U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 04:45 AM

12,231 posts, read 9,878,554 times
Default Just how bad are Texas summers?

I know the Texas summers are long, hot and humid, but its hard to get a sense of how it feels from just looking at numbers. What are some reasonable comparisons?

I've experienced humid summers in the mid-west, but its not nearly as hot there as in Texas. I've also experienced summers in the San Fernando Valley and the central valley (Fresno area), where it often gets 100+ degrees but its a dry heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 06:46 AM

4,239 posts, read 7,596,604 times
It depends on where you're talking about. Last year, Austin had 68 days over 100 degrees, and this year, there hasn't been one day over 100 thus far. Last year Dallas had only 3 days over 100 degrees, but they've hit 100 a few times already this year. They're only 3 hours apart and big difference. Houston is just plain nasty and humid, but can't tell you about the actual temps... Out West like in El Paso is more of a dry heat because it's desert.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:05 AM

40 posts, read 123,964 times
Texas summers are horrible!!! They drain your energy and you pray for fall. Ive been in Texas for 30 something years but still love the summers where it struggled to get out of the 80s.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:22 AM

12,290 posts, read 12,013,134 times
Texas summers are hot and long. But humidity levels vary a fair amount. Houston has high humidity all day - because it receives moist air from the Gulf. Somewhat similar weather to New Orleans.

Central Texas is warmer than Houston, but the morning humidity 'burns off' by early afternoon and ends the day in the 40-50% humidity range.

No way would I say it is dry, but I do not think of it as humid. Most of the time in Central Texas we have a breeze - usually ranging from southwest to southeast.

I think of DFW weather as more like central Texas - perhaps slightly hotter.

Today's forecast for Austin is 75-91 and sunny. Close to normal - a bit cooler than average (94).

BTW - I do not think our summers are per se "bad." I like sunny, warm weather. I don't like 100 degree days. I have adapted over the years I have been here. I know that if I am active outside in the heat I need to maintain fluid intake and watch the pace of activity.

Last edited by hoffdano; 07-06-2010 at 08:30 AM..

Old 07-06-2010, 08:50 AM

6,808 posts, read 10,281,958 times
This should probably be asked on the Texas forum, because it does really depend on where in the state you are.

In El Paso/West Texas, your summers are going to be like New Mexico/Arizona. After all, El Paso is closer to San Diego than it is to Houston.

In the panhandle, your summers will be like Colorado or Kansas, since they are only about 50 miles from the border.

In Laredo/Rio Grande Valley, you are basically in Northern Mexico, with summers like they have.

And along the Gulf Coast (Corpus/Houston/Brownsville), it's pretty darn similar to Florida.

San Antonio, Austin, and Dallas are kind of a mix. But bottom line, summers in the south are HOT, it's just pick your poison.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:32 PM

17,700 posts, read 4,919,764 times
It depends on what you are comparing to. Austin is much less humid than Florida and all of the southeast. But it's also much more humid than the west.

I think the worst part about Austin weather is the Summer nights... it never cools off. That's why I prefer the dryer weather out west... cooler nights even when the days are very hot.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:40 PM

63 posts, read 54,299 times
I lived in Pennsylvania, Ohio, South Florida. Summers are hot everywhere.

The summer nights not cooling off are actually a blessing in disguise... you never need to switch wardrobes.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:22 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,392,618 times
This summer is pleasant. The summer two and three years ago were a veritable pain in the posterior. They were tough.

It's nice to see possibly more rain in the next few days.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:43 AM

12,231 posts, read 9,878,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
This should probably be asked on the Texas forum, because it does really depend on where in the state you are.
I should have been more clear, I'm primarily thinking about central Texas so that is why I posted it in the Austin section.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:27 AM

4,545 posts, read 6,459,381 times
Okay, the think about central Texas that differs from up north is first, the length of the summer May through the end of September, sometimes April to October. No kids in Austin have to worry about fitting their Halloween costume over their coats! Ever. Usually the costume is the clothing and parents still worry about over-heating. Second, the heat during the day is very long, it can be 90 degrees at 9 am and 90 degrees at 9 pm! With a peak of say 104 at 5 pm, and a low of 77 at maybe 4 am.

We do not have dry desert air, or incredible humidity like Houston or New Orleans, but it can be humid. Our summers are what winters are in Iowa, Minnesota, the Dakatos. Something to endure and prepare for, some of us do it automatically and don't slow down much, others are paralyzed by the crushing heat, more are in the middle. August is generally the toughest month although early September can be hard too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin