Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 04:28 PM

41 posts, read 55,033 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 38 year straight male who is a Registered Fitness Clinician/ Strength & Conditioning Coach with 21 years experience in the fitness industry and I am looking to move to a place where the people are friendly and accepting. I currently live in Charlotte & the attitudes here are disturbing (on both sides). Like I said I am not pointing fingers but what some would call "Yankees" (guess thats me) do not get any respect nor do a lot of them give any either.

I am not saying that we all deserve it (to a degree)and I do realize that in some cases respect has to be earned...but with all this B.S., kindness and southern hospitality went out the window here! I am not going to belly ache anymore about my present situation, I just want to move forward and start a new life with some great new people. I want to benefit my community and have people I can call my friends again. I appreciate any help or recommendations or friendly advice (like hows the dating scene,are transplants accepted if they are nice people & hows the Job market etc)you can give regarding a move to Austin! Thanks..

Last edited by NyMet; 07-18-2010 at 05:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 08:21 PM

OK...let me put it this way...I originally come from a place that is very friendly..easy to meet friends and the dating scene is incredible to only move to a place where you say hi and they turn their heads...they look down when you try to engage them in meaningful conversation...very very clicky and you never get call backs from everything from jobs to consultations for business. I would like to know if it is easier for a very upbeat positive young professional to assimilate into society in Austin. Your input would be greatly appreciated..Thanks..Oh and Im not afraid of bats & I am not a Vegan.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:59 PM

O.K. Point taken...Thanks.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:16 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Whoa, let's have none of that ... I'm a Yankee (former?) and have had no problems here.

I'm not sure why you haven't gotten more responses to your post, either. I suspect it's because it is a rather broad and general query... I actually *was* trying to think of anything I could answer with... but couldn't think of anything specific to answer with. Someone with a positive upbeat attitude? Sure, you'll do fine here. Dating scene? I've been married for several years so I can't say. I have several single friends (dunno if that is good or bad), they seem happy. Is it "clicky" in Austin? I've heard people say that, but I think it's much worse back east. There the cliques run deep and span generations. Here (as it is in any of the "boom" cities of Texas) we're full of transplants and everyone is pretty much starting from the same rung.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Don't give up on the forum, though. It can be pretty useful, although it is a fickle beast sometimes.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:22 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyMet View Post
Hello,

I am a 38 year straight male who is a Registered Fitness Clinician/ Strength & Conditioning Coach with 21 years experience in the fitness industry and I am looking to move to a place where the people are friendly and accepting. I currently live in Charlotte & the attitudes here are disturbing (on both sides). Like I said I am not pointing fingers but what some would call "Yankees" (guess thats me) do not get any respect nor do a lot of them give any either.
I'm not sure about the fitness industry in Austin these days, to be honest. I think that it's taken a dive in the recession--that is, if you do personal training. My trainer is still doing quite well, so he tells me, but he's very established. Key to success is living and working in areas where people spend money on fitness--which would be central for the most part.

Single and straight? I would aim for anywhere central, perhaps SoCo or downtown, depending on what you can afford. You will hear people tell you that Round Rock, Cedar Park, Steiner Ranch, Pflugerville, Lakeway, etc., etc., are the best thing since sliced white bread. These places are not in Austin, and they are nothing like Austin. They are Stepford suburbs, some of which are not even incorporated, in entirely different counties, outside of the city limits. I'm telling you this because a lot of people new to Austin get duped into renting something that's advertised in "Central Austin" when it's not central. That nearly happened to a woman I sublet to.

If you want to actually live in Austin proper, pay attention to these zip codes: 78701, 78703, 78704 and 78705. There are a few more adjacent to those zips that you can also scope out, but those areas encompass the parts of the city that have an authentic Austin feel and flavor--and that cater to the single, athletic set. Everything that makes Austin weird, interesting, unique, historical, eclectic and bizarre is in those four zips, including the major parks, springs, lake and natural swimming holes. You will pay more to live in Austin proper. But the extra rent you do pay means you don't spend buckets of money on fuel, toll charges and car upkeep.

I live in Clarksville and have most of my life, BTW. Love it here in Old West Austin.

Welcome to Austin!

Old 07-19-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Whoa, let's have none of that ... I'm a Yankee (former?) and have had no problems here.

I'm not sure why you haven't gotten more responses to your post, either. I suspect it's because it is a rather broad and general query... I actually *was* trying to think of anything I could answer with... but couldn't think of anything specific to answer with. Someone with a positive upbeat attitude? Sure, you'll do fine here. Dating scene? I've been married for several years so I can't say. I have several single friends (dunno if that is good or bad), they seem happy. Is it "clicky" in Austin? I've heard people say that, but I think it's much worse back east. There the cliques run deep and span generations. Here (as it is in any of the "boom" cities of Texas) we're full of transplants and everyone is pretty much starting from the same rung.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Don't give up on the forum, though. It can be pretty useful, although it is a fickle beast sometimes.
Thank you for the reply...much appreciated...was shocked that I had 50 people view this without replying so I took it as the answer..my apologies.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
I'm not sure about the fitness industry in Austin these days, to be honest. I think that it's taken a dive in the recession--that is, if you do personal training. My trainer is still doing quite well, so he tells me, but he's very established. Key to success is living and working in areas where people spend money on fitness--which would be central for the most part.

Single and straight? I would aim for anywhere central, perhaps SoCo or downtown, depending on what you can afford. You will hear people tell you that Round Rock, Cedar Park, Steiner Ranch, Pflugerville, Lakeway, etc., etc., are the best thing since sliced white bread. These places are not in Austin, and they are nothing like Austin. They are Stepford suburbs, some of which are not even incorporated, in entirely different counties, outside of the city limits. I'm telling you this because a lot of people new to Austin get duped into renting something that's advertised in "Central Austin" when it's not central. That nearly happened to a woman I sublet to.

If you want to actually live in Austin proper, pay attention to these zip codes: 78701, 78703, 78704 and 78705. There are a few more adjacent to those zips that you can also scope out, but those areas encompass the parts of the city that have an authentic Austin feel and flavor--and that cater to the single, athletic set. Everything that makes Austin weird, interesting, unique, historical, eclectic and bizarre is in those four zips, including the major parks, springs, lake and natural swimming holes. You will pay more to live in Austin proper. But the extra rent you do pay means you don't spend buckets of money on fuel, toll charges and car upkeep.

I live in Clarksville and have most of my life, BTW. Love it here in Old West Austin.

Welcome to Austin!
Thanks...looking forward to starting a new life! Very excited to move near happy lively people again!

Old 07-19-2010, 01:39 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyMet View Post
Thanks...looking forward to starting a new life! Very excited to move near happy lively people again!
No problem Thank you for being from the NE! We need different bloodlines in Austin. It's been getting rather stagnant lately.

If you have questions about specific gyms, just send me a private message. I don't like propping up one potential employer over another on a public forum. (I'm a local freelance writer, and H&F is one of my areas.)

Old 07-19-2010, 07:15 AM

434 posts, read 1,309,335 times
Austin is a great town and known as one of the healthiest. Could mean lots competition for you though in the H&F industry. Do some research, but there are tons of awesome people here...that's not to say there aren't Debbie Downers because there are. Good luck!

Old 07-19-2010, 07:22 AM

844 posts, read 2,019,477 times
Quote:
O.K. Point taken...Thanks.
Oh yes, I'm sure that the problem is entirely with the people of Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin