Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSpartan View Post
People shopping at WalMart are not the ones that can afford any of the furniture stores on Anderson.
Here we go, the classic "Wal Mart is only for the low(er) income people". Please! Haven't folks received the memo yet that Wal Mart has shoppers of all races and classes? I wonder if some people here would be complaining about a Target. No wait, ,"Tar-jay".

I've seen the new Wal Mart tonight en route to Conans. I have to stay that it is a pretty nice looking building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
SOME people didn't want Walmart at Northcross. SOME people didn't want the originally planned super-size Walmart.

SOME people in the area were happy to see a Walmart rejuvenate a dead mall turning into an eyesore.

Eventually Walmart adjusted their design and I believe most of the area accepts it as a good thing.

Please tell me what local businesses in the Northcross area are harmed by Walmart. The Northcross area is dominated by furniture stores, some restaurants, and a host of odds and ends retail that might actually benefit from more shoppers in the area.

They are lucky they even had a say at all!

If it met zoning, I don't see where the problem was?

Old 07-23-2010, 09:42 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
WM puts little towns out of business. They seek and obtain the kind of property tax relief that no other kind of businesses can get.

WM sells lots and lots of junk that no one needs, and it's what's gotten the US into the mess that it's in- mortgaging our future for a lot of cheap imported 'stuff'.
Including such junk as TVs, groceries, gardening supplies (which I do need), and all sorts of useful items all under one roof.

I can get you about big bad Wal Mart squeezing competition, but from a consumers perspective -- the average, everyday one like myself -- the made-in-China junk they sell is no different than made-in-China junk all the others sell. And it only makes up a portion of what Wal Mart sells. Wal Mart sells things my household needs on a daily basis, and I'm glad that it is a shopping option should I choose I use it.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:12 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
How many TVs do we need? How many rakes? I agree that Target & co are all about rampant consumerism, but I'm trying- really trying- to be less materialistic. I love to spend money on good food, organic and/or locally grown, but for the 'stuff' I'm being very, very thoughtful. If I really NEED it, I'll try Goodwill before I try WM or Target.

Agree with the upposter- if a building meets zoning, that's pretty much it, no matter how much neighbors don't want something. It's up to them to change zoning.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:43 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
WM puts little towns out of business. They seek and obtain the kind of property tax relief that no other kind of businesses can get.

WM sells lots and lots of junk that no one needs, and it's what's gotten the US into the mess that it's in- mortgaging our future for a lot of cheap imported 'stuff'.
I don't think you have ever set foot in a WalMart. They sell inexpensive to medium priced goods that people use everyday. Clothes, household items, appliances, pharma, etc. They sell many of the same things HEB, BestBuy, etc. sell for higher prices. People aren't hurting themselves with what they buy at Walmart - it's the too-big house and the too expensive car - which Walmart has nothing to do with.

I buy auto supplies there. They have the lowest prices on motor oil and other auto maintenance items.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:34 PM

625 posts, read 1,134,066 times
FWIW the nearest walmart from northcross mall is less than five miles away. There are over ten locations in the metro. How many more do we need?

Old 07-24-2010, 06:42 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
WM puts little towns out of business.
The US Interstate Highway system and large Corp farming interests have put small farmers and towns out of business to a degree that dwarfs any impact Walmart made. See the movie "Cars".

People, as usual, just get mad at the wrong things and attribute outcomes to whatever they want to dislike, hate or blame. Ultimately, the consumer is responsible for who stays in business in a free enterprise system. It's the American consumer who chooses whether to support the mom and pop stores or to shop at large discount retailers.

Steve

Old 07-24-2010, 07:47 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times
Haven't we all got enough stuff already? I think it would be neat if neighborhoods had community barns where one could borrow those things we only use occasionally like ladders, lawn mowers, tools, etc. The new WM is near my house; I will go there once to check it out and maybe buy my Hanes underwear but that's about it.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I don't think you have ever set foot in a WalMart. They sell inexpensive to medium priced goods that people use everyday. Clothes, household items, appliances, pharma, etc. They sell many of the same things HEB, BestBuy, etc. sell for higher prices. People aren't hurting themselves with what they buy at Walmart - it's the too-big house and the too expensive car - which Walmart has nothing to do with.

I buy auto supplies there. They have the lowest prices on motor oil and other auto maintenance items.

Actually, I HAVE been to WM! I was shocked by the massive quantity of STUFF they had. Honestly, how many khakis does a person need? A house (and maybe a car- depends) are investments. Plastic palm tree placemats are not. That's all. I don't shop there because I actually do like to save money- by living simply and not buying a lot of STUFF.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
The US Interstate Highway system and large Corp farming interests have put small farmers and towns out of business to a degree that dwarfs any impact Walmart made. See the movie "Cars".

People, as usual, just get mad at the wrong things and attribute outcomes to whatever they want to dislike, hate or blame. Ultimately, the consumer is responsible for who stays in business in a free enterprise system. It's the American consumer who chooses whether to support the mom and pop stores or to shop at large discount retailers.

Steve
To a certain extent, I agree with you. If we actually had a free enterprise system, it would work that way. If companies could actually compete on an even playing field. However, the facts speak differently. WM obtains the sweetheart tax deals that other, smaller retailers do not.

As our economy worsens, or shall I say, stabilizes , you will see that we will return to a simpler way of life and the WM (and Target, Costco, Best Buy, etc.) monster will be tamed.

In any case, I hope that the smaller, independent Austin stores like Breeds can hold on that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin