Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 01:48 PM

40 posts, read 155,132 times

Advertisements

hey, guys, still deciding where to move to. I have seen you get the most for your dollar in hutto. How are the schools in hutto? any neightborhoods to avoid there?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 02:33 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
I like Hutto. We live very close to the city. It is a transitional city. It has (like Pflugerville) been a small town for a very long time (and the locals like that just fine). When the population exploded, Hutto grew too, but has somewhat tapered off due to the recession. I'd say Hutto is a place on the rise...trying to transition from a small town to a city. The schools I can't comment on. Love Roses lives there, so she can better comment on it.

People like to dog Hutto, and for that matter, Pflugerville and Round Rock because they aren't "hip" Austin, but what I like about all three is the still country feel to them. Side by side with a mall are ranches and homes on acreage that still have cows in the field.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:39 PM

40 posts, read 155,132 times
nice, thats what we are looking for. something with a small town feel but still some convienacnes. how far outside of hutto is like a target or walmart?

Old 07-05-2010, 02:59 PM

113 posts, read 238,894 times
Hutto is great! You are 5 -10 mins from Lowe's, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Super Target etc.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:10 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,735,213 times
As with most things in life there is a reason it is cheaper than other areas. Commuting costs, including tolls, and low appreciation rates would either make me look to Manor/Pflugerville or alternatively renting in Hutto.

Also anywhere on the east side of IH-35 is susceptible to foundation damage due to the high clay content of the soil. I would try to get some type of reassurance as in a guarantee or in lieu of that have have the soil tested.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:10 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
I agree with all the comments here. Hutto is actually sandwiched between Georgetown, Taylor, Pflugerville and Round Rock. It takes me 5 minutes to get to Walmart, a little over 5 to Super Target and 10 minutes to the hospitals in RR, the outlets, movie theatre, 2 HEB's, Specs...pretty much anything. It usually takes us 20-30 minutes to get into Austin, depending on what part we're going to. The schools were all ranked recognized this past year, except for the High School and one Middle School, which were rated Acceptable. The only neighborhood I'd avoid would be Hutto Parke.

It also never hurts during 4th of July to be able to sit outside your house and watch the Round Rock and Dell Diamond fireworks and not have to fight traffic! If you play golf you are also close to 2 golf courses.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:22 PM

Anywhere East of 35 all the way to the Gulf is susceptible to that. We've been here about 5 yrs. now and haven't had any foundation issues and neither have any of our neighbors. It IS something to ask questions about, definitely, but many of the builders out here have actually been putting in good foundations. Lennar was the one builder (Hutto Parke) that had the problems because of laying shoddy foundations and that's one of the reasons I say stay away from there).

An advantage to the clay soil is that you can grow just about anything out here. The soil is excellent for growing and East of 35 was historically farms and ranches. You don't have to do much raised bed planting.

In time, appreciation will happen. Like others have said, a lot of the towns in Williamson County just recently started growing substantially and there has been a bit of a slowdown. Our neighborhood is very nearly built out however, and so I think in less than 5 years we won't have to worry about that. Toll costs, hmmm....don't really bother us. I work in RR and don't have to take the toll road. My husband takes back ways to work (North Austin). I personally have no complaints about the toll roads. Way less traffic on them than on 35, not to mention they are right here and now I don't have to drive more than 20 minutes to I 35 anymore.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:29 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,543 times
I have personally found Hutto to be a nice little town, even though I tend to fight with every Hutto dweller here on this board.....hmm...

Hutto is small town, and is still in close proximity to Round Rock, which will contain everything you will ever need to find for a happy life. If you aren't the type of person that needs to be "in the thick" of it all, Hutto might be a good fit for you.

Pretty much all the Hutto negatives listed (and there weren't many) is something you will encounter regardless of where you live in Central Texas. So practice due dillegence, but don't make it a deciding factor.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:48 PM

What kind of fun would life be if we didn't have people to fight and/or argue with us? If you didn't argue with me I wouldn't have to think as much before I post something in response to you . I'm learning...

Old 07-05-2010, 09:03 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
As with most things in life there is a reason it is cheaper than other areas. Commuting costs, including tolls, and low appreciation rates would either make me look to Manor/Pflugerville or alternatively renting in Hutto.

Also anywhere on the east side of IH-35 is susceptible to foundation damage due to the high clay content of the soil. I would try to get some type of reassurance as in a guarantee or in lieu of that have have the soil tested.
Sorry, but I've lived here five plus years and have no foundation trouble, and neither have my neighbors who have been here longer.

Also if you're suggesting Manor, then I don't see why not Hutto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin