Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 09:03 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,236 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I've seen old posts here about U-Verse vs. Dish or DirectTV, etc but they were fairly old so I thought I'd get some updated info. I live in the Steiner Ranch area and am thinking of getting U-Verse but dang it's pretty expensive. Is it worth the price or is going with satellite recommended? If so, Dish or DirectTV? I just really wanna get away from TWC.

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 10:12 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
Hi all. I've seen old posts here about U-Verse vs. Dish or DirectTV, etc but they were fairly old so I thought I'd get some updated info. I live in the Steiner Ranch area and am thinking of getting U-Verse but dang it's pretty expensive. Is it worth the price or is going with satellite recommended? If so, Dish or DirectTV? I just really wanna get away from TWC.

Thanks all!
there are some very recent posts, like last month. Maybe try searching some more...

Old 08-02-2010, 11:27 PM

473 posts, read 1,327,939 times
I'm a new Steiner transplant, and just got internet (highest bandwidth), local/long-distance phone, and every channel they offer (every premium channel) for $160/month. That sounds pretty solid to me. Coming from CA, I was a diehard Dish Network subscriber, but I switched to Uverse two years ago and haven't looked back. The integrated DVR is excellent, huge selection of HD channels, consistent picture and quality, can't remember any downtime, excellent customer service, and although I rarely use the feature - the ability to be able to set a show to tape remotely thru the web is pretty cool. My only real complaint is that they should rotate the PPV movies more often. But in lieu of that, if you get the premium channels, almost all their movie content is available on demand, as well. Very satisfied Uverse customer. By the way, I just signed up two weeks ago (just moved into Steiner) and they offered me $45/month discount if I committed for one year.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
there are some very recent posts, like last month. Maybe try searching some more...
Considering I know someone who works for U-Verse and advised me the quality will vary depending upon your location, those older posts weren't applicable to me. So no need to reply to a post you aren't at all helpful on.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfCalifornia View Post
I'm a new Steiner transplant, and just got internet (highest bandwidth), local/long-distance phone, and every channel they offer (every premium channel) for $160/month. That sounds pretty solid to me. Coming from CA, I was a diehard Dish Network subscriber, but I switched to Uverse two years ago and haven't looked back. The integrated DVR is excellent, huge selection of HD channels, consistent picture and quality, can't remember any downtime, excellent customer service, and although I rarely use the feature - the ability to be able to set a show to tape remotely thru the web is pretty cool. My only real complaint is that they should rotate the PPV movies more often. But in lieu of that, if you get the premium channels, almost all their movie content is available on demand, as well. Very satisfied Uverse customer. By the way, I just signed up two weeks ago (just moved into Steiner) and they offered me $45/month discount if I committed for one year.
Wow, really? They told me when I called they can offer me $25 off a month for 6 months. With the tv, internet, and cable which includes only HBO I would be paying $155 or so w/o tax. They are offering those Visa cards however to sweeten the deal, but I'm not sold quite yet.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:50 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
I have TWC with internet but I don't have home phone service, using a cell only. I've been considering switching t DirecTV, used them years ago and was highly satisfied.

End result, if I switched I'd have to have phone copper pair to get the internet so there's no savings for me. If I were to switch, it would be to DirecTV with ATT naked DSL. But it would gain me nothing. Well, I could get the Independent Film Channel but I'm not suffering yet.

What would you be gaining or saving if you made the switch? Remember, with satellite you will be subject to rain fade, not a problem with cable or fiber.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:17 AM

473 posts, read 1,327,939 times
Quote:
Wow, really? They told me when I called they can offer me $25 off a month for 6 months. With the tv, internet, and cable which includes only HBO I would be paying $155 or so w/o tax. They are offering those Visa cards however to sweeten the deal, but I'm not sold quite yet.
I might have gotten a sweeter deal because I was moving existing service from another state. Beyond that, I think they are willing to negotiate on the phone. Tell them that DISH called and offered you a sweet deal and I bet they'll try and beat it.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I have TWC with internet but I don't have home phone service, using a cell only. I've been considering switching t DirecTV, used them years ago and was highly satisfied.

End result, if I switched I'd have to have phone copper pair to get the internet so there's no savings for me. If I were to switch, it would be to DirecTV with ATT naked DSL. But it would gain me nothing. Well, I could get the Independent Film Channel but I'm not suffering yet.

What would you be gaining or saving if you made the switch? Remember, with satellite you will be subject to rain fade, not a problem with cable or fiber.
To be honest, the price would be about the same. My main issue with TWC is their beyond horrible customer service and believe it or not I have outages when there's not even rain. My 2 year price agreement "contract" is up with them and when I called them to tell them I was leaving they pretty much just offered to keep me at about the same rate instead of increasing it to what it is now for new customers. Now my boss called and threatened to leave and they cut his bill about $20 or so per month. They are offering me a savings of $5. Big deal! Plus I think their DVRs suck.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:51 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
Quote:
Plus I think their DVRs suck.
Yes, that is really the only reason that I switched from Time Warner to Uverse and I've been happy with the DVR that Uverse provides. I didn't want to get locked into a two year DirecTV contract. Uverse doesn't have a contract and installation was free so there was really no risk on my end. It also left me open to go back to Time Warner in a year if they actually get up to date DVRs.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:54 AM

481 posts, read 2,416,627 times
Love, love, love my Uverse. Whole house DVR is the best thing ever to happen to DVR's. I have never had an outage with Uverse (been with then over a year now) and I can't say that about TWC.

I will never go back to TWC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin