Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 12:49 PM

198 posts, read 498,758 times

Advertisements

If a resident moves into an apartment complex and provides documentation that their pet is a shar pei, but is in fact a male pit bull, what options does a neighboring resident have? The leasing office does not physically verify the information provided by the resident regarding the pet. Pit bulls are on the list of dogs excluded in this apartment complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 01:14 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,031,530 times
Short of a DNA test (can be done), how do you know that the dog is pit?

Have you seen this "pick the pit" challenge? Pit Bull FAQ » Love-A-Bull, Inc. | Austin, TX

It can be harder than you think!

Is the dog dangerous? Is it aggressive? I would worry about the behavior of the dog first and the breed second. Is the dog owner friendly? Can you talk to him?

I used to have a lot preconceptions and misconceptions about pit bulls but I have meet many of them now and have learned a lot. Pit bulls and pit mixes can be the sweetest dogs in the world.

I hope that is what you have living next you! Otherwise, complain about the dog behavior and mention your breed suspicions.

good luck!

Old 07-21-2010, 12:05 AM

198 posts, read 498,758 times
CentralAustinite, I suppose I could have asked for a DNA sample from the dog when i brought the new neighbors a welcome basket, but it seemed pointless since the neighbors were forthcoming that their dog is a pit bull. He seems like a sweet dog, not my cup of tea, but whatever. If he doesn't bark or eat cats or small children he's a nonevent in my life.
The point is, the complex does not allow pit or pit mixes (along with many other dogs; this dog is listed with the complex as a shar pei.
Who, if anyone, is responsible for attending to apartment deed restrictions?
As with most apartment leasing offices, this one takes a "head in the sand" approach.

As a postscript to your comments on pits. My son volunteers at Austin Pets Alive and many of their dogs are pits or pit mixes and all of them sweethearts. Unfortunately many were treated horribly, ears cut off with scissors, paws (yes paws) off..... Even with all the horrible abuse, they bonded with volunteers who showed them affections and attention.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:50 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,031,530 times
I don't think that apartments have deed restrictions, or more precisely that rules like allowed dog breeds are not on the deed. So (not a lawyer) there probably isn't more you can do about enforcement since it is the management company's rule and they have chosen not to enforce it. Do they enforce other rules like no grills within 10 feet of the building, etc.?

You could bring it to management's attention and it they are a big corporate outfit, you could try the corporate parent. They probably have the rule in place for their insurance coverage. You could try to find out who that was and contact them. If you wanted to break your lease, you could try using their non-enforcement of the rule as a reason. Texas is general is very landlord friendly. So not sure how well it would work.

APA is a great organization! A big obstacle to the adoption of many of their pit mixes is that they will adopt them to anyone in an apartment with breed restrictions. They require folks to show them the pet policy and get written approval.

good luck!

Old 07-24-2010, 10:18 AM

370 posts, read 996,363 times
Most apartments have strong restrictions on breed, and breaking the rule is
a big no no, and either the tenant gets rid of the dog, or is evicted.

This happened several times at my last place.

A lot of pit bulls seem really sweet, but can snap, or attack other dogs.
I have a small dog, that is not a fighting breed, and would immediate report
a pit bull, and tell the apartment to fix the problem.

Anyone injured by an aggressive breed can bring suit against an apartment,
and I'm sure they are well aware.

Every apt I have lived in, has made my bring my dog to there office for verification.

Below is my attack dog, she usually passes inspeciton

Old 07-25-2010, 04:26 PM

24 posts, read 91,475 times
i find it funny that Pit bulls are often mislabeld as such. You will rarely find an actual american pitbull terrier or a purebred staffordshire terrier. they are almost always mutts of some kind you'll also notice that the people who are typically owners of pitbulls have them as a status symbol of some sort rather than to have a good pet. That is where the miconception of them being bad dogs comes from. if I myself was trying to show how manly I was would purchase a Presa Canario or a Cane Corso two terrifyingly large dogs with the presa being bred only to fight. I however own a beautiful all black german shepherd and i can't rent from anywhere hardly because they are banned as well. I hate dog bans because it's the owners who are bad people the dogs are just products of how they were raised.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:36 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,373,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc007 View Post
A lot of pit bulls seem really sweet, but can snap, or attack other dogs.
I have a small dog, that is not a fighting breed, and would immediate report
a pit bull, and tell the apartment to fix the problem.

Below is my attack dog, she usually passes inspeciton
What an adorable doggy! She's just too cute! Awww ...! Awww!

We had an "issue" in my apartment complex recently, two guys with a pit bull. The dog would slip its leash routinely and go after other (smaller) dogs in the complex. It got really ugly--the pit mangled a small dog. Once I saw the owner on the street walking the dog; the dog got away and attacked a border collie that was bring walked with mother who was pushing a pram. Not cool. Every now and then, my indoor cat will slip outside whenever I leave or come in. That pit would destroy my kitty in a heartbeat, no question about it.

A couple of weeks ago, I overheard him outside talking on the phone trying to rehome the dog "quickly," so I guess enough people here complained to management. I was one of them. It was a dangerous situation with only one possible outcome.

All I could think was that the pit's new owners were in for a world of hurt. I hope to heaven that they live way, way, way out in the boonies with no other animals, livestock, pets or children ...

Old 01-09-2011, 11:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,514 times
What is the problem if it is a pit? Pits bulls are so nice unless they are treated in a bad manor like micheal vick fighting them and stupid people who like to make them vicious the breed by nature is not mean they were at one time known as americas babysitter for the children. they protect kids unless they are treated bad or bred badly but i have had worse expiriences with golden retrievers attacking my children than pits so no dog can be singled out because the breed base it on the dog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: