Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 12:26 PM

15,237 posts, read 35,431,654 times

Advertisements

Not sure what school(s) that area feeds to, but that is often has a significant impact on property value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 12:39 PM

170 posts, read 822,902 times
Thanks for your opinions guys. I'm also going to look into Bradshaw Crossing to see what's available. Although I'm doing most of my research online from NYC, I've checked out the streets quite extensively on google maps street view, and I keep noticing how nice the streets look, how well-maintained the yards are, and I'm not seeing a lot of junky looking cars in the areas either... I guess I'd have to check it out in person, but the area does really look quite nice.

I've noticed that there's a pool and sports complex on Baythorne that it seems many of the homes have access to, which is a nice perk. Does anyone have an idea what HOA fees would be like for this type of amenity?

Also, what do you think of this train of thought I had: If the homes in this area are being cheaply made with lower-quality materials, I have to wonder how that would affect me as a homeowner versus buying an older home that (in my price range) probably needs quite a bit of work. If I plan to live in the home for ten years (let's say), I'm imagining I'd need to do very little restoration on a home that's just a few years old. If I sell it ten years later it's still less than 15 years old. Maybe the next buyer would need to do some work during the years they live in it... but I probably wouldn't have to. If I bought an older home it might represent a lot higher maintenance costs for me while the home is mine... right?

Any other neighborhoods in other areas of Austin you guys would recommend?

Old 07-20-2010, 12:52 PM

732 posts, read 2,117,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickasarbata View Post
Also, what do you think of this train of thought I had: If the homes in this area are being cheaply made with lower-quality materials, I have to wonder how that would affect me as a homeowner versus buying an older home that (in my price range) probably needs quite a bit of work. If I plan to live in the home for ten years (let's say), I'm imagining I'd need to do very little restoration on a home that's just a few years old. If I sell it ten years later it's still less than 15 years old. Maybe the next buyer would need to do some work during the years they live in it... but I probably wouldn't have to. If I bought an older home it might represent a lot higher maintenance costs for me while the home is mine... right?

Any other neighborhoods in other areas of Austin you guys would recommend?
Honestly, I would say not to get too in depth with plans until you get here and actually get a chance to see each neighborhood in real life. Your perceptions will really change once you are living here and other peoples opinions are nice but online it is hard to tell who they are coming from, if they are even applicable to you. You will find areas here that fit you, but they may not be the same areas that seem appealing looking at them online from 2000 miles away.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:17 PM

3,202 posts, read 5,984,502 times
Quote:
I keep noticing how nice the streets look, how well-maintained the yards are, and I'm not seeing a lot of junky looking cars in the areas either... I guess I'd have to check it out in person, but the area does really look quite nice.
Wow, you weren't kidding - those houses are extremely nice for that pricepoint:
Attached Thumbnails
78747 homes so cheap - why??-ipswich-bay-78747.bmp  

Old 07-20-2010, 02:41 PM

544 posts, read 1,660,281 times
it might be nice to look inside some of those listings too

Old 07-20-2010, 03:22 PM

3,202 posts, read 5,984,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROY DUBOSE View Post
it might be nice to look inside some of those listings too
It looks as though the neighborhood is still under construction, so there should still be an opportunity to select floorplans and finishes. For the best information, a site visit is preferred of course, but considering the OP's location, I would suggest an online tool such as Trulia or Zillow for interior photos.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:29 PM

6,330 posts, read 17,982,821 times
Quote:
I'm specifically looking at a few properties on Alum Rock Dr ...
It's a tougher neighborhood for sales because:

1) KB Homes
2) Lousy schools
3) Weird/Difficult location to get in and out of

They do have an impressive and very nice community pool though. I wouldn't invest in that neighborhood though.

Steve

Old 07-20-2010, 06:16 PM

170 posts, read 822,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
It's a tougher neighborhood for sales because:

1) KB Homes

Steve
Why does this make things tougher? Is that because you have to buy through KB Homes directly? Does that take longer or is it more complicated?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:17 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,696,604 times
Thinking of the East William Cannon corridor there isn't anything worth going out of your way. Restaurants are sub-par, the local HEB (the default grocery store of Texas) is kinda pitiful; its not very scenic, and there are weird neighborhoods that were abandoned due to continual flooding. That area tends to cater to the newly arrived immigrant sector of the population so places like the Autozone and check cashing places are pretty busy.

I guess the proposition could work if you are just looking at the immediate neighborhood and don't care about what you see on your daily drive to IH-35.

On the plus side you are on the edge of development so its easy to get to rural areas.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:09 PM

6,330 posts, read 17,982,821 times
Quote:
Why does this make things tougher? Is that because you have to buy through KB Homes directly? Does that take longer or is it more complicated?
KB Homes has brand value and perceived quality problems, deserved or not, with the consumer. Some won't even consider a KB Home. They still suffer from a perception of poor quality earned years ago. I know they have worked hard to change that perception, but it lives on nevertheless.

For the record, I know people living in KB Homes and have sold some, and the people I know have no complaints.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin