Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 02:24 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times

Advertisements

We need to go to Austin this Thursday for funeral
visitation is in Lakeway thursday night and funeral will be at church in Spicewood Friday
right now not sure where the burial will be--could be out of town where the person grew up--

how bad would driving in from Marble Falls to Lakeway be?
I know the map shows that it is fairly close

am having trouble getting some place that is not inside Austin--and don't want to drive that far--especially if funeral is Friday morning--
guess people are at the lake for the weekend or maybe coming in for college to drop their kids off...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 02:58 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
We need to go to Austin this Thursday for funeral
visitation is in Lakeway thursday night and funeral will be at church in Spicewood Friday
right now not sure where the burial will be--could be out of town where the person grew up--

how bad would driving in from Marble Falls to Lakeway be?
I know the map shows that it is fairly close

am having trouble getting some place that is not inside Austin--and don't want to drive that far--especially if funeral is Friday morning--
guess people are at the lake for the weekend or maybe coming in for college to drop their kids off...
The drive from Marble Falls to Lakeway would be about 30-35 minutes. It is an easy drive. You can also cut the corner between 71 and 620 using Bee Creek Rd. and Highland Blvd to save at least 5 minutes.

As for hotels in the area I assume you already looked at Lakeway Inn, the Hampton on 620, and Mountain Star Lodge.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:08 PM

I was not too impressed with the writeups about the Hampton--
Mountain Star Lodge looks pretty much out in the county--how far from a place to eat would it be?
Lakeway is over 200 a night

we have been in Austin area before and I know that traffic getting to and from the lake can be a pain even not at rush hour
that is why I was thinking Marble Falls might be a better shot--

there seem to be couple of newer motels out there...

Old 08-02-2010, 03:25 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I was not too impressed with the writeups about the Hampton--
Mountain Star Lodge looks pretty much out in the county--how far from a place to eat would it be?
Lakeway is over 200 a night

we have been in Austin area before and I know that traffic getting to and from the lake can be a pain even not at rush hour
that is why I was thinking Marble Falls might be a better shot--

there seem to be couple of newer motels out there...
I know very little about Mountain Star Lodge other than where it is. It is 5 minutes from Lakeway. But perhaps you are not remembering correctly where Lakeway is?

I suppose the Hampton is just like other Hampton Inns - a mid-priced chain that is probably more than adequate (at least for me).

There are many restaurants in or near Lakeway and Spicewood ranging from fast food to chain food (Chilis) to bar food (Mulligans) to some very good dining (Backstage Steakhouse or Hudsons on the Bend).

Old 08-02-2010, 03:31 PM

thanks for the help
made rez for the Hampton--someone my husband knows is staying there as well so he was satisfied
I just don't like driving around the Lake at night--hard to see street signs, poorly lighted

Old 08-02-2010, 03:39 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
I agree the Hampton Inn or Mountain Star Lodge http://www.mountainstarlodge.com/ are your best bets close to Lakeway. The roads are good and lots of places to eat near by.

In SW Austin, there is a decent:

Extended Stay America Hotel Austin - Southwest‎
5100 Us Hwy. 290 W
Austin, TX 78735
(512) 892-7472
Austin - Southwest, Overview - Extended Stay America

and a:

La Quinta Inn & Suites Austin Southwest at Mopac‎
4424 South Mopac Expwy
Austin, TX 78735
(512) 899-3000
La Quinta Inn & Suites - Austin Southwest at Mopac, Texas Hotels

Both very reasonably priced and only 17 miles, 33 minutes to Lakeway.

There are lots of good restaurants very close by in the area, let me know if you need more specific recommendations.

Last edited by CptnRn; 08-02-2010 at 03:52 PM..

Old 08-03-2010, 10:41 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Mountain Star Lodge is right smack dab in between Lakeway and Spicewood. It is also a stones throw from a bunch of restaurants and stores.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:21 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Mountain Star Inn is a nice place, but overpriced. Hampton Inn, because it is only about 2 years old, is also nice and more reasonably priced. It is also the closest to Lakeway. I have stayed at both. I would pick Hampton. I have also stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, which is north on 620 at Pecan Park, and that is also very nice. We stay there if there aren't rooms at the Hampton.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:28 AM

we have the rez at the Hampton and think it will be fine...
Mountain Star seemsed too much like a resort--
I even checked out some of the VRBO listings in the area but they were summer-expensive...

thanks for everyone's input
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: