Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 05:24 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Exactly!!!! It just infuriates me that CAMPO is even considering tolling a road that's been there for 30 years and paid for....Mopac! They just can't stay out of our wallets...
The latest justification is that any new toll roads along tax paid routes will have non-tolled surface alternatives that will be comparable to the existing traffic. Well, the taxes and bonds were paid to improve and expand the existing roadways, not keep them status quo.

Today I had to travel from Oak Hill to three different Round Rock destinations today. I zipped up Mopac to SH45, then missed my exit to IH35 north because I wasn't paying attention, had to turn around at the Greenlawn exit back to IH35, then had to wait at least 5 turns of the traffic light to get through the intersection heading north in the IH35 feeder next to Dell. This was at 1:30 in the afternoon. Jeez, it took as long to get through that one intersection as it did to get from 45th street to IH35 and SH45. I never have to wait 5 turns of the light to get through 290W/William Cannon, even in the worst traffic. I guess my point is, well, I forgot what my point is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 05:40 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Most people's eyes glaze over with the topic of tolls, but I find it a fascinating example of government run amok. We *already* pay plenty of gas taxes and car registration to cover maintenance of existing highways. There is no reasonable explanation for tolling existing highways. If CAMPO's goal is to promote carpooling (which IMHO is a wonderful goal!) then why not use a lane to two for HOV-3 or at least 2? I'll tell you why...because that's NOT their goal. Their goal is to fill their coffers and support a bloated government bureacracy. I think toll roads are appropriate for new roads...but once the road is paid for, the tolls should go away. I also wonder why developers aren't held more accountable to build transportation infrastructure when they build up new housing developments??

Old 06-27-2007, 05:47 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
While this is definitely a worthwhile discussion, it is off topic for the thread.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:26 PM
CLQ CLQ started this thread

207 posts, read 1,085,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I never have to wait 5 turns of the light to get through 290W/William Cannon, even in the worst traffic.

Interesting points. The traffic situation could change 290W/William Cannon once AMD is complete.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 06-30-2007 at 06:51 AM..

Old 06-27-2007, 08:42 PM

Default Back to where I should live - Westlake???

Besides traffic, I am also interested in quality education and a place to raise my two boys. I discovered what I think is Westlake - near the Barton Creek golf courses?? Is this area still considered Westlake. I'm not too sure if that is Westlake still since I only new of West Lake Hills which is way out of our price range. It is close to Lake Austin, the schools are great and a fairly close proximity to downtown by looking at the map, however the homes are slightly older but with bigger lots.

Is anyone familiar with this area that can answer these questions:

Is there lake access and boating in the lake? We are from Hawaii so water is important to us, especially my 6 and 8 yr old sons. Pulling them around on intertubes would make up for taking them away from the ocean.

How long does it take to get to downtown from Barton Creek during rush hour?

Which area would you recommend for us- Circle C, Oak Hill or Westlake (or the area I described above near Barton Creek) and why?

I appreciate all your opinions. All of you have been tremendously informative in this important decision of ours. Thank you!!

Old 06-28-2007, 07:02 PM

Which area would you recommend for us- Circle C, Oak Hill or Westlake (or the area I described above near Barton Creek) and why?

Those are such different neighborhoods, even though they're geographically close. Westlake is particular...the houses are generally alot nicer, the people are...well, think lots of blond tennis playing moms driving Escalades , Oak Hill is more granola, more laid back, smaller houses, more minivans maybe. Circle C is kind of in between, very middle class suburban, think Suburbans. The schools are all different, too. Westlake is Eanes...they have one mega high school, which is kind of OC like, MAJOR football fever, well known for being a great school district (although very large HS). Oak Hill is AISD, feeding into Austin High (a reall cross section of the Austin population, a good suburban school) and pretty good elem schools (Oak Hill, Patton) Circle C is also AISD, and they feed into Bowie HS (good) and Kiker elem (also good, great principal). Now that I've over generalized... go for it!

Old 06-28-2007, 09:10 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,452 times
I'm not sure that there's much, if anything, in Westlake for sale in the OP's stated housing budget of $325K, unfortunately...

Old 06-28-2007, 09:20 PM

I'm not sure that there's much, if anything, in Westlake for sale in the OP's stated housing budget of $325K, unfortunately...

Aren't there a few townhouses scattered through Westlake...by the mall, off Bee Caves...I think there are others. They're small and need work, but I think that they're out there...

Old 06-30-2007, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi927 View Post
If I were to find one, is this area worth it in terms of exemplary schools and location to buy an older home in Westlake vs. a newer and larger home in circle c with more community amenities and an above average school district but not quite eanes status?

Any thoughts?

Thanks for all your help! I'm not a spontaneous person when it comes to finding a home. I appreciate all of your comments.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:43 AM

If I were to find one, is this area worth it in terms of exemplary schools and location to buy an older home in Westlake vs. a newer and larger home in circle c with more community amenities and an above average school district but not quite eanes status?

That depends. I think that if you are comparing Bowie HS and Westlake HS, I would give the nod to Westlake. It is definitely a more homogeneous school district in terms of race, ethnicity and economics, and that makes for (unforturnately) a school where good teachers flock...it's easier to teach there. Also, depending on where you work, it's probably easier to get somewhere from Westlake than Circle C. But you're going to have to look long and hard to find something in your budget in Westlake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin