Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 07:36 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,361,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Free roads, take that lie back every gallon of gas every one of us buys incurs a .38c tax that is directly paying for roads in the state.

You don't know what you are talking about. The Texas gas tax is 20 cents a gallon and hasn't been raised since 1993. It would need to be around 30 cents JUST TO ACCOUNT FOR INFLATION. In addition, since vehicles are more fuel efficient today there are more vehicle miles per gallon of gas being driven.

TANSTAFFL. You want non-toll roads, raise the gas tax. If not, don't complain about the tolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 07:51 PM

13,436 posts, read 15,335,598 times
Just thought I'd add, that it isn't the rich who are taking the toll roads. Most often, it's the regular Janes like myself who enjoy the comfort of zipping from point A to B in less congestion and overall better ride. If making people pay keeps the road less congested, then I'm okie dokie willing to allow myself the luxury of 20 bucks a month to take the 45. It's not like TxDOT forces people to take the roads. There are accessible free ones as well, but it's nice to have options. Should there be more free roads? Sure. But they'll end up being bottlenecked like the major ones, so like I said, if paying keeps them clear..viva la 45, 130, 183-A....

If people want to pay for the convenience of managed lanes, then I think that's fine. Will it truly alleviate congestion? Maybe. But again, it's nice that folks have options. There are a lot of middle classers who have a little extra bucks in their wallets to spring for a faster commute.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Maybe there should be a city income tax for those that work in Austin but don't live in the city so that suburbanites have to help support Austin's infrastructure. I believe St Louis does this.
No. That works in say New York City because a) its New York, a major business hub, and suburbanites are mostly upper middle class - affluent. Here in Texas, a lot of the suburbanites are middle classed and a lot of the near in neighborhoods are populated by more affluent people. To tax us would be taxing the middle classed, and I'd be darned if I pay an income tax and a Westlaker pays none simply because they live in town.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:04 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,766,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Public servants "benefiting their friends constructions businesses" what a joke. Where are your facts? Lay them out or ****.

Yes I am very familiar with CAMPO, it is not controlled by COA, get your facts straight.

Ignorance is no excuse for these ridiculous rants.

Austin doesn't have these highway infrastructure features because AUSTIN doesn't want to pay for them. Why should the rest of the state have to pay for your (or my) driving convenience?
Your righteous indignation at the possibility of corruption is amusing. Moderator cut: see comment

Fourth man guilty in TxDOT bribery case | fourth, guilty, txdot - News - TheMonitor.com (http://www.themonitor.com/news/fourth-16138-guilty-txdot.html - broken link)

Txdot claims 'no money to build roads' but spends $20 mil of gas tax money to build park:
San Antonio – Toll Party » Blog Archive » TxDOT spends $20 million in gas taxes to build PARK, not roads!

Txdot has new capacity to pay losing bidders for roads over $250,000. If you need me to point out how this could encourage blatant corruption I can point it out to you if necessary. Also it was proven Txdot was engaging in a propaganda campaign to promote toll roads for their friends in toll road corporations on the public dime. The legislature was forced to step in and stop this blatant misuse of public funds:
Terri Hall (http://voices.mysanantonio.com/mt/mt-search.cgi?IncludeBlogs=116&search=Lois%20Kolkhors t - broken link)

I can go at this all day, Txdot represents all that is wrong with unaccountable unelected government agencies. Now feel free to admit you were wrong Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by Bo; 07-08-2010 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: The two deletions were explained in my Direct Message.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:12 PM

2,238 posts, read 8,983,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
No. That works in say New York City because a) its New York, a major business hub, and suburbanites are mostly upper middle class - affluent. Here in Texas, a lot of the suburbanites are middle classed and a lot of the near in neighborhoods are populated by more affluent people. To tax us would be taxing the middle classed, and I'd be darned if I pay an income tax and a Westlaker pays none simply because they live in town.
A Westlaker would be taxed also. They're not the the Austin city limits.

Regardless, your logic is that you shouldn't have to pay for what you use because of your social class?

Old 07-07-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
A Westlaker would be taxed also. They're not the the Austin city limits.

Regardless, your logic is that you shouldn't have to pay for what you use because of your social class?
Westlake pays City of Austin taxes, so I figured it was in the city of austin. Ok, fine. Pemberton Heights.

I'll pay for what I use as long as others pay for what they use. Most cities that tax suburbanites also have income taxes for residents. In this instance, my social class would be the most impacted. It's all about fair play. If suburbanites are paying income taxes, then so should everyone else. But this is all hypothetical discussion because hell would freeze over before any Texan pays an income tax.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:48 PM

2,238 posts, read 8,983,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
It's all about fair play. If suburbanites are paying income taxes, then so should everyone else. But this is all hypothetical discussion because hell would freeze over before any Texan pays an income tax.
Completely hypothetical but as the trend towards the suburbs completely overwhelming the core city's infrastructure something will eventually have to be done. COA property tax payers won't be able to foot the bill forever for infrastructure used by an increasingly large number of non-COA residents.

One way a city handled it...I think in the Netherlands...was that if you didn't live in the city limits, you couldn't work in the city limits. This actually help with redevelopment of formerly blighted areas since it didn't make sense for development to continue to sprawl outwards.

I imagine nothing will ever happen and in 20 years we'll be like Sao Paulo where the traffic jam to get in the city is in excess of 4 hours in the morning.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:53 PM

653 posts, read 1,787,182 times
Taxing people who work in Austin, but live outside Austin, is not necessarily going to equate fairly to their use of tax funded city services.

The more I read this thread, the more I wonder if we should not have ALL roads be toll roads.
Pay as we go.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Completely hypothetical but as the trend towards the suburbs completely overwhelming the core city's infrastructure something will eventually have to be done. COA property tax payers won't be able to foot the bill forever for infrastructure used by an increasingly large number of non-COA residents.

One way a city handled it...I think in the Netherlands...was that if you didn't live in the city limits, you couldn't work in the city limits. This actually help with redevelopment of formerly blighted areas since it didn't make sense for development to continue to sprawl outwards.

I imagine nothing will ever happen and in 20 years we'll be like Sao Paulo where the traffic jam to get in the city is in excess of 4 hours in the morning.
That is true. Personally I think the suburbs need to step up their efforts in attracting top businesses so that suburbanites are able to work in the suburbs (and thereby not tax the COA infrastructure as much). As it currently stands, the only nearby major non-industrial/retail business near me is Dell. In my line of work, d/t and maybe just south of d/t is the only place to find work. all of the firms that were up north relocated to d/t or barton springs area. There are a number of corporations north of d/t..but a dearth in the true suburbs (i.e. Kyle, Manor, Pflugerville, Georgetown, and any Round Rocker not employed at Dell).

Old 07-07-2010, 08:58 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,249,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Thanks Atxcio. It's good to have some solid info about this. It sounds as if homeowners adjacent to Mopac will benefit.
....sounds more like 'hush money' to me! If I lived in the area between 35th and the lake, I'd be reluctant to take this offer. The cut throughs will be tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin