Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 03:24 PM

8 posts, read 12,324 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a trip for hubby and I to Austin in the next few months. We would like to experience Austin to it's fullest, before we even consider making a move. I have been searching city data for areas to explore, places to eat and things do while we are there. This forum has been very helpful. We will be in Austin on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday night and we will most likely be staying at Hotel San Jose or the Austin Motel. We will be renting a car, so we are also able to explore some areas outside of Austin. I have made a list of all the things that we plan to do, but could use some help in finding some drinking establishments to go to. We would like to avoid the bars that are known as college bars. Would this be all of 6th street? Where do people in their early 30's like to go? We are not into clubbing, and would prefer to find some funky, eclectic bars with live music and a good beer selection. Can some of the locals please point us in the right direction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 03:35 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Dolce Vita is an interesting espresso/gelato/bar worth a visit. UT students go there, but so do other "cool" people.

The Gingerman has fantastic beer but I don't know about live music.

Fion on Bee Caves Rd. is a bit of neighborhood place that unusually is both a wine bar and beer pub. Their draft beer selection is very good - one of the best selections of IPAs in town. They had live music (no one famous!) last weekend.

My experience has been that most "live music" places have commodity beer, not good beer.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:43 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Saxon Pub and the Continental Club for music and beer. The Horseshoe Lounge, and what's the one on Burnet? The Poodle-something? The place with chickensh*t bingo, I'd try those for the fast-disappearing sense of old Austin, and maybe the beer co-op at Lamar and Airport.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:45 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
If you stay on the west end of 6th street (West of Lavaca), the bars are for a more young professional crowd. Hardly any college students. Also 4th and Colorado (Warehouse district) and 2nd street. And of course SoCo, where it sounds like you are staying. I'd recommend:

- Continental Club (for music, SoCo)
- Saxon Pub (intimate live music and beer, South Lamar)
- Opal Devines (west 6th street, for super laid back burger and good beer/scotch, patio hangout)
- The Belmont (nice patio, live music, a bit more expensive, west 6th)
- Alamo Drafthouse (ok, not music - but beer and movies, and right near Saxon Pub in the SoLa/SoCo general area)
- Shady Grove on Barton Springs road has live music, and it's a neat little area next to Zilker Park: http://www.theshadygrove.com/unplug.html (broken link). You can go to the famous Flip Happy Crepes trailer for desert, if it's open (weird hours).
- If you've never been, drive out to the Oasis when they have live music. I believe that's Thurs-Sun. Their music venue is the Starlight Cafe and is adjacent to the restaurant.
- For other food and beer closer-in, but still on the lake and laid back, try one of the places at Oyster Landing. That's the Hula Hut, Abel's on the Lake, and Mozarts.

And again, anything on WEST 6th, or in the SoCo area, should be perfect for early 30's crowd. Just walk into a place. And you may want to go ahead and hit up East 6th street, there are definitely some places that aren't college hangouts. Go early evening (or on a weekday) to get a feel for some of the places, before the throngs of people) then stay if you find something you like.

Oh, I guess another couple for funky Austin vibe, as in old dives that are still around (sometimes, probably don't keep regular hours). Not that the food is any good, but you have been warned:
* Dry Creek Cafe (next to Mt Bonnell): http://www.yelp.com/biz/dry-creek-ca...at-dock-austin
* Ski Shores Cafe, lake Austin: http://www.yelp.com/biz/ski-shores-c...hores%20austin

Last edited by atxcio; 07-30-2010 at 03:53 PM..

Old 07-31-2010, 05:05 PM

132 posts, read 496,826 times
I second Ski Shores and The Ginger Man. I'll add to the list:

NXNW (North by Northwest) - Brew pub and restaurant with great beer abd food
Shoal Creek Bar & Grill
Texas Chili Parlor

Have fun!

D

Old 07-31-2010, 05:34 PM

322 posts, read 846,788 times
I'll add Dog and Duck, Lovejoys (off of 6th, but not a college bar, they have good beer), and Ego's on south congress.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:55 PM

99 posts, read 180,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
If you stay on the west end of 6th street (West of Lavaca), the bars are for a more young professional crowd. Hardly any college students. Also 4th and Colorado (Warehouse district) and 2nd street. And of course SoCo, where it sounds like you are staying. I'd recommend:

- Continental Club (for music, SoCo)
- Saxon Pub (intimate live music and beer, South Lamar)
- Opal Devines (west 6th street, for super laid back burger and good beer/scotch, patio hangout)
- The Belmont (nice patio, live music, a bit more expensive, west 6th)
- Alamo Drafthouse (ok, not music - but beer and movies, and right near Saxon Pub in the SoLa/SoCo general area)
- Shady Grove on Barton Springs road has live music, and it's a neat little area next to Zilker Park: Unplugged at the Grove (http://www.theshadygrove.com/unplug.html - broken link). You can go to the famous Flip Happy Crepes trailer for desert, if it's open (weird hours).
- If you've never been, drive out to the Oasis when they have live music. I believe that's Thurs-Sun. Their music venue is the Starlight Cafe and is adjacent to the restaurant.
- For other food and beer closer-in, but still on the lake and laid back, try one of the places at Oyster Landing. That's the Hula Hut, Abel's on the Lake, and Mozarts.

And again, anything on WEST 6th, or in the SoCo area, should be perfect for early 30's crowd. Just walk into a place. And you may want to go ahead and hit up East 6th street, there are definitely some places that aren't college hangouts. Go early evening (or on a weekday) to get a feel for some of the places, before the throngs of people) then stay if you find something you like.

Oh, I guess another couple for funky Austin vibe, as in old dives that are still around (sometimes, probably don't keep regular hours). Not that the food is any good, but you have been warned:
* Dry Creek Cafe (next to Mt Bonnell): Dry Creek Cafe & Boat Dock - Austin, TX
* Ski Shores Cafe, lake Austin: Ski Shores Cafe - Austin, TX

Ski Shores is closed currently. It is a long drive for most folks to find that out. I was surprised to hear that. It was always a fun place. I don’t know if they will reopen at a new location or the circumstances that led to them closing.

The Draught House is a good place also.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:41 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzle of Bees View Post
Ski Shores is closed currently. It is a long drive for most folks to find that out. I was surprised to hear that. It was always a fun place. I don’t know if they will reopen at a new location or the circumstances that led to them closing.

The Draught House is a good place also.
Ski Shore is open. It re-opened this spring with new owners. I have not been but have been told it is better than it was.

Draught House is a good place.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:47 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,345 times
Love the Draught House, too.

Rutamaya for coffee, open mic and various and sundry Austin weirdness

Spider House or the Green Muse for coffee, tea, food, hanging out. Very Austin-ish.

Also, second Dolce Vita.

The bar inside of the Driskill Hotel isn't funky, but it's quite lovely, and the historic hotel is definitely worth seeing. Gorgeous place.

Personally, I like the brew at Uncle Billy's Brew & Q on Barton Springs.

Pretty much anywhere in the area you're staying is fairly awesome. It goes to the heart and soul of Austin.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:03 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzle of Bees View Post
Like hoffdano, I had also heard it re-opened recently after being closed. New owner, new (more expensive) menu, but the basically the same old place in the same old spot. Apparently the old owners aren't happy about the new ones, but I believe it is open. Unless it closed a second time. Anyway, this is the site for "Ski Shores Cafe 2010" : SKI SHORES 2010
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: