Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 06:57 PM

6 posts, read 16,211 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have finally moved into Austin. Me and my GF are on a tight budget at the moment and looking for things to do on the cheap. We have been to the state and art museums, Barton Springs, ice skating.. And now we are out of ideas for the coming weekends. Anyone able to point some stuff to do? Preferably on the cheap at the moment but anything will do.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 07:05 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,081,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raksasas View Post
Hi,
I have finally moved into Austin. Me and my GF are on a tight budget at the moment and looking for things to do on the cheap. We have been to the state and art museums, Barton Springs, ice skating.. And now we are out of ideas for the coming weekends. Anyone able to point some stuff to do? Preferably on the cheap at the moment but anything will do.

Thanks.
head out to bob wentz park, have a bbq and go swimming in the lake

Old 08-11-2010, 07:42 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,560,767 times
The Hot Sauce Festival is in a couple weeks and is free with three healthy non-perishable food donations. There is free live music there.

Hot Sauce Festival - AustinChronicle.com

Free movies in the park start back up on September 1st (Wednesday night).

Austin Parks Foundation's Movies in the Park at Republic Square

Pick up a Chronicle tomorrow as it comes out on Thursdays and has a good calendar section with free (and pay) events for the upcoming weekend.

Pick up a Chronicle - AustinChronicle.com

Old 08-11-2010, 08:55 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,832,498 times
Blues on the Green (ending soon):
93.3 KGSR Blues On The Green

Rent a kayak ($9-10 per hour) on Ladybird Lake

Take your mountain bikes (or rent some) on the Barton Creek greenbelt

Hamilton Pool

Krause Springs

Eat at the trailers off South Congress, South Lamar, Barton Springs Rd (have diff things at each)

LBJ Library and Capitol Building / Capital Visitors Center (various exhibits) are free

Picnic at Mount Bonnell

Have coffee at Mozart's (relatively cheap)

Old 08-12-2010, 08:58 AM

2,268 posts, read 7,315,947 times
For cheap eats, sign up for Groupon, Living Social, and Restaurant.com. The discounts are amazing and you get to try all kinds of new places.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:14 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,078,890 times
High school football season starts soon. Games are cheap in general.

Round Rock Express minor league baseball games are fun and pretty cheap - but a bit of a drive.

For something a bit further out of town - go to Fredericksburg and climb Enchanted Rock. Go in the morning when it is still cool (relatively!).

Old 08-12-2010, 11:16 AM

20 posts, read 134,323 times
I you are into biking there are several biking tails you can explore, we really like Brushy Creek Regional Trail, Brushy Creek Regional Trail, lots of shade. There is also the Town Lake trail is really nice... there are several others as well.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:17 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,832,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
For cheap eats, sign up for Groupon, Living Social, and Restaurant.com. The discounts are amazing and you get to try all kinds of new places.
Good suggestions, also try The Dealmap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin