Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:53 AM

48 posts, read 135,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
I would never use a cable or internet based phone for the house because if there is a power outage, then there is no phone. Of course with my cellphone that is not an issue either. Also would be concerned that my home alarm system would become disabled with a power outage too because the alarm which has a battery backup, also needs a working phone line.
Time Warner provides an internal battery backup on the cable router provided with phone service so power outages shouldn't be an issue.

When our service went down on a Saturday, TW came out and did an emergency repair on Sunday.

I cannot believe I am saying this, but TW Austin has excellent customer service as compared to my previous experience with TW Memphis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 08:39 PM

71 posts, read 145,996 times
You might also just try calling AT&T and asking for your plan to be cheaper. I have done this with many things. I had my cable once lowered $40 a month and I even called my credit card company and asked them to lower my rate and they did it on the spot. You can walk into a hotel ask them if they have a better rate, and they can give you the walk-away price. The price they are willing to give you for not walking away. NFL Sunday Ticket you can negotiate like crazy on too, my dad said he wouldn't renew so the dropped the price 50%. Sirius satellite radio? they will drop their prices 50% too.

My Time Warner phone has worked fine for me though. But it's always easier not to switch. Just say you have a TWC price of 39.99 or something and see if they will match.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:19 PM

653 posts, read 1,787,522 times
It is best to get an internet phone that is NOT dependent on your internet service provider.
It makes it much easier to switch internet providers later
(TW makes it difficult to cancel as well, even if one has a contract that allows one to cancel any time. I am going to have to cancel by going into default. They would not cancel my service, when I moved out of my apartment, due to my not knowing some pin number that I do not even have, or the exact date of my last payment. I knew my name, account number and called them from the same phone number they have on file.)

Old 08-24-2010, 04:39 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,835,400 times
Default AT&T Rip-Off

I changed over to AT&T U-verse around mid-June. Part of the inducement they offered at the time was "Get $100 Back" for signing up, in the form of a gift card.

We had a vacation scheduled, and numerous obligations after returning from the vacation to attend to so I didn't get around to trying to redeem the $100 gift card until today.

Guess what, it expired the end of July. I can find no place in the original offering that said the gift card has such a short shelf life.

I see they are now offering a "Get $350 Back" inducement on the same package deal I feel for. No wonder they offer such inducements when they know they will not have to honor most of them if people wait to long to claim the credit.

What a scam!

Anyone know a good class action lawsuit attorney?

Last edited by CptnRn; 08-24-2010 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: title

Old 08-24-2010, 09:24 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,964,319 times
[quote=CptnRn;
Anyone know a good class action lawsuit attorney?[/quote]

You wouldn't be fishin would you?

Old 08-24-2010, 09:29 PM

20 posts, read 134,163 times
Nothing bad against TimeWarner but when their pipe gets congested during peak hours, the internet sucks even with their faster connection which is not guarantee by the way. Cheaper does not always means better. Our internet usage is pretty heavy in our case, U-verse was the solution. I don't like AT&T because of their business practice and their customer support is one of the worst but once it is setup it works. I would like to try FIOS from Verizon but they couldn't figure it out, were not even sure they would cover my area or not, it was a waist of time.

The key to finding a provider you are happy with is understanding your needs and what the ISP provides at that point if you are satisfied with it then that's the one that works for you.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:48 AM

6,330 posts, read 17,981,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I changed over to AT&T U-verse around mid-June. Part of the inducement they offered at the time was "Get $100 Back" for signing up, in the form of a gift card.

We had a vacation scheduled, and numerous obligations after returning from the vacation to attend to so I didn't get around to trying to redeem the $100 gift card until today.

Guess what, it expired the end of July. I can find no place in the original offering that said the gift card has such a short shelf life.

I see they are now offering a "Get $350 Back" inducement on the same package deal I feel for. No wonder they offer such inducements when they know they will not have to honor most of them if people wait to long to claim the credit.

What a scam!

Anyone know a good class action lawsuit attorney?
Call customer service and try to work it out. Document your call and what you are told. When that fails, file a complaint with the Texas Public Utility Commission (PUC). You can do it online in a few minutes at the following link:
https://www.puc.state.tx.us/webapp/public/apps/complaint/ComplaintForm.aspx?type=t (broken link)

When PUC receives a complaint, they forward it to special ATT rep who's job it is to get the complaint resolved so that it doesn't blow up into a bigger full blown investigation by the PUC. You'll hear from them the same or next business day. They have the power to make you happy and are generally willing to do so.

I bet you'll get your coupon reinstated, or receive a new one if you follow those steps.

Steve

Old 08-26-2010, 01:31 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,835,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Call customer service and try to work it out. Document your call and what you are told. When that fails, file a complaint with the Texas Public Utility Commission (PUC). You can do it online in a few minutes at the following link:
https://www.puc.state.tx.us/webapp/public/apps/complaint/ComplaintForm.aspx?type=t (broken link)

When PUC receives a complaint, they forward it to special ATT rep who's job it is to get the complaint resolved so that it doesn't blow up into a bigger full blown investigation by the PUC. You'll hear from them the same or next business day. They have the power to make you happy and are generally willing to do so.

I bet you'll get your coupon reinstated, or receive a new one if you follow those steps.

Steve
You were right, I called and complained and they promised to give me a new one. Didn't even have to debate much about it. I was expecting it would be more difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin