was -40F. Austin is by far the hottest I've lived (and the furthest south) and I'm ok with the heat. When I was a tad bit younger I would frequently plan activities to start at around 3:00 to make sure I caught the hottest part of the day. It was a good exercise in building mental toughness (not to mention physical) and it also makes you not all that put off by the heat. AAMOF, really the biggest downsides to the heat is not the heat itself, but the aftereffects caused by sweating! Do the wrong activity at the wrong time and you can have an office load of folks not wanting to get too close to you

Really it's just a state of mind. Ever since I've moved to Austin I always thought that one of the reasons why Austinites think it's so hot is because they have their AC's going full blast so the temp. differential compared to outside is huge. I'm trying to toughen up the kiddos, or at least make the heat a non-excuse for not wanting to do activities outside. The mosquitoes are a bigger PITA there.

BTW, even though I've lived in -40F, probably the coldest that I've been active is about -20F (hunting, hiking, snow mobiling). At -40F, you really do have to be pretty careful about what you're doing and how much time you spend outside and what you're wearing. At -20F it's not as bad.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:26 PM

433 posts, read 1,657,287 times
The hotter it gets, the better my ice-cold beer tastes!

Old 06-27-2010, 07:53 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Ya'll a buncha wimps The coldest I've lived in (that's lived in, not just visited) was -40F. Austin is by far the hottest I've lived (and the furthest south) and I'm ok with the heat. When I was a tad bit younger I would frequently plan activities to start at around 3:00 to make sure I caught the hottest part of the day. It was a good exercise in building mental toughness (not to mention physical) and it also makes you not all that put off by the heat. AAMOF, really the biggest downsides to the heat is not the heat itself, but the aftereffects caused by sweating! Do the wrong activity at the wrong time and you can have an office load of folks not wanting to get too close to you

Really it's just a state of mind. Ever since I've moved to Austin I always thought that one of the reasons why Austinites think it's so hot is because they have their AC's going full blast so the temp. differential compared to outside is huge. I'm trying to toughen up the kiddos, or at least make the heat a non-excuse for not wanting to do activities outside. The mosquitoes are a bigger PITA there.

BTW, even though I've lived in -40F, probably the coldest that I've been active is about -20F (hunting, hiking, snow mobiling). At -40F, you really do have to be pretty careful about what you're doing and how much time you spend outside and what you're wearing. At -20F it's not as bad.
Not to get in a p1ssing contest, but I have biked in -80F windchill. We lasted one block. You're right that it's mental. Just like living in extreme cold or rain, you can't let it dictate how you live. That's the key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin