Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 10:58 AM

193 posts, read 1,027,996 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live with our 3 boys in Omaha, Nebraska. He is a measure agent for flooring and business is not going well here. I think the industry is so saturated with installers, measure agents and floor managers that there is not enough work here.
My husband wants to go to Austin and find a job and have the kids and I go down after we sell the house. I am scared, my husband and I have lived here with our families forever! I don't mind moving but I am afraid of the unknown. Tornadoes scare me and my son and I both have alergies. Yet I hear the housing is very in-expensive in Austin. We have a 1500 sq.ft. 3-bedroom home that we can probably sell for around 140,000. I think we would rent in Austin first and buy a year later just to make sure we made the right decision. Also, the schools in Papillion where we live are excellent. What are the schools like in Austin. We are very conservative people and have heard that we would not like Austin. Please someone please give me some information. What is the work availability like and is it worth looking into. Also if anyone knows someone in the flooring industry how are they doing for work?

Thanks,
Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 11:47 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
One of my old friends from High School lives in Nebraska. She moved here for a short time, planning on bringing her 3 daughters, but had to move back because her mom got breast cancer. I could ask her what her opinion was. She still plans on moving back once her mom is in the clear.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:55 AM

Smile thanks!

That would be great!!

Old 06-25-2007, 12:13 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,650,964 times
Well my hubby and I lived for 3 yrs in Papillion off on S. Polk street. Austin is a great place to go and the houses are going to be about the same price it sounds like. Now you do have the family factor that you are going to miss. I think it would be go for the family to visit the area to get a small feel for it. The schools in the suburbs seem to be better on a whole than in Austin ISD but there are good and bad every where. We are from here and never got used to the winter at all. Its a hard thing to get used to and we being from Texas the local cornhuskers did not take to kindly to us at the time cause thats the years UT always beat them (90s). Lots more to do here but I do miss the zoo!

Old 06-25-2007, 12:15 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
I have a friend who works in one of the larger companies that does carpet installation (mostly commercial, some residential). I am assuming this is the industry your husband is in. As I understand it, it is dominated by a relatively small number of larger companies, with some smaller ones fitting in the gaps. Anyway, this is one of the labor intensive industries that gets lots of cheap labor from both legal and illegal immigrants. Make sure your husband checks out the work market carefully to make sure he will make enough money.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:30 PM

My husband is more of a measure agent now and would not even mind getting into warehouse work. He no longer installs. (hard on the knees).

Old 06-25-2007, 07:40 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdsag View Post
My husband and I live with our 3 boys in Omaha, Nebraska. He is a measure agent for flooring and business is not going well here. I think the industry is so saturated with installers, measure agents and floor managers that there is not enough work here.
My husband wants to go to Austin and find a job and have the kids and I go down after we sell the house. I am scared, my husband and I have lived here with our families forever! I don't mind moving but I am afraid of the unknown. Tornadoes scare me and my son and I both have alergies. Yet I hear the housing is very in-expensive in Austin. We have a 1500 sq.ft. 3-bedroom home that we can probably sell for around 140,000. I think we would rent in Austin first and buy a year later just to make sure we made the right decision. Also, the schools in Papillion where we live are excellent. What are the schools like in Austin. We are very conservative people and have heard that we would not like Austin. Please someone please give me some information. What is the work availability like and is it worth looking into. Also if anyone knows someone in the flooring industry how are they doing for work?

Thanks,
Lisa

A friend of mine owns a commercial flooring business (did the childrens hospital) and business is booming.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:27 PM

260 posts, read 1,331,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdsag View Post

Thanks,
Lisa
The Wall Street Journal and Moody's Economics named Austin the best city in the nation last week. They factor in economy, quality of life, living expenses, and annual increase in household income.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:29 AM

thanks for the information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin