Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:26 AM

15 posts, read 29,240 times

Advertisements

first ... I feel bad that I have to put the color of my skin on the title. But that is a fact of life...
I am currently living in houston. Have relatives I visit and a fair number of friends from work church ....etc....

I am thinking of moving to Cedar Park for a better job opportunity. But I literally know no-one there.
My question is how integrated are balcks in that area among other groups ?
I don't want to limit my social groups to just blacks (if there are that many anyways....) And at least I don't want to feel the "un-welcoming" atmosphere that I , as a black person, have expereinced in some extent here in houston.
I have been to California, and found it so easy to make friends irregardless of my skin tone. Is Cedar Park that way? Or do I have to commute from austin to Cedar Park ? On the assumption that Austin is fairly friendly to Blacks ?

I would appreciate all the input I may get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 09:46 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,374 times
Cedar Park is very friendly to AA families. I was just there last weekend at a public park, and it seemed to be more diverse than what I was used to, with a higher proportion and wider range of ethnicities. The northern metro is generally middle to upper-middle class and is more diverse than Austin in general. "Austin diversity' usual consists of two groups, hispanic and anglo and is not "diverse" in the true sense of the word.

Last edited by jobert; 08-16-2010 at 10:38 AM..

Old 08-16-2010, 10:27 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,797,257 times
I think you would be fine up in Cedar Park.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:38 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,777,766 times
Are you looking to rent or own?

Are schools a consideration at all?

Where in Cedar Park are you "moving to" (it's a pretty big geographic area)?

Where will your employment be?

imo, most of CP would be "welcoming".....but some areas are fairly upper middle class white bread suburban (similar to dozens of areas & neighborhoods that surround West & North & SE Houston.)

Old 08-16-2010, 01:42 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,468,946 times
So you're saying upper middle class white suburabn neighborhoods are not welcoming?

Old 08-16-2010, 02:25 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,121,833 times
I live in Cedar Park and we have a pretty good mix of ethnicities in my neighborhood. I haven't noticed any issues but there may be some that I don't know about.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 15,814 times
I as a Black Man who is from the Houston area have lived and worked in Austin and that area for over ten years and was not made to feel unwelcome at all. I am in the construction bussiness and interact with all the monetary strata and i was as comfortable there as i am on the east side where there is a more Black feel.So come on down be welcome.... get that money you will love it here.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:25 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,883,127 times
Wells Branch in north Austin is a very diverse community and has a great reputation for being open and welcoming to everyone. I understand that Pflugerville is the same way.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:13 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,777,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
So you're saying upper middle class white suburabn neighborhoods are not welcoming?
Thanks for calling me out.....that sentence doesn't read well & it wasn't what i was trying to convey. I should have typed two sentences to answer two of his questions, instead of one long one.

Yes.....CP is "welcoming". (all of it)

Yes (imo).....some of CP resembles Houston's North, West, & SE suburbs (white bread, upper middle class, typical suburbs).

If i was black & wanted welcoming & wanted middle class & wanted to live in an area that was under 6% black, I'd consider CP.

If i was black & wanted welcoming & wanted middle class & wanted to move into an area that was 10-20% black, I'd consider areas that feed into McNeil or RR HS.....maybe other areas (Wells Branch?, Pville ?)

Old 08-20-2010, 07:46 AM

125 posts, read 293,786 times
There are allot of areas in Houston where a white face is not welcome.
We are very open here in Cedar Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin